Proposal: I was convinced that a Nylander for Tkachuk trade would have been a great opportunity for Dubas.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Tell me honestly how you think a Tkachuk-Matthews pair will perform in the playoffs. Remove all biases or whatever stunts Tkachuk pulled in the past and just answer me without playing games.

A Tkachuk-Matthews duo is a duo the entire league would lose sleep over. It doesn't get more scary than that for 2023.

Edit central but I like our matthews-marner duo, everything said from my end is just to give perspective that Florida didn't overpay.
Why would you consider observable patterns to be bias?

I don't know. Why don't you start a poll and ask leaf fans if you can handle the market. It sounds like you can't.

;)
Oh. A poll. Bell curves.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Matt Tkachuk is the most overrated player in the league. His intangibles sure meant a whole lot as the Flames got thrashed into a rebuild by their biggest rivals.

I’d love to have a more physical winger than Nylander, but I’d want Brady rather than Matt. Matt is talented as all get out, but he’s a clown and one of the worst playoff performers in the league.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Lol one for one you do the trade. That was NEVER an option though based on the haul Calgary got. Also sorry to say 1 for 1 swap Nylander with Tkachuk and the team still isn't making it out of the first round.

Weird to think that adding Tkachuk (who has never been a ppg in the playoffs) would be the finals piece to "put us over the top" by removing Nylander (who has been a ppg over the past 2 series). Obviously Mat brings much more to the table, but the difference between him and Nylander is not the difference between the leafs being a 1st round loser and them winning the Stanley Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarmore

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Lol one for one you do the trade. That was NEVER an option though based on the haul Florida got. Also sorry to say 1 for 1 swap Nylander with Tkachuk and the team still isn't making it out of the first round.

Weird to think that adding Tkachuk (who has never been a ppg in the playoffs) would be the finals piece to "put us over the top" by removing Nylander (who has been a ppg over the past 2 series). Obviously Mat brings much more to the table, but the difference between him and Nylander is not the difference between the leafs being a 1st round loser and them winning the Stanley Cup.
Agreed, except that I'm not sure Tkachuk moves the needle enough, especially for an extra $2.5M that we can't afford, to make even a one-for-for worthwhile.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
To resign Tkachuk it would take probably 11m so we'd be looking for and 4.1m in cap space.

And what we'd be getting is going from mainly just Nylander to Tkachuk..... not worth it.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
I would be dead against moving Nylander but if it ever happened I'm sure Dubas would find a way to mess it up.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Trading Nylander for a more expensive forward does not address the needs of this team. Nylander is on a very good contract.

This fanbase is insufferable. You spend the entire off season mock trading beans for the best players in the league, then get upset when the Leafs GM doesn't beat out the other 31 GMs. "How could he not trade the beans for McDavid, it was so obvious?!?!?!"

To be fair, I always thought Nylander was "the" trade chip, because of his contract structure and potential to play C.

Let's not forget his contract was "horrible" when it happened.

But it was so front loaded, I thought for sure he'd be the guy to get some way better player and a player of need.

I'd prefer to hang on to the guy now. Funny how things change. He's pretty much still all he's ever going to be, but he's been pretty reliable IMO, and his cap hit is looking just fine which is weird thinking back, and thinking about the cap crunch the pandemic caused.

You're spot on with that comment. The Leafs have already plenty of inconsistent playoff performers. Lol.

Which is weird since they keep taking better teams to 7 games.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
To be fair, I always thought Nylander was "the" trade chip, because of his contract structure and potential to play C.

But it was so front loaded, I thought for sure he'd be the guy to get some way better player and a player of need.

I'd prefer to hang on to the guy now. Funny how things change. He's pretty much still all he's ever going to be, but he's been pretty reliable IMO, and his cap hit is looking just fine which is weird thinking back, and thinking about the cap crunch the pandemic caused.

Which is weird because respect in the handshake line should have come much earlier.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Which is weird because respect in the handshake line should have come much earlier.
To resign Tkachuk it would take probably 11m so we'd be looking for and 4.1m in cap space.

And what we'd be getting is going from mainly just Nylander to Tkachuk..... not worth it.
That's ok. We'll see how Dubas addresses the lack of toughness. The Tkachuk trade is done and there's nothing MLSE can do, but they certainly have time to address the lack jam. I pray that one day Shanahan will look at himself in the mirror, but I'm afraid it's too late.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Tkachuk isn't a playoff guy. He's a I play hockey to be with the boys, have fun and make a ton of money. Now if it was Brady, I'd agree, Matt is not that person.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

That's ok. We'll see how Dubas addresses the lack of toughness. The Tkachuk trade is done and there's nothing MLSE can do, but they certainly have time to address the lack jam. I pray that one day Shanahan will look at himself in the mirror, but I'm afraid it's too late.

Tkachuk isn't a playoff guy. He's a I play hockey to be with the boys, have fun and make a ton of money. Now if it was Brady, I'd agree, Matt is not that person.
That describes 4 leaf forwards. So Matt would be more of the same?

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

Most teams want their guys to be bro-first and keep the fun in the game so its a positive place to be.

Every athlete wants to make a ton of money so fold every league then. Take the cup back from the Avs if Mackinnon wants a lot of money and calls up Rantanen to go out tomorrow night.

Bryson03tml

Jul 26, 2022
Just a quick question for all those people who think Calgary won this trade, I believe Calgary is a playoff team, what happens when the trade deadline rolls around and the flames are clearly in the playoff hunt and both huberdeau and weegar are unsigned? Cause all I'm hearing is that they can be flipped for picks at the deadline, I think Calgary just delayed the problems they have with this trade
If huberdeau asks for 8 years at around 10 mill per what do you do? Cause I'm not giving that to a 30 year old
Florida wins this trade in the long run but I agree they take a step back next year

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Just a quick question for all those people who think Calgary won this trade, I believe Calgary is a playoff team, what happens when the trade deadline rolls around and the flames are clearly in the playoff hunt and both huberdeau and weegar are unsigned? Cause all I'm hearing is that they can be flipped for picks at the deadline, I think Calgary just delayed the problems they have with this trade
If huberdeau asks for 8 years at around 10 mill per what do you do? Cause I'm not giving that to a 30 year old
Florida wins this trade in the long run but I agree they take a step back next year
Depends on the contrast management sees between huberdeau and gaudreau

They were that high on gaudreau and one year difference is debatable they could conceivably go that high on huberdeau if the fit is there

Regardless it is the same huber or johnny.. long term top tier money for a first line offensive winger

Bryson03tml

Jul 26, 2022
Depends on the contrast management sees between huberdeau and gaudreau

They were that high on gaudreau and one year difference is debatable they could conceivably go that high on huberdeau if the fit is there

Regardless it is the same huber or johnny.. long term top tier money for a first line offensive winger
If both players walk at free agency than the GM must be shown the door immediately, that would be totally inept asset management, Calgary is in a no win situation with this trade cause the players either walk in free agency or they get grossly overpaid which ties the teams hands down the road when huberdeau starts declining, I just think it was a horrible trade on calgary's part

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If both players walk at free agency than the GM must be shown the door immediately, that would be totally inept asset management, Calgary is in a no win situation with this trade cause the players either walk in free agency or they get grossly overpaid which ties the teams hands down the road when huberdeau starts declining, I just think it was a horrible trade on calgary's part
You are excluding a lot of options. Including both players getting signed during the season if they like the fit, both or either of the players getting traded during the season, or these additions allow for other players to be moved for benefit.

Like most trades it is far too early to evaluate a winner or a loser or even calling a trade horrible when we don't even know how Calgary is planning to move forward.

Having another first rounder down the road could open them up to using one of their own in the next couple years to help their lineup as well

Bryson03tml

Jul 26, 2022
You are excluding a lot of options. Including both players getting signed during the season if they like the fit, both or either of the players getting traded during the season, or these additions allow for other players to be moved for benefit.

Like most trades it is far too early to evaluate a winner or a loser or even calling a trade horrible when we don't even know how Calgary is planning to move forward.

Having another first rounder down the road could open them up to using one of their own in the next couple years to help their lineup as well
Fair enough, I'm just saying i wouldn't want to be the gm and trying to negotiate contracts with 2 players who hold all the leverage in talks and are both trying to secure their final contracts before retirement as both will be on the decline well before half of the contract is up
Ya the first also helps but It would help a lot more if there wasnt lottery protections on it

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Fair enough, I'm just saying i wouldn't want to be the gm and trying to negotiate contracts with 2 players who hold all the leverage in talks and are both trying to secure their final contracts before retirement as both will be on the decline well before half of the contract is up
Ya the first also helps but It would help a lot more if there wasnt lottery protections on it
well i agree with one point whole heartedly - i would not want to be a gm in alberta right now (including edmonton to be honest).. calgary has so far started picking up the pieces it will be interesting what they make fit.

i would just be open with both of them - get their thoughts - have a dollar in mind and if it works, give them training camp and maybe 20 games or so and look at it again - do they fit / are they liking it.

then either look at contracts or trade route

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021

I would tell both of them that we'll all wait until we're halfway through the season.

At that point, the negotiations begin. If the players are liking Calgary, then we try to come to an agreement before the trade deadline. Obviously if no contract can be signed, then onto plan B and sell them at the deadline. Rebuild begins.

I'd be a transparent with them as possible.

Reactions: andora

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Marner for Tkachuck straight up and I would have pulled the plug on the deal. Locks Tkachuck up for 8 years at 9.5 AAV; immediately saves Leafs 1.5M to spend elsewhere or at the TDL; and also creates a comparable for Willy to be extended at around 8.5 to 9.5.

Marner ain't it IMO. he is not "THE" player who can run his own line and is too expensive for what he brings to the team. Not looking forward to Leafs trying to re-sign Marner at 13 to 15 AAV.... yes he will be looking for that kind of money and an increase of 2M to 4M from his current yearly average of 11 AAV
Last year I would do Marner for him now I doubt Nylander for him is a straight win.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad