Speculation: If at the 2013 draft the BPA was a defenseman how would you feel about drafting him?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't think any team is going to go wrong with Jones, at worst he is going to be a top 2 defenceman on any team, and at best a franchise #1D. If I am picking #1 I am picking the most impactful pick to your team that can make a difference to the W/L column.

Jones could very well be that prospect in the draft, I still like Monahan if he falls to #5 and if we pick around #10 Ryan Pulock.

I would move a player for a pick from #15-20 and pick Justin Bailey, this is a projection pick but given he was playing HS hockey and jumped into the OHL, had a concussion, is back and playing well now, he could be a gem that slips through the first rd. I think this kid could be a #1 and atleast a #2C, big 2 way skilled player any team would love to have.

1 of the above and Bailey on the wish list.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I give this example to all of my friends, and I've heard it from burke before. You go with bpa because for example. If you think a defensman is better (let's say scott neidermayer) and you draft a forward just because of a need you would be kicking yourself because u had a chance to take the better player, you knew he was the better player and that would be a horrible decision. Bpa always (and the reaction would be somewhat close to what it was with rielly, and now the majority of this board is very happy with that pick)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would be very happy, if we picked #5 again, and Burke stepped up to the mike and knowing the players he and Mo gravitate towards, announce OHL product Sean Monahan as our first pick and our future #1C that everyone here has been craving for since Mats Sundin.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I would be very happy, if we picked #5 again, and Burke stepped up to the mike and knowing the players he and Mo gravitate towards, announce OHL product Sean Monahan as our first pick and our future #1C that everyone here has been craving for since Mats Sundin.

Did you know:

The last All-star centerman taken with the 5th overall pick was Rob Niedermayer in 1992? With career high 61 and 51 point seasons...

Not exactly number one centerman material, eh?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Did you know:

The last All-star centerman taken with the 5th overall pick was Rob Niedermayer in 1992? With career high 61 and 51 point seasons...

But Monahan already has had a 78 point season as a 17 year old and despite missing 10 games with Ottawa this season is still the club leader in points by a comfortable margin. Not likely he's going to turn into 3rd line Center on a cup winner.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

Eh, that would be okay. But I'd much rather have Drouin, Lindholm, or Barkov at the 5 spot than Monahan.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
But Monahan already has had a 78 point season as a 17 year old and despite missing 10 games with Ottawa this season is still the club leader in points by a comfortable margin. Not likely he's going to turn into 3rd line Center on a cup winner.

Not saying it's impossible that he wont be a top line center.

Just that at 5th overall there hasnt been very many success stories at the center position.

So I guess Im saying that if he is as good as you are suggesting, then maybe 4 other teams know that too.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Always always always always BPA. Could always trade a defenseman for a center later. If we pick another defenseman high up we certainly would have some moveable bodies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not saying it's impossible that he wont be a top line center.

Just that at 5th overall there hasnt been very many success stories at the center position.

So I guess Im saying that if he is as good as you are suggesting, then maybe 4 other teams know that too.

It's too early to tell, but it looks like Jones, Mackinnon, and Barkov have separated themselves from the rest. To land Monahan, it looks like #4 would guarantee it. Drouin, Lindholm, or Monahan. I would bet my Hunter's boots, Burke and Morrison will pick Monahan. Burkie and Mo love to go to the WHL, and OHL. They like big 2 way character kids, Monahan really fits the bill for this franchise. And he's a Center, I always say it's BPA, and at #4 or #5 Monahan looks like the guy to me.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Eh, that would be okay. But I'd much rather have Drouin, Lindholm, or Barkov at the 5 spot than Monahan.

I don't there's a chance Barkov would make it #5 based on the scouting praise and fan fare to date.

Drouin is flashy, But we haven't taken a single player out of the Q in Burkes tenure and the only player I could see changing that is Mackinnon if by chance we get #1 pick.

Being left possibly with Lindholm or Monahan would interesting scenario.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If not Mackinnon then put me down for Sean Monahan also.

This a draft heavy in forwards, particular centers, so BPA being a Dman situation would really only happen if Leafs are picking #2 or #3 and Jones is still on the board. IMO.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
So if at next years 2013 draft the BPA was a defenseman, say Jones or Pulock and all of the high end centres were taken, Given our strength at D how would you feel about drafting him?

Is this serious or a joke? Take the BPA, always.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If not Mackinnon then put me down for Sean Monahan also.

This a draft heavy in forwards, particular centers, so BPA being a Dman situation would really only happen if Leafs are picking #2 or #3 and Jones is still on the board. IMO.

I also think Mackinnon is the only way Burke takes a player from the Q, Monahan is a player that is made to be a Leaf, our history in players have been Gritty fwds, good goaltending, and defence, rather than flash and high end skill types as Montreal seems to gravitate towards.

I think Monahan has the potential to match up against the top Center's he is likely to face in the future, say Tyler Seguin or RNH. Stars of the next generation. Barkov and Drouin moving up in rankings is almost a blessing, this guy is pretty sure to be a contender top 6C in the NHL, whether he is a bonefide #1C on a contender is another question.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Is this serious or a joke? Take the BPA, always.

There is no set of rules that determines BPA, and is different for every single team based on its own amateur talent evaluators. BPA is an intangible and based on personal choice.

Therefore since teams don't release their private rankings we have no way of knowing who BPA is/was and how they determined that, and what went behind the selection made.

If 2 players a Forward and a Defenseman are ranked similarly a team could easily select the player it felt met a organizational more, when deciding which one to take.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another reason why I hold Monahan's name high in this draft

He's a winner, someone joked today about intangibles in a hockey player, when I said Huberdeau was a winner and you surround yourself with winners when you can. Monahan is a winner too.

He won gold at the 2011 World Under-17 Challenge with Ontario and celebrated a championship again at the 2011 Ivan Hlinka Memorial under-18 with Canada. He also captained the Mississauga Rebels midget team to the 2010 OHL Cup and won tournament MVP honours.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Did you know:

This is flawed logic. And I'm not just picking on you here, I just hate it when guys say "This many players taken at X position have gone on to do this." Because you have superstars like Koptar (11th overall), Giroux (23rd), Getzlaf (19th), Kesler (23rd), M. Richards (24th) who were all taken much later than 5th, doesn't mean any team would trade the 5th pick for a later pick and get someone where there has been "proven history" of lucky drafting. Odds are, you will find a much better NHL player at #5 than you would at any other position later in the draft.

Plus, Strome looks like a legit future NHL C and he was taken #5 in 2011.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He's a winner, someone joked today about intangibles in a hockey player, when I said Huberdeau was a winner and you surround yourself with winners when you can. Monahan is a winner too.

If it came down to Monahan vs Lindholm at our pick, it's awfully hard to look past a guy who is putting up similar/better numbers than Backstrom did, in a pro league, at the same age.

I think we can all agree that Niclas Backstrom is a special hockey player, and a kid who is putting up rival/better numbers in the same draft situation, is REALLY hard to justify in NOT taking.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If it came down to Monahan vs Lindholm at our pick, it's awfully hard to look past a guy who is putting up similar/better numbers than Backstrom did, in a pro league, at the same age.

I think we can all agree that Niclas Backstrom is a special hockey player, and a kid who is putting up rival/better numbers in the same draft situation, is REALLY hard to justify in NOT taking.

You look at who will be better 3 years from now as well as the present, but more the former, you also take into consideration the intangibles a player brings to the table. As I said earlier if a player has a history of winning, that weighs in his favour. It's not a fluke why some players winning follows them around. Any CEO from a fortune 500 co would surround themselves with people with a history of success, obcourse there are only a select few out there that fit this bill, but Monahan is one of those players, besides having elite hockey sense.

Lindholm don't know much about him other than what I have read, but from what I was told, he has a tendacy to take periods off. As talented he is, I would go with the sure thing in Monahan, plus he is a guy from Brampton and he is a product of the best producer of hockey talent the NHL has. Too many factors in his favour. Now all we have to worry about is the hockey gods reward us with the lotto balls for our abysmal hockey team these past 3 years.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

You look at who will be better 3 years from now as well as the present, but more the former, you also take into consideration the intangibles a player brings to the table. As I said earlier if a player has a history of winning, that weighs in his favour. It's not a fluke why some players winning follows them around. Any CEO from a fortune 500 co would surround themselves with people with a history of success, obcourse there are only a select few out there that fit this bill, but Monahan is one of those players, besides having elite hockey sense.

Lindholm don't know much about him other than what I have read, but from what I was told, he has a tendacy to take periods off. As talented he is, I would go with the sure thing in Monahan, plus he is a guy from Brampton and he is a product of the best producer of hockey talent the NHL has. Too many factors in his favour. Now all we have to worry about is the hockey gods reward us with the lotto balls for our abysmal hockey team these past 3 years.
Not really. I really like both and trust me Lindholm has talent oozing out of him.

I'd be happy with either of them. It will be interesting what happens when burke is at the podium, I definitely like monahan a bit more due to him being a hometown boy and he's a guy I like as him being strong in all areas of the game. However lindholm IMO has a bit more offensive skill, not to mention covers the puck extremely well.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Not really. I really like both and trust me Lindholm has talent oozing out of him.

I'd be happy with either of them. It will be interesting what happens when burke is at the podium, I definitely like monahan a bit more due to him being a hometown boy and he's a guy I like as him being strong in all areas of the game. However lindholm IMO has a bit more offensive skill, not to mention covers the puck extremely well.

I think boo's are going to ring throughout the arena cause that's the cool thing for hockey fans as a whole to do :laugh:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Always the best player available. ALWAYS

Burke said before the 2012 draft that this was the first time in his career that he may draft by positional need instead of BPA. Obviously he didn't have the opportunity in 2012, but I think he would have drafted Galchenyuk over Rielly if he was available at #5.

If the Leafs are drafting around the same spot as 2012, I take Monahan over any defenseman outside of Seth Jones. The Leafs desparately need their future #1 centre and Monahan has a good chance of developing into this. If Burke can magically trade for a young #1 centre then I draft BPA, if not I hope he picks BCA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->