Proposal: I was convinced that a Nylander for Tkachuk trade would have been a great opportunity for Dubas.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This trade would have put TOR over the top and would have addressed many areas of need.

Obviously the biggest factor is the cap and lack of assets.

It's not that the lack of a Tkachuk acquisition cancels Christmas, but this is just another knock on Shanahan who's clearly going against his own values.

I wish this team wasn't so downy soft. No one seems to be learning from the past and even the present.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He didn't want to come here lol. What part of his list of desired teams all being American in low tax states makes you think he was at all interested in extending here.

You don't even have to get into discussions about the value or whether it was the right call. It was never an option! You're getting upset over absolutely nothing!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He didn't want to come here lol. What part of his list of desired teams all being American in low tax states makes you think he was at all interested in extending here.

You don't even have to get into discussions about the value or whether it was the right call. It was never an option! You're getting upset over absolutely nothing!

Yeah, people think this all happens in a vacuum. People are mad about the Bjorkstrand one too but there was no chance in hell that the Jackets were trading him for scraps to an Eastern team.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
This trade would have put TOR over the top and would have addressed many areas of need.

It's not that the lack of a Tkachuk acquisition cancels Christmas, but this is just another knock on Shanahan who's clearly going against his own values.

I wish this team wasn't so downy soft. No one seems to be learning from the past and even the present.

No point crying about spoiled milk.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It would have been a great opportunity if we traded Nylander for Tkachuk and he signed 8x years at $6.9 million.

But that's not the structure of what Florida gave up.. They basically ripped their core apart and are a fundamentally different team today.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
This is a really bad take. Nylander for Tkachuk was obviously never tabled. Judging by the actual trade, it would have looked closer to Nylander + Lilje/Sandin + Abruzzese + 1st round pick. Calgary came away with a windfall for Tkachuk and Im glad we stayed away from matching it.

That look would have been a better deal than what Calgary got. Nylander has 2 years left before UFA and he's younger. His family has a Calgary connection so he would likely re-sign there. Lili/Sandin will not be UFA at the end of this season and will be cheap contracts. I don't think Dubas would offer that package, considering that Tkachuk would likely not re-sign with Toronto so he would be a 1-year rental.

Now we can all watch Florida pay a heavy price in the standings at no cost to ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I couldn't imagine the reaction if Dubas paid all that for a guy who has as bad of a playoff track record as our core lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If he was ready to sign a long deal here, Sure.

Now, would I want to move Nylander + Sandin + 1st?
I'd have to think long and hard.

I'd roll the dice on that one, but you have to consider what Florida gave up in quality was more than Nylander and Sandin. Huberdeau scored 115 points, which would have exceeded Marner's point pace. Different age and contract factors though, but you get the point.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Marner for Tkachuck straight up and I would have pulled the plug on the deal. Locks Tkachuck up for 8 years at 9.5 AAV; immediately saves Leafs 1.5M to spend elsewhere or at the TDL; and also creates a comparable for Willy to be extended at around 8.5 to 9.5.

Marner ain't it IMO. he is not "THE" player who can run his own line and is too expensive for what he brings to the team. Not looking forward to Leafs trying to re-sign Marner at 13 to 15 AAV.... yes he will be looking for that kind of money and an increase of 2M to 4M from his current yearly average of 11 AAV

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This is a really bad take. Nylander for Tkachuk was obviously never tabled. Judging by the actual trade, it would have looked closer to Nylander + Lilje/Sandin + Abruzzese + 1st round pick. Calgary came away with a windfall for Tkachuk and Im glad we stayed away from matching it.
You don't know that.

Or do you work in The Leafs' Management? Maybe you do know.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

I don't think my tone is rage. Upset? No.

Disappointed in Shanny that his values are being wisked away? Yes. General disappointment.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Ok let's pretend that Tkachuk wanted to come here and sign long-term.

How would he have addressed a need when he has shown very little in his playoff career? You were going to overpay in assets and take up an additional $2.5M-$3M for a lateral move at best? At least Nylander has put up decent numbers in the playoffs

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Florida overpaid. That's what teams do to change course at times and if hou identify the right player you go for it.

They have shifted the makeup of their team since they didn't receive the playoff success that is demanded by franchises. They also sent a message to other players, "this could be you, so if you love your team and city, do better".

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Ok let's pretend that Tkachuk wanted to come here and sign long-term.

How would he have addressed a need when he has shown very little in his playoff career? You were going to overpay in assets and take up an additional $2.5M-$3M for a lateral move at best? At least Nylander has put up decent numbers in the playoffs
You're loading the question with too many scenarios that favour your fantasy.

Ask a normal question.

His recent playoff stats are fine. And him and his team have won a playoff round.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Based on the return Calgary got, they would have asked for Nylander + Robertson + 1st. There is no universe in which they would've taken Nylander 1 for 1, over what Florida offered.

Also we were not on his trade destination list, there was no trade to be made.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
You're loading the question with too many scenarios that favour your fantasy.

Ask a normal question.

His recent playoff stats are fine. And him and his team have won a playoff round.
He had 10 points in 12 games in the playoffs. 6 of them came in 1 game and he was mostly invisible for the rest outside of post-whistle scrums. 1 goal in the other 11 games.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He had 10 points in 12 games in the playoffs. 6 of them came in 1 game and he was mostly invisible for the rest outside of post-whistle scrums. 1 goal in the other 11 games.
Ok. So don't draft him in your fantasy league. Got it.

pot meet kettle
I thought that the foundation of a trade Nylander for Tkachuk could have been a thing.

But I'm commenting on what TOR lacks, and not asking controlled questions.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I wanted Dubas to go after Tkachuk. But after seeing the final price paid. It was wayyyyyyyyyy too high. Glad he passed.
I can respect that.

I think that the what if of a possible Nylander Tkachuk trade would address TOR's lack of toughness/grit.

It's not that I absolutely want Tkachuk. I absolutely want more toughness.

Reactions: meefer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad