Speculation: If at the 2013 draft the BPA was a defenseman how would you feel about drafting him?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Trying to figure out how mynhldraft.com came up with the Leafs drafting 12th more than who it decided to pick at this point.

The NHL Draft order is based on the odds to win the 2013 Stanley Cup. Teams that have the same odds, are listed in alphabetical order.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wttzK-Q_Frk

Instance 1:
Head down along the boards. Even if he doesn't lose his footing, there's a great chance that he gets leveled because his head is down.

Instance 2:
Not his fault at all. Does take a bad angle at it, but nothing he could do because he catches an edge.

Other clips of him withi his head down getting levelled...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70xInr4WoQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T786xEHJcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZr5-DxBss

I could go on, but these are all just examples of him not being prepared to take the hit or one of his dmen giving him a suicide pass.

I dunno, I think I'm going to disagree. I went in and give them all a watch, and only Abdelkader's hit looked like a stupid play on Hall's part. Looked like he knew he was there because you can see him go for the deke, but he had his head down and obviously read it wrong. The first one he lost his edge and it ended up being a lot worse than it would have been otherwise -- a good shoulder to shoulder hit. The first Edler one, if you watch his head, it's up and looking right at Edler, and he clearly braces himself for the hit -- he just gets trucked (we've all been there :laugh:). The second one he just runs into his back. Weird play.

Durkin67

Yes. Hall's concussions have been his fault.

:huh:

The thing I love about Hall is also the thing that makes me worry for his longevity. He's fearless, ridiculously skilled, and he's known to play with a touch of recklessness. It's a thrill to behold, but it makes you wonder how long he can sustain it. Eberle is more graceful and he pretty much defines the term "clutch". I think he'll eventually prove that he should have gone much higher than 22nd. A lot of teams missed the boat. Could you imagine if you were CBJ and you took Filatov, who eventually netted a third from OTT, instead of Eberle??

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The thing I love about Hall is also the thing that makes me worry for his longevity. He's fearless, ridiculously skilled, and he's known to play with a touch of recklessness. It's a thrill to behold, but it makes you wonder how long he can sustain it. Eberle is more graceful and he pretty much defines the term "clutch". I think he'll eventually prove that he should have gone much higher than 22nd. A lot of teams missed the boat. Could you imagine if you were CBJ and you took Filatov, who eventually netted a third from OTT, instead of Eberle??

Hall seems like he's destined for an early flame out a la Wendel Clark, though he's not nearly as punishing as Clark on others as he is on himself. If you try to change him, you also run the risk of taking out the element that makes him unique.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Hall seems like he's destined for an early flame out a la Wendel Clark, though he's not nearly as punishing as Clark on others as he is on himself. If you try to change him, you also run the risk of taking out the element that makes him unique.

I agree unfortunately. Another player that the oilers got similar to that is Yakupov, both need to tone it down and let their skill do the talking.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You go for the BPA. Drafting by position is only considered if you don't see yourself getting good value from the BPA (i.e. difference between 10 OA and 20 OA not that much). Even then, trading down is probably preferrable to going after a guy ranked lower, and just hope you get him when you move down.

The Leafs currently need 1C, Power Forwards and 1G.

1Cs usually take 4-5 years to develop, power-forwards take 3-4 years and goalies usually take 5-6 years.

Drafting for any of those positions now doesn't help us immediately. Getting the BPA and having a solid, tangible asset to offer in a trade to get help now is the best option to fix current issues.

Durkin67

Excellent analysis.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd take Mackinnon, Barkov and Monahan over any BPA Dman.

Then i would take Jones only after that....

Even if we are at 10-15 and Pullock is available; i would still take a flyer on the next best Forward.

My leafs cheat sheet:

Mackinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Jones
Drouin
Lindholm
Shinkaruk

Last edited:

Durkin67

I agree unfortunately. Another player that the oilers got similar to that is Yakupov, both need to tone it down and let their skill do the talking.

I checked Nail out at a private training facility in August. Obviously not the same kind of full contact as a league game, but I'm not sure he's quite the human cannonball Hall tends to be. Again, what I like about Eberle is the vision and the ability to dictate and diffuse a situation with his heads up play. Another guy with a similar ability to avoid putting himself in potentially dangerous situations was Alex Steen. Under appreciated as a Leaf in my opinion, but a pretty cerebral hockey player. Obviously, Eberle's skills are superior, but that one element of being able to anticipate danger and make the smart play is similar.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
If I was picking 2nd, and Mackinnon was off the board already, i would have a hard, hard time picking between Jones and Barkov. Needless to say i would be happy with either of them, but in the end, i would have to pick Barkov. That kind of talent up front doesnt come around too often, and when it does, it usually goes first overall.

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
Eberle is more graceful and he pretty much defines the term "clutch". I think he'll eventually prove that he should have gone much higher than 22nd. A lot of teams missed the boat. Could you imagine if you were CBJ and you took Filatov, who eventually netted a third from OTT, instead of Eberle??

Can you imagine if you were the Leafs and you took Schenn instead of Eberle?

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
We got JVR for Schenn, what did CLB get for Filatov?

Who knows, the drafts a crapshoot. Lots of teams miss the boat and others hit the motherlode like Philly with Giroux. Interesting that both Eberle and Giroux were drafted 22nd overall. The Leafs were smart enough to draft Tlusty that year.

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011
Who knows, the drafts a crapshoot. Lots of teams miss the boat and others hit the motherlode like Philly with Giroux. Interesting that both Eberle and Giroux were drafted 22nd overall. The Leafs were smart enough to draft Tlusty that year.

The good news is the Leafs were smart enough to draft Tuukka Rask at 21st in 2005. That worked out well.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
You go for the BPA. Drafting by position is only considered if you don't see yourself getting good value from the BPA (i.e. difference between 10 OA and 20 OA not that much). Even then, trading down is probably preferrable to going after a guy ranked lower, and just hope you get him when you move down.

The Leafs currently need 1C, Power Forwards and 1G.

1Cs usually take 4-5 years to develop, power-forwards take 3-4 years and goalies usually take 5-6 years.

Drafting for any of those positions now doesn't help us immediately. Getting the BPA and having a solid, tangible asset to offer in a trade to get help now is the best option to fix current issues.

Look at all the best C's in the NHL right now and tell me how many of them took 4-5 years to get good...

This isn't baseball, a top 5 pick should not take 4-5 years to develop.

Durkin67

Can you imagine if you were the Leafs and you took Schenn instead of Eberle?

You mean, like trading down, and picking an extra couple picks and/or a prospect, plus a game-breaker with future HHOF potential? In hindsight, it would have been a stroke of genius, until we decided to Tlusty him and make him the face of the franchise before he was old enough to buy a round, and irreversibly ruining his confidence in the process...:sarcasm:

Durkin67

who indirectly became Stuart Percy if i'm not mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad