Prospect Info: If Nylander remains a winger next year, how does our Center depth look?

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Matthews - Kadri is a strong centre core to build with, even if Nylander doesn't shift to the middle. A proper 3c is something we can draft or sign from a playoff position.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't mind Bozak. He's not very good in transition and very bad defensively, but he works well with offensive wingers and puts up points himself.

We're spoiled with him as our 3C as there are many teams that have to suffer with garbage players. There's no internal upgrade for him, but there also is no obvious potential FA we can sign that can replace his production at his price or less. I mean, we'd be looking at guys like Plekanec, Eller, and Filppula who are all worse. Backlund would be nice, but are you willing to spend $5-6M on your 3C?

I'd like even less going into next season like Pittsburgh using Gregg McKegg as their 3C, or trading good assets in a position of weakness.

We can't afford to pay that much for a #3C and Lou won't. I think somebody will be willing to pay more for TyBo than we would be willing to. We either have to sign or trade for a big fish to play #2C or a smaller fish to play #3C.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Bad....this is why i unfortunately see Kadri being traded. Also Gardiner. Why?

"JVR, Bozak, Komarov and Kadri they cant....well all return it just doesnt work that way..we dont have room."

Babcocks quote preseason. So you look at the named players. The you establish who has highest value and there is a clear 2..JVR and Kadri. Unfortunately to receive you must give. Kadri is on an amazing discount contract making him that much more attractive. If we say trade Bozak..itd be purely a pick or B prospect. Yes we could sweeten the pot with picks and prospects as well. But My gut tells me itll be JVR gone..if we were going to sign him to his self proclaimed discount I think we wouldve..plus Kapenen looks like he may stay up this time. Kadri goes as well may well be for ROR.

Outside NHL we have goat and miro. I think Goat goes in a deal as well. Gardiner is going as well esp IF this Barrie rumor has legs. I could see JVR and Jake and a 1st next yr for Barrie and Kerfoot or Jost. Kadri and maybe Goat or Leivo and somethinf for ROR and no idea lol

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO these are the options, ranked from most to least likely:

1) Sign a UFA centre who can play in our top 9 (it’s a very good UFA crop for centres. Signing someone like Backlund or Big Joe seems quite possible, and maybe even Tavares ...)

2) Re-sign Bozak (way more likely than most think, Babs seems to be a fan)

3) Marleau to centre

4) Nylander to centre

5) Trade for a top 9 centre (I think this is least likely because we have so many other strong options that don’t require trading assets)

Although my personal preference would be 1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5 (i.e. Nylander to centre the 2nd best option), it doesn’t seem like Babs trusts him there. He’s a pretty stubborn dude, so I’m not sure it’s too likely to happen.

Last edited:

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
I think we are set on defence this year and for the near future. Hainsey is a great addition in the off-season and Reilly is starting to prove he is a true 1d. Gardiner, Zai - and Dermott - are capable d3 to d5. I'm confident that Borgman will develop into the physical presence (with skills) to replace Polak soon ....and there is Lilligren down the road,
Our depth at center is thin by comparison. The fact that Leafs did not draft any serious prospect for this position in the last 3 years clearly suggests that Nylander is their designated future center. It is not a matter of if he will move to center - it is when. And we have the winger options to improvise.
If Tavares or Doughty makes FA (I doubt either would) we should pursue one of them at full force, even at the expense of trading one of Nylander or Marner to make cap-room.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We can't afford to pay that much for a #3C and Lou won't. I think somebody will be willing to pay more for TyBo than we would be willing to. We either have to sign or trade for a big fish to play #2C or a smaller fish to play #3C.

That's the problem. Most 3C in the league are either not worth acquiring, or they're too expensive. Best way to find one is either internally or FA.

Bozak just had a son, and his wife is from Toronto. It'd be strange to see him uproot his family and walk away for $1m/year extra after he's already made $25M in his career. He knows he's on an up and coming team, with a position/coach/teammates we can assume he's comfortable with.

FA isn't looking too good as I doubt we'll be in the running for Tavares, Thornton, Sedin, Stastny, and Backlund. That leaves Filppula, Eller, Plekanec, and Bozak. If he's willing to take a discount, why not?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Our Center depth if Nylander plays wing is weak. You have Mathews and Kadri. We have had an organizational weakness at C and G for a long time, then we drafted Mathews the year Kadri had a career year. In 3 years Kadri will want a lot more than he gets now. I don't think we have the choice, we are strong on the wing and Center light..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's the problem. Most 3C in the league are either not worth acquiring, or they're too expensive. Best way to find one is either internally or FA.

Bozak just had a son, and his wife is from Toronto. It'd be strange to see him uproot his family and walk away for $1m/year extra after he's already made $25M in his career. He knows he's on an up and coming team, with a position/coach/teammates we can assume he's comfortable with.

FA isn't looking too good as I doubt we'll be in the running for Tavares, Thornton, Sedin, Stastny, and Backlund. That leaves Filppula, Eller, Plekanec, and Bozak. If he's willing to take a discount, why not?

But at the same time, this is his last chance to make a big money deal (like 4 or 5 mil over 4-5 years) And I’m not sure Leafs management would be willing to give him that type of deal.

I think he chases the money on another team (the smarter thing to do for him pov).

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What exactly is the problem with being stronger on wing?

Chicago's amazing depth during their best days was on wing, and you really can't argue with their results. If you got your #1C, it's all good.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Brown
Grundstrom Tavares Marner
Martin Aaltonen Kapanen

Leivo Soshnikov Gauthier Johnsson

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can't see Nylander being a centre,,,maybe never. He certainly never seems drive back in own end defensively
Thornton is out with a MCL injury, can't think the Leafs could really want him. And realistically Tavares doesn't fit the Leafs cap next or set up for 2019/20. Please if think he fits, please consider the performance bonuses from this year which have to carried over to next year, and next years performance bonuses should be included into the 2018/19
Marleau might be the best 3C available as the Leafs can fill with other wingers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'd look to sign Backlund if he gets to UFA regardless of whether we see Nylander as a center long term or not. AS much as I want Nylander to be a C he's fine on the wing too for the time being if you could run Matthews, Kadri, Backlund. Gives you 3 centers who can handle both offense and defense. Babs doesn't need to shelter 1 line so much, though he'll line match no matter what the lines are it's just his nature.

If that's not an option and something with Tavares doesn't make sense I'd be fine with a cheaper option in free agency or going into next year with that question mark as both Marleau or Nylander can cover it. I wouldn't be hellbent on forcing it.

I don't really trust Goat at 4C either tbh, the numbers suggest he's been awful.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I have been hoping for:

Matthews-Nylander
RNH-Marner (shelter and let other teams cry)
Kadri-Brown

three duos to wreck havoc on opposition and on top of that RNH can kill penalties as well. Fill the left wing with Marleau, Hyman, Kappy, Leivo, Sosh, UFA, Johnson, Komarov, etc....

assuming Willy doesn't move to center; if he does then team dynamic changes a bit.

Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Kappy (sheltered line)
Kadri-Brown

and then choose the LW

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Aaltonen-Soshnikov
*Leivo/Gauthier

Moving Nylander to C takes care of our center depth, and also rightfully gives kapanen a top 9 spot
win-win

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Our center depth with Willy is bad. Without him, it looks dreadful. Note that I'm talking about depth here, obviously Matthews and Kadri is a very good top two. But behind them there'd be nothing but guys who fight for the #4C spot.

Even with Willy as center, I'm not comfortable with our center depth.

Reactions: Menzinger

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
personally I think if Nylander is staying at wing without ever getting an extended look as a center, that means that the brass feels like they have enough center options to warrant not splitting Matthews and Nylander up. Marleau as an internal option, and lots of other ways to acquire one.

Backlund is interesting, he'd be expensive but he'd save a considerable amount from Nylander's cap hit too by keeping him on the wing. Ideal shut down center that could let Kadri return to the offensive role that I think he's better suited for:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen-Backlund-Brown

that looks pretty dangerous to me

Backlund is gonna command 6mil+

with nylander,marner, and matthews all due for a big raise, how can they justify that on a 3c?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I bet we go for glendenjng this year. And then try for eller backlund etc

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Backlund is gonna command 6mil+

with nylander,marner, and matthews all due for a big raise, how can they justify that on a 3c?
I would guess $5-6M, and that contains the Nylander contract to Ehlers money rather than Draisatl money so in effect we get a little back of whatever Backlund costs.

it's a big piece of the budget for sure, but center's important so it's an option if Backlund gets to free agency. With Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Rielly/Kadri under contract there would be a pinch, but that would loosen as we started to let bigger contracts go/the cap rises and it should be easy enough to ice a 4th line that makes less than $4M with our depth

not the only option, but an option that gives us 3 solid lines

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Our center depth with Willy is bad. Without him, it looks dreadful. Note that I'm talking about depth here, obviously Matthews and Kadri is a very good top two. But behind them there'd be nothing but guys who fight for the #4C spot.

Even with Willy as center, I'm not comfortable with our center depth.

I slightly disagree. If you have Willy playing as a C diligently (like we know he can), then a 1-2 punch of great offensive talents in Matthews and Nylander creates match-up problems, as well as having Kadri as the third C. You would then only need a decent 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad