I'd probably quit watching hockey if they banned fighting

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Most games don't even have fighting, no? Unless it's because I mainly watch the Habs and they don't fight because they're soft/small/gutless/dive.

:laugh: The nail. You hit it on the head.

This is not targeted to favoring one side or the other, it is just a question to see opinions; Do you think cheap and dirty hits would become more common if fighting was taken out of the game? Not so much for the lack of consequence on the ice, but if two players really have it out for each other, do you think they are more inclined to target that player with a dirty hit?

Well, short answer, no. I don't think cheapshots would be more common because:
A. Clean hits can hurt just as much.
B. What better way to stick it up you opponent's than to score a goal and win the game.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Well, short answer, no. I don't think cheapshots would be more common because:
A. Clean hits can hurt just as much.
B. What better way to stick it up you opponent's than to score a goal and win the game.

This is also true. But, I feel the heat of the moment in the game can cloud some better alternatives to the ones you posted, which seems prevalent still in the game now.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
You probably should just quit watching hockey right now then.

Fighting is a gimmick, it has no impact on the outcome of the games. It's no different than a mascot race during the second intermission.
What would you do if I followed you around all day calling your family to the lowest, pushing you over and whacking you with a stick. If you told a cop they only separated us for 2 minutes then I go back to doing it all over again. After 1 day, unless you are completely gutless, you would probably throw a punch.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The worst hockey in the NHL is during the pre-season and there are multiple fights per game

The best hockey in the NHL is during the playoffs and there are barely any fights

Tavaresmagicalplay*

What would you do if I followed you around all day calling your family to the lowest, pushing you over and whacking you with a stick. If you told a cop they only separated us for 2 minutes then I go back to doing it all over again. After 1 day, unless you are completely gutless, you would probably throw a punch.
Do you know how many players in the league you're describing? Crosby probably does this more than anybody. Fighting is doing nothing right now.

Explain to me why fighting is almost non-existent in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The worst hockey in the NHL is during the pre-season and there are multiple fights per game

The best hockey in the NHL is during the playoffs and there are barely any fights

Exactly. Anyone who loves watching fights should go read a book the moment the playoffs start.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I don't really care about fighting; although I think staged fighting is just pathetic.

But I care even less about whether or not you watch hockey.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Explain to me why fighting is almost non-existent in the playoffs.

First of all there is fighting in the playoffs. There may be a lot less actual fights (they still do occur) but there are also far more scrums and things which could turn into fights. Also, fighting is less prevalent in the playoffs because teams can't afford players to miss game time. Players also don't really need extra motivation/energy during the playoffs as there seasons are on the line.

That beings said, fighting plays an integral part in the regular season. When you as a player see one of your guys go out there and drop the mitts it really energizes the team and provides a lot of team unity. You play a lot harder when you know every guy on the team has your back and you want to do everything you can to win for your teammates. You also need to show that your team isn't going to be intimidated. If your star player gets cheap shotted and you do absolutely nothing, it shows your teammates don't have your star players back and that liberties can be taken on their players. When a cheap play occurs there are too options, 1) Score on the PP (if there is one) and 2) Physical revenge. A lot of teams just simply aren't good enough to consistently make opponents pay on the scoreboard, which is why they need to show teams that if they do something to one of their players, they will make them pay.

I could go on and on about reasons as to why fighting is important...

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
All the more incentive to ban fighting!

Damnit, I was going to say "nice post" to your pre-edited version.

OP: Honestly, I don't care if you quit watching. If you wanna argue why fighting needs to be in the game, that's fine. What you're doing isn't debating. It's throwing a temper tantrum.

WorkingOvertime

Apr 30, 2011
There is less fighting in the playoffs, but there is still fighting in the playoffs. Even in the playoffs, fighting has a place in the NHL. I wouldn't be upset if there were less enforcers, but fighting is a part of the NHL.

Dirtbag59

May 13, 2011
You probably should just quit watching hockey right now then.

Fighting is a gimmick, it has no impact on the outcome of the games. It's no different than a mascot race during the second intermission.

You wouldn't know it from listening to fans around here that are obsessed with old time hockey.

Ogopogo*

I would definitely quit watching hockey if fighting were taking out .

Sounds like you don't really like hockey. You should quit watching now, before it happens. I am sure they won't take the fighting out of UFC, that might be more your flavor.

Billy Mays Here*

As others have said, if fighting is the the reason you watch hockey or is the most exciting part of it to you, you're not a hockey fan.

Auger

Oct 30, 2010
Vancouver
They'd never ban fighting anyways. Staged fights are useless though, I can't believe you'd actually want to see that. There's a reason you don't see that much fighting in the playoffs, and that's because these "enforcers" are detrimental to the team. When your star players fight because they're emotional, then it's entertaining, but a bunch of AHLers being called up is garbage

keslehr*

I'm so sick of these goodie two shoe good doers trying to p***yfy the NHL. Playing the game of hockey involves physical risk. No one is forcing anyone to fight on the ice. If one guys is trying to fight you then you can skate away. Fights happen when both skaters decide to take the physical risk and fight. I would definitely quit watching hockey if fighting were taking out now that hitting is already gone.

I watch hockey for hockey, not fighting. Fighting is cool but its absence would 100% definitely NOT make me stop watching hockey.

TopTittie

Jul 26, 2006
Holy-Cross_1024x768.jpg

DontOverReact.jpg

batman-logo-5000181.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Unfortunately , you'll have to get used to it OP.Nowadays too many men enjoys living in a matriarchal society.There's almost no places left for males to express their testosterones by mutual consent.One day , probably not in our lifetime , contact sport will be illegal.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
You don't see fighting in Olympic or other best on best hockey tournaments where the game is played at it's highest level. I certainly wouldn't stop watching if it were banned in the NHL. As long as it is permitted, however, Chris Neil will remain my favorite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad