If Melnyk gives the ok for buyouts/retain salary, do you forgive him?

forgiveness

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Where do you think the money required to buyout the players (suggested) would come from?

As far as I know there is no money tree growing anywhere around the CTC.

Perhaps you should have suggested, if he raised ticket prices by X% for the remainder of the season, for next season and if a 95% or higher average attendance target is achieved for a specified time period.......... the extra money would be used to buyout players.

Or, do you just expect him to cash in his RSPs, sell his house(s), sell his car(s) and uses that money to buyout your suggested Players?

If the team was losing money and Melnyk could not sell the team due to lack of buyers, I would totally rally around the guy. However, there are many people that want to buy the team that would give Melnyk a huge profit. Therefore, it is hard to feel sorry him.

Reactions: Sensung

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The damage caused by Melnyk is already done. The fans of Ottawa and Melnyk will never have a good relationship again unless he brings the city a Cup.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Where do you think the money required to buyout the players (suggested) would come from?

As far as I know there is no money tree growing anywhere around the CTC.

Perhaps you should have suggested, if he raised ticket prices by X% for the remainder of the season, for next season and if a 95% or higher average attendance target is achieved for a specified time period.......... the extra money would be used to buyout players.

Or, do you just expect him to cash in his RSPs, sell his house(s), sell his car(s) and uses that money to buyout your suggested Players?

That's not the way it works.

A business needs to EARN customers. Customers do not need to throw their wallets at a company to deserve a good product.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There's this concept about needing to spend money if you want to make money. Yes, he spends money on the team, but he spends the bare minimum and many many hockey fans in Ottawa aren't idiots, so we can tell that he's not putting in the capital required for the team to really succeed. He's quite obviously switched his focus away form winning a cup and towards maximizing his profits.

You want fans to get excited? Give us something to get excited about. Refusing to fire Boucher, even though he's pretty lost at sea right now is an obvious one. HAving one of the smallest front office staffs. Fewest number of scouts, etc. All of these things are due to Melnyk pinching pennies in a game where penny pinching almst guarantees that you won't have success.

Okay, but where is the money going to come from, to Buyout the players suggested?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If the team was losing money and Melnyk could not sell the team due to lack of buyers, I would totally rally around the guy. However, there are many people that want to buy the team that would give Melnyk a huge profit. Therefore, it is hard to feel sorry him.

Why in the world would he want to sell the team, now that he's been awarded the "Rights" to re-develop Lebreton Flats and reap in much larger profits than he would now (if he sold the team) , over the next two decades????

If you owned a Condo along Booth Street near the Transitway on the edge of Lebreton if you could make a huge profit today.................. even if you did not need to, or want to sell; OR, would you wait for a decade or so, once Phase One is completed, and LRT is fully functional, and could then sell your Condo for way so much more than you could today???

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That's not the way it works.

A business needs to EARN customers. Customers do not need to throw their wallets at a company to deserve a good product.

OK, but you did not answer the question, just where do you think the money would come from, to buyout the players suggested.

It's so easy to say " he should just buyout these two guys with terrible expensive contracts "........... figuring out how that is done, in a small Canadian market, where expenses are paid in US dollars, and revenue is in CDN dollars ......... where does this money come from???

Hard to answer, eh?

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Okay, but where is the money going to come from, to Buyout the players suggested?

I feel like I'm stuck on repeat or something. How is this a difficult concept to comprehend? Also, I never said he should buy out the players.

Look. Melnyk is on the cheaper end when it comes to NHL owners. There's really no disputing that when he's straight up came out and said that they are running a bare bones operation.

It shouldn't take a genius to connect the dots here. If the owner is vocal about not spending money on the team, then fans won't want to spend money either because the message from Melnyk is loud and clear. He's cutting costs to save money, so he's no longer committed to winning a Cup. It actually is that plain and simple. Fans arent' excited about a team that has no desire to win.

If the owner shows a commitment to winning by actually spending money, then that will generate excitement and more fans will come to games.

Long story short. As I have said at least twice on page 1 of this thread. You need to spend money to make money.

So if Eugene spends a bit more money on scouts, and the knuckle dragging mouth breathers in the Sens marketing department actually get the word out about it, then suddenly there's positive news. Imagine that? Positive news means fans get excited. Fans getting excited means bums in seats.

Fans not excited means bums at home on their couches.

Money = fans in seats.

No money = fans at home.

I'm not asking him to increase spending by $15M here. It's what, maybe $5ooK to $1M? Hire 2 or 3 scouts. Maybe bring in a PP coach. Follow that up with a press release that Melnyk has green lighted Dorion to retain players this summer. Boom. Fans see that he's making an effort to turn the ship around. That's all we want to see in these dark days. Just some glimmer of light. A sign that he gives a crap.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't need forgiveness.

When I buy my tickets, I understand that it does not guarantee that the team wins, plays well, signs the players I want to sign, dumps the players I don't like. We have star players that I like and would rather win instead of lose, but I can live with that.

I am not offended by Melnyk's comments, but understand many are. That is for them to deal with, if ever.

Hey, maybe someone should set up a "Go Fund Me Page" to raise the required money to buyout Phaneuf and Ryan, and when the required money is collected, transfer the money to Melnyk for that purpose only.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
OK, buy you did not answer the question, just where do you think the money would come from, to buyout the players suggested.

It's so easy to say " he should just buyout these two guys with terrible expensive contracts "........... figuring out how that is done, in a small Canadian market, where expenses are paid in US dollars, and revenue is in CDN dollars ......... where does this money come from???

Hard to answer, eh?

Where does the money come from to start a new business? Entrepreneurs need to INVEST in their product. Whether it's from his pocket, borrowing money, getting a partner, or whatever.

If Melynk is a pure cash in/cash out guy, then he has ZERO cause to own a professional sports team at any level. This is an industry where there are dry spells where you don't profit (unless you're an outlier like the Leafs or Yankees), and times where you rake it in.

Do you honestly think a business simply has to open their doors, and they're automatically flooded with customer money? You need to WORK to EARN customers. Business 101.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hey, maybe someone should set up a "Go Fund Me Page" to raise the required money to buyout Phaneuf and Ryan, and when the required money is collected, transfer the money to Melnyk for that purpose only.

Maybe Melynk can *gasp* invest into HIS business. After all, the success or failure of the business is HIS responsibility. No one elses.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
T0 buyout Bobby Ryan it would cost $24,833,333 USD

T0 buyout Dion Phaneuf it would cost $13,333,333 USD

So that's $38,166,666 USD.

So, someone please start the "Go Fund Me " page to make this happen.......... as it will not happen any other way.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I feel like I'm stuck on repeat or something. How is this a difficult concept to comprehend? Also, I never said he should buy out the players.

Thread's title is "If Melnyk gives the ok for buyouts/retain salary, do you forgive him?"

and that is what I'm addressing here.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Thread's title is "If Melnyk gives the ok for buyouts/retain salary, do you forgive him?"

and that is what I'm addressing here.

Then why quote me to talk about buying out players when I said nothing of the sort? I actually said in this thread that buying out players would solve nothing because Melnyk likely wouldn't increase the player budget. I then went on to say what I think he could to do instead.

If the team is spending $70M on players, Melnyk will just count the buyout of Bobby in that $70M. He won't suddenly jump to $74M. So any buyout of a player on the Sens is wasted money.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The point is ........ what gives anyone, any indication that Melnyk would entertain spending $38,166,666 USD, even for a split second,to buyout Dion & Bobby; PLUS the salary that would be required for the Players taking the two vacant roster spots?

I thought the consensus around here is that Melnyk is a cheap Mother effing SOB?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Uncle Euge would just use it to help pay off more of his debt.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Then why quote me to talk about buying out players when I said nothing of the sort? I actually said in this thread that buying out players would solve nothing because Melnyk likely wouldn't increase the player budget. I then went on to say what I think he could to do instead.

If the team is spending $70M on players, Melnyk will just count the buyout of Bobby in that $70M. He won't suddenly jump to $74M. So any buyout of a player on the Sens is wasted money.

Sorry if I miss interpreted your post, or mixed it up with another.

There are very few people, who post here, who actually think through a process such as buying out a player.

This is a Dumb thread, speculating on something that will never happen. Again accept my apology, as at least we seem to be on the same page.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
OK, buy you did not answer the question, just where do you think the money would come from, to buyout the players suggested.

Hard to answer, eh?

Buying out contracts doesn't cost extra money, it costs less money, and spreads the cost over double the term. He's already committed to spending more than the cost of buying them out. The question is do you want him to spend more than the savings when replacing the players bought out, and if so, where will that money come from. You could try and make a business case for additional spending based on increased ticket sales due to having a better on ice product, or more playoff revenues because the team is better and goes deeper.

Personally, I don't see a buyout of big ticket players like Ryan or Phaneuf as a cost effective way to improve the team, so I'd avoid doing so at least at this point.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
The only buyout that would maybe make sense is Burrows because the cost is lower, only spread out over 2 years, and it's cheap and easy to replace a 4th line player.

Buyouts of Dion or Bobby make very little sense.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The only buyout that would maybe make sense is Burrows because the cost is lower, only spread out over 2 years, and it's cheap and easy to replace a 4th line player.

Buyouts of Dion or Bobby make very little sense.
There is no cap relief though.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Why is this so hard to understand?

An owner has to spend money to make money.

To have a proper business it means losing money before you make any. You have to put in money. The more money you put, the greater chance of higher revenue.

Where does the money come from? Obviously the owner. If he wants to make money, he has to make the investment.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Why in the world would he want to sell the team, now that he's been awarded the "Rights" to re-develop Lebreton Flats and reap in much larger profits than he would now (if he sold the team) , over the next two decades????

If you owned a Condo along Booth Street near the Transitway on the edge of Lebreton if you could make a huge profit today.................. even if you did not need to, or want to sell; OR, would you wait for a decade or so, once Phase One is completed, and LRT is fully functional, and could then sell your Condo for way so much more than you could today???

Now is the best time to sell the team. The arena got approved which means the teams value has/will go up overnight.

If he sells now he doesn't have to put a dime into construction but still benefits from the added value of the team.

Didn't we already explain this to you in another thread?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Now is the best time to sell the team. The arena got approved which means the teams value has/will go up overnight.

If he sells now he doesn't have to put a dime into construction but still benefits from the added value of the team.

Didn't we already explain this to you in another thread?

It doesn't matter how many times you explain. He won't listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad