If Melnyk gives the ok for buyouts/retain salary, do you forgive him?

forgiveness

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Who, in their right mind, would sell the Senators, and the rights to re-develop Lebreton Flats over the next two or three decades?

Put yourself in Melnyk's shoes, you own, and enjoy owning a NHL Franchise, have just signed and received the exclusive rights to redevelop probably thee most Prime chunk of Real estate in the entire country, with the potential to bring in huge profits to you, and your family, for the foreseeable future............ would you give this and your NHL franchise up?
If Melnyk was doing it all by himself the yeah, it makes no sense. I thought he is only responsible for the Arena and his group who are actually the developers are taking care of the rest. He is just the face of the bid.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If Melnyk was doing it all by himself the yeah, it makes no sense. I thought he is only responsible for the Arena and his group who are actually the developers are taking care of the rest. He is just the face of the bid.

As far as I know, he and his partners, are "all in" on the complete project, as there are more than just a New Arena in Melnyk's plans, and the "rights" to develop and build Condo towers, shops and Businesses will bring in a lot of profits for Him, and his partners, over at least a couple of decades ....... why would he not want to be part of that?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The money issues is the returns when we trade guys like Spezza, not the root of the decision to trade him in the first place. The reality though is you don't have to think about specific events like the ones I listed, it's the general tone around every move this team has made over nearly the last decade. From always opting for inexperienced coaches, always needing trades to either be cost neutral or cost saving, throwing in picks to save money or get the other team to retain. I'm not holding onto the past, I just see the patern, and how it clearly hasn't changed.

Honestly, since the end of the playoffs last year, what did this team do to try and build on that momentum? They hid the fact that they knew MacArthur wouldn't likely pass his medical (I don't really blame them for keeping quiet here) didn't try to replace him and lost Methot to the expansion draft and again didn't try and replace him (unless you thing Oduya was a reasonable effort to replace him).

You are looking for justification.

What did they do, what did they not do, what they should have done, the reason is, because of this...blah blah blah. Many are like this and this is a general comment, not you directly on what i am about to say.

I' m saying fans shouldn't be constantly looking for justification. At some point you need, dare i say it, LOYALTY.

Sometimes fans don't agree with the way the team is built, or players that play more than others. Fans in other Canadian cities still go . And suffer. But we, not them, also get to enjoy epic highs like last playoffs. Even in spite of constant cheapness as you point out. That is kinda how it goes.

Ottawa fans feel entitled to what cannot be provided. There isn't a board meeting where we can partake. At some point you just have to cheer and hope for the best.

And after last year's playoffs, I thought they would have earned the fans support.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
As far as I know, he and his partners, are "all in" on the complete project, as there are more than just a New Arena in Melnyk's plans, and the "rights" to develop and build Condo towers, shops and Businesses will bring in a lot of profits for Him, and his partners, over at least a couple of decades ....... why would he not want to be part of that?
Because Melnyk isn't a developer and only brought them in because of the scope of the development. If it were only for the piece of land for the arena then I think he would go in on it solo. Melnyk looks like just the face of the proposal to me. I could understand if Melnyk was borrowing 4 billion dollars and hiring a company to do the construction but this doesn't seem like that. I just don't see how Melnyk would be benefiting financially from anything other than the arena. He really isn't needed for the majority of the project though is a tenant the NCC does want.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Because Melnyk isn't a developer and only brought them in because of the scope of the development. If it were only for the piece of land for the arena then I think he would go in on it solo. Melnyk looks like just the face of the proposal to me. I could understand if Melnyk was borrowing 4 billion dollars and hiring a company to do the construction but this doesn't seem like that. I just don't see how Melnyk would be benefiting financially from anything other than the arena. He really isn't needed for the majority of the project though is a tenant the NCC does want.

Nah, it will be a shared venture. It may not be 50/50 (who knows) but it's a symbiotic relationship, each part will help the other. The Sens and arena being the anchor will make the shops and condos more desirable and vice versa. There will be enough money for everyone, your scope is way too narrow.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Nah, it will be a shared venture. It may not be 50/50 (who knows) but it's a symbiotic relationship, each part will help the other. The Sens and arena being the anchor will make the shops and condos more desirable and vice versa. There will be enough money for everyone, your scope is way too narrow.
Obviously there will be financial gains to neighboring businesses because of the events at the arena but I don't see melnyk profiting from condo fees from residential or businesses. Now if Melnyk were to do the same as Jeff Hunt and merge the Sens with the bigger group and be say a minority owner of the whole site then I could see him benefiting financially. Not sure what Jeff Hunt's stake is with the 67's now but I am sure it was well worth it. Hunt seems to be responsible for all of the sports teams. So does the rest of the group make money off the Sens/concerts?

I know my terminology is off but you get the gist?

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Is anyone a real estate expert here? I've heard with residential developments that developers often have to provide 70% of the funds upfront to get approved for bank loans to construct/develop projects like condo towers, etc. How does that translate to larger development projects like the one being discussed?

That could be a big hurdle for Melnyk to clear as there's no way he has 70% of $4 billion to front for the developments.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If he doesnt sell thats fine, but no more budget talk ...He is about to cash in huge...Time to share the wealth EM.And bring us championships

Reactions: Sensung

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Is anyone a real estate expert here? I've heard with residential developments that developers often have to provide 70% of the funds upfront to get approved for bank loans to construct/develop projects like condo towers, etc. How does that translate to larger development projects like the one being discussed?

That could be a big hurdle for Melnyk to clear as there's no way he has 70% of $4 billion to front for the developments.

No large building construction development companies use their own money to fund these mega projects ........... there will a line around the corner of bankers and financial lending institutions, that want to get in on this project and negotiate loans to the Melnyk group.

Do you think the OSEG group provided 70% of the funds needed to redevelop Landsdowne???

No of course they didn't, they borrowed it.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

No, it all boils on the agreements and plans put forth, and who will underwrite. They will look at assets and equity to ensure they don't take a huge risk, the banks, but these types of deals are unlike regular real estate deals, for which I have knowledge about as it is my day to day business.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If he doesnt sell thats fine, but no more budget talk ...He is about to cash in huge...Time to share the wealth EM.And bring us championships

But I don't think money spent is the issue more so than where it is spent. You are asking him to sign a UFA? We have too much money tied up in underperforming players.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
But I don't think money spent is the issue more so than where it is spent. You are asking him to sign a UFA? We have too much money tied up in underperforming players.
Players, coaches, management,scouts....We need a big infusion of dollars everywhere...Cant build a winner on a nickel budget

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Players, coaches, management,scouts....We need a big infusion of dollars everywhere...Cant build a winner on a nickel budget

It isn't a nickel budget. It is midpack, commensurate I'd say with revenues. If not more than revenues.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It isn't a nickel budget. It is midpack, commensurate I'd say with revenues. If not more than revenues.
We have to sell picks to get out of million dollar deals....Even a modest resigning can be a huge risk to this team,if the player doesnt work out...There is no hope of a buyout ever...The management along with the coaches and scouts are small in number and short on experience....Add in a owner that would rather threaten to move the team ,to try and squeeze more out of a fanbase that is tired of waiting...And you get to where we are now....

He stands to make a ton of money off the citizens of Ottawa,with the new arena deal...Why not throw us a bone and spend some money on the team

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

I know that these stats are not 100% accurate, but they would suggest that the budget is not more than revenues.

Sens Year-Over-Year operating income.

I can't see how these numbers are that far off either as Melnyk is on the record stating that the budget is based on regular season revenues only. ie: assuming paid attendance stays pretty level (which it pretty much has, again by Melnyk's own admission), the revenues should cover the budget every year regardless of playoffs. But the sens have made the playoffs several years recently, which is why an operating profit is logical more often than not.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Well he also makes money from tv deals, licensing agreements, and central revenues which a few years ago became more than half of league revenues, meaning its no longer primarily a gate driven league.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad