Prospect Info: If Nylander remains a winger next year, how does our Center depth look?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He’s playing Center next season.

I’m thinking the Leafs should do what the Pens do with Crosby. Give Matthews the inferior wingers (Hyman and Brown). Stack the PP with our young stars.

Kadri line is the match up line. Nylander’s line plays in the fun zone all game long. Nylander with Marner and Kapanen (one of them has to play LW).

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I would like nothing more to see JT here. Now that would just be unfair to the rest of the league.

Well i know it's a loooooonnnngggg shot BUT

Like Stamkos we had the cap space and he went to market, sooooo maybe

Never hurts to try and dream a little.

I mean Look at Pitt , they got Kessel for nothing that "hurt" them and somehow

got to keep Murray over Fleury and back to back cups when many thought their window closed.

I trust our management team and it feels like there is a little bit of "magic" back in this town

we scored shanny,hunter,Babs,sweet Lou,won the draft lotto and draft picks actually look like NHL players and traded for a legit tender.

heh,, whoda thunk it a few years ago.

Reactions: Petrus

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He has the ability to be an elite playmaker at C or at W. I hope we continue to use him as a C, that makes us one of the strongest teams in the league down the middle. He can elevate the other players on his line and that gives us a better triple threat than we have now. Imagine a Nylander centred line getting the soft offensive minutes that Bozak gets now. They would feast like kings.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've said it before. Nylander is a better player at center. It fits his playing style more naturally, and he doesn't get lulled down into passivity like he does as a winger. I think he showed that tonight. He was primarily matched up against a quality top six center in Krejci, and a terrific shutdown presence in Nash, and he dominated them.

He needs to work on clearing the puck though.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Yep, he should play C.

Hyman - Matthews - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Aaltonen - Leivo
Rychel

I think Matthews could use a skilled winger though.
*maybe swap Johnsson and Hyman*

GermanLeaf

Jun 9, 2011
I've said it before. Nylander is a better player at center. It fits his playing style more naturally, and he doesn't get lulled down into passivity like he does as a winger. I think he showed that tonight. He was primarily matched up against a quality top six center in Krejci, and a terrific shutdown presence in Nash, and he dominated them.

He needs to work on clearing the puck though.
I agree and from my viewings it's always been like that. Be it in Sweden, the AHL or now the NHL he isn't only more engaged in the play, but his best defensive 'assets', namely his stick work and his positioning (though not yet consistent), are a much greater factor at center than at wing in general. To add to that defensive boardplay isn't as immanent, an area which I feel plays the prominent part in his inconsistent attempts at clearing the puck. Breakout-options as a whole have a different dimension at center and aren't as spatially limited so it will be interesting to see how he progresses in that area. Offensively and in transition it's just a natural fit given his playstyle.

I'm wondering how much his passivity stems from playing in his self-perceived 'wrong' position. Not saying that happens purposely but I experienced myself how something like that can subconsciously influence your game, albeit in a different sport.

Last edited:

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Horrible. We need an upgrade on Bozak to become a perennial contender. Without this replacement, the Leafs are going to be in a whole lot of trouble.

Great on faceoffs/check..Good skater/check. Leadership/check..Timely goals/check.. Produces anywhere in the lineup with whomever/check. Has the coaches trust/check.

I think you are talking out your ass. Bozak is overpaid by 500 grand but he is a very, very solid num 3 center, esp on a team that does not have traditional top six bottom six. You cant be more wrong, bozak is not the problem keeping us from winning a cup. Our lack of a legit number 1 D is . Even then if Freddy does what he is doing now in the playoffs, we can roll three great lines and Matthews/Nylander/Marner continue being beasts we can win the cup this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad