Speculation: If at the 2013 draft the BPA was a defenseman how would you feel about drafting him?

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
So if at next years 2013 draft the BPA was a defenseman, say Jones or Pulock and all of the high end centres were taken, Given our strength at D how would you feel about drafting him?

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Yea for sure. I'd take Jones preferably over almost everyone in the draft. Maybe not MacKinnon

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Of course. You don't leave Pulock or Jones on the board because of position. BPA is BPA.

If it gets to the point 5 years from now that we have a log jam on the backend, young defenseman are like gold for trading and could easily net us a quality centre.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
Ughhh what :laugh:

But yeah, a part of me really wants Jones because he'd be such a sick player for us.

I'd probably choose Jones over everybody else besides Mackinnon

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Ughhh what :laugh:

But yeah, a part of me really wants Jones because he'd be such a sick player for us.

I'd probably choose Jones over everybody else besides Mackinnon

I know, reading over the title I'm like: WTF did I just type!? anyways yeah It would be incredible to get Jones. I would prob place him #2/3 out of the prospects I want.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
I know, reading over the title I'm like: WTF did I just type!? anyways yeah It would be incredible to get Jones. I would prob place him #2/3 out of the prospects I want.

We're you trying to type this?

"If at the 2013 draft the BP was a defenseman how would you feel about that?"

If so I don't get how you mess it up as bad as you did :laugh:

Imagine if we kept all our best D instead of trading 1 or two away if we got Jones.

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Jones

That'd be sick :laugh:

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012

Imagine if we kept all our best D instead of trading 1 or two away if we got Jones.

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Jones

I was infact trying to say that lol. No but if we did keep that and that become our top 4. That would be a very mobile D lol.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If by the time the Leafs pick and most of the centres are gone, that would mean the Leafs would pick around the 15th pick possibly. That could be way too far for someone like Jones and Pulock. Could still get a decent player but none of the top players that people have been eyeing all year.

I hope we find our way into the top 5 or 10 in the end.

JMcLeaf

You should be able to edit the title. Try double clicking just above it when viewing the Leafs page.

But yes I'm a strong believer in taking BPA, especially when you have a high pick.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
You should be able to edit the title. Try double clicking just above it when viewing the Leafs page.

But yes I'm a strong believer in taking BPA, especially when you have a high pick.

Thanks Broseph.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Always go for BPA no matter what. All prospects are currency either for your team or in trade. You don't want to lose out on a star because he plays a position that you think you're deep at.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Jones

In two or three years that would be a lethal group.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Not sure, actually. Last year Burke said "this might be one instance where we choose positional need over BPA", meaning (I'm inferring) that if Galchenyuk was on the board at 5 AND Rielly, he would have taken Galchenyuk based on positional need.

I'd think something similar would happen next year. It really depends on the gap between Jones and, say, Barkov. I haven't seen both enough to make an educated decision, but that #1C has been missing forever. BUT. That franchise defender is also missing. If Seth Jones can be that, then I take him 10 times out of 10.

All this being said, we probably won't get a top 3 pick.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
If it's Jones then we should take him no question, but nobody else really that I would do it for. BPA is very subjective too, and once you get past the top 5-10, it becomes very opinionated with no clear answers.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
mynhldraft.com has the Leafs taking Curtis Lazar at #12 overall.

What would everyone think of that?

Trying to figure out how mynhldraft.com came up with the Leafs drafting 12th more than who it decided to pick at this point.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
BPA is so subjective Burke could take a forward and say in all honesty hes BPA.

Look at the massive freak out last year when we took Rielly instead of Forsberg. Seems like a good choice to me

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
I know its wayyyy too early, but I would take Barkov over Jones. Physically the most complete player in the draft, great scoring touch, responsible in all 3 zones, and beat up the Americans 5-1. Anyways I see it coming down to us getting a top 10, Barkov should be gone top 3. We should draft the BPA, unless its a cant miss like Monohan/Shinkaruk/Drouin are still on the board.

How I see it going down (how it ahould go down):

1. CBJ - Mackinnon
2. TML - Barkov
3. CGY - Jones (might hurt Flames fans feelings, but always draft BPA)
4. NYI - Drouin
5. EDM - Lindholm
6. MTL - Monohan
7. TBL - Shinkaruk
8. COL - Pullock
9. BUF - Domi
10. WSH- Duclair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad