Proposal: I was convinced that a Nylander for Tkachuk trade would have been a great opportunity for Dubas.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
He also tends to disappear in the playoffs. He was very ineffective for most of the Dallas series because he was too busy trying to bully Klingberg and showed nothing after game 1 vs their provincial rivals.

The Leafs don't need inconsistent playoff performers at that price.
You're spot on with that comment. The Leafs have already plenty of inconsistent playoff performers. Lol.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This is not a good argument. It's not his fault we aren't in the second round. Then what's next he's never played in the conference finals so we only Cherry pick the first two rounds? In fact you are cherry picking. Playoffs is the playoffs, period. And regarding one winning goal in an elimination game, so if a random fourth liner scored that goal you'd rather him than Matthews or Mitch or William? Absurd reasoning tbh.

You're right though, he isn't bullet proof. But in these parts he's being traded for shit like Rasmus Andersson or for a winger who to be fair may even be better in the regular season, but costs 2.6m more and is noticeably worse in the playoffs.

Also chucky has only been to the second round once and he did dick all there.
It doesn't have to be a random 4th liner, but it does have to be a series winning goal. If it's AM,MM,WN,JT,MR, etc. I don't care. It just has to be a f***ing series win. That's all that matters right now. I am not loyal to Dubas, Shanny, Keefe, Marner, etc. At this point anything is worth a shot don't you think? You can't tell me that anyone 1 player/coach/prez/goalie/gm is the right way to go because they have nothing to show for it.

Reactions: Leterman

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would have been fine with a Tkachuk for Nylander swap, except that wouldn't have been the deal. The Leafs would have had to lose the trade just like Florida did, and I would rather a divisional rival lose a trade than us. Also, Tkachuk gave no indication he wanted to stay in Canada

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
It would have been more more comparable trading Marner, Brodie and a 1st. (If Marner had 1 year left and was 29) It may seem like an L for Florida, but it makes sense. They were unlikely to have room to sign those players and they get a younger elite winger who plays a physical game locked up for his prime.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
This trade would have put TOR over the top and would have addressed many areas of need.

Obviously the biggest factor is the cap and lack of assets.

It's not that the lack of a Tkachuk acquisition cancels Christmas, but this is just another knock on Shanahan who's clearly going against his own values.

I wish this team wasn't so downy soft. No one seems to be learning from the past and even the present.
Dude everyone here thinks Matthews, Marner and Nylander can't get it done in the playoffs and want to trade for Tkachuk? Out of the top tier EC teams last year we look like the only one that hasn't gotten noticeably worse.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Dude everyone here thinks Matthews, Marner and Nylander can't get it done in the playoffs and want to trade for Tkachuk? Out of the top tier EC teams last year we look like the only one that hasn't gotten noticeably worse.
TOR is noticeably worse too. Dubas is going on a hunch and a prayer that Murray/Samsonov work out. Mikheyev is gone. Kase is gone. Boosh is gone. We didn't stay the same. We got worse IMHO.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
TOR is noticeably worse too. Dubas is going on a hunch and a prayer that Murray/Samsonov work out. Mikheyev is gone. Kase is gone. Boosh is gone. We didn't stay the same. We got worse IMHO.
Mikheyev's offense can be replaced by the addition of Robertson and Knies when his college season is up. Kase was fine, but he couldn't stay healthy again and tailed off hard in the second half of the season. Boosh was a disgrace. He was complete and utter garbage and the team was worse with him on the ice. Murray/Samsonov is a downgrade from October-November Jack but level with what they got from Campbell from December onwards. If one of them figure it out we're in fine shape, and if neither do we still have our first rounder and other trade chips to get a goalie. The fourth line is going to be a lot better without Clifford, Spezza and Simmonds getting slaughtered out there.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
We can get harder to play against without paying 10 million for another forward.

Tkackuck was not the only option and was definitely not the best option

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Mikheyev's offense can be replaced by the addition of Robertson and Knies when his college season is up. Kase was fine, but he couldn't stay healthy again and tailed off hard in the second half of the season. Boosh was a disgrace. He was complete and utter garbage and the team was worse with him on the ice. Murray/Samsonov is a downgrade from October-November Jack but level with what they got from Campbell from December onwards. If one of them figure it out we're in fine shape, and if neither do we still have our first rounder and other trade chips to get a goalie. The fourth line is going to be a lot better without Clifford, Spezza and Simmonds getting slaughtered out there.
I can't agree. There's no reason to expect Knies and Robertson to be part of the team next season.

Also what is our 4th line? I can't figure it out at all. I think maybe you can create it using a pencil, but not a pen.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
It’s been long known that having 4 forwards taking up so much cap space would, and is, hindering the Leafs in other areas. No need to give the 4 a bigger piece of pie and be forced to keep chopping in other areas.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Marner for Tkachuck straight up and I would have pulled the plug on the deal. Locks Tkachuck up for 8 years at 9.5 AAV; immediately saves Leafs 1.5M to spend elsewhere or at the TDL; and also creates a comparable for Willy to be extended at around 8.5 to 9.5.

Marner ain't it IMO. he is not "THE" player who can run his own line and is too expensive for what he brings to the team. Not looking forward to Leafs trying to re-sign Marner at 13 to 15 AAV.... yes he will be looking for that kind of money and an increase of 2M to 4M from his current yearly average of 11 AAV

Only in upside down world does Marner get anything close to $13M. He's not even worth the $11M he's getting now. He'll go to market and get about $9M AAV.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Only in upside down world does Marner get anything close to $13M. He's not even worth the $11M he's getting now. He'll go to market and get about $9M AAV.
He's not getting less than Tkachuk lol. Marner was arguably the NHL's best winger from January on this past season and despite his reputation is a better playoff performer than Tkachuk.

Reactions: bax

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I don't think Jarnkrok/NAK are a significant enough downgrade on Mikheyev/Kase to say we got significantly worse there... Especially since I would expect both to be able to stay in the lineup more often than Mikheyev and Kase were able to last year (remember both were only really able to play around 50 games each due to injuries).

Our prospects are much better than using Spezza, Clifford/Blackwell, and Simmonds in our lineup again.

Couldn't care less about losing Lyubushkin. Using Liljegren and Holl (or Sandin or even a handful of the remaining UFA's) full time is much better than what he brought to the table most nights.

Between all of that, I think we are likely breaking even with the potential to be much better depending on how some of our young guys do.

It comes down to our swing at Murray and Samsonov. But we would be taking a swing with a wildly inconsistent Campbell, or a 32 year old Kuemper coming off of a potentially serious eye-injury. At least our bet doesn't involve handing out huge 5 year contracts to aging goalies when that has historically never worked out.

Reactions: Blaylock38

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't think Jarnkrok/NAK are a significant enough downgrade on Mikheyev/Kase to say we got significantly worse there... Especially since I would expect both to be able to stay in the lineup more often than Mikheyev and Kase were able to last year (remember both were only really able to play around 50 games each due to injuries).

Our prospects are much better than using Spezza, Clifford/Blackwell, and Simmonds in our lineup again.

Couldn't care less about losing Lyubushkin. Using Liljegren and Holl (or Sandin or even a handful of the remaining UFA's) full time is much better than what he brought to the table most nights.

Between all of that, I think we are likely breaking even with the potential to be much better depending on how some of our young guys do.

It comes down to our swing at Murray and Samsonov. But we would be taking a swing with a wildly inconsistent Campbell, or a 32 year old Kuemper coming off of a potentially serious eye-injury. At least our bet doesn't involve handing out huge 5 year contracts to aging goalies when that has historically never worked out.
I would hope that in the context of winning in the playoffs we got better. The problem is that we keep getting the same results: a culture of losing. It's so muddy. Is a 115 point season great or is winning in the playoffs great? A more respectful handshake line with this new group of UFAs? I have no idea.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
It doesn't have to be a random 4th liner, but it does have to be a series winning goal. If it's AM,MM,WN,JT,MR, etc. I don't care. It just has to be a f***ing series win. That's all that matters right now. I am not loyal to Dubas, Shanny, Keefe, Marner, etc. At this point anything is worth a shot don't you think? You can't tell me that anyone 1 player/coach/prez/goalie/gm is the right way to go because they have nothing to show for it.
i hear you man. You're not wrong. Anything for a fkin series win haha.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Tkachuk is a better goal scorer and more physical than marner. Overall he's more impactful in most facets of the game except for playmaking.
Marner has 70 more points and 10 less goals in less games and he’s much better defensively and has a higher ceiling overall. Not sure what level tkachuk is more impactful in, intangibles?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Marner has 70 more points and 10 less goals in less games and he’s much better defensively and has a higher ceiling overall. Not sure what level tkachuk is more impactful in, intangibles?
Last season he had 42 goals and 62 assists, but i guess that's not impactful.

Oh my God.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Last season he had 42 goals and 62 assists, but i guess that's not impactful.

Oh my God.
Yes, he was great last season. 104 points. 7 more than Marner and those 7 were goals. Of course he played 10 more games than Marner. Overall, Marner has out scored him 455-425 while playing 4 less games. Though MT has 14 more goals. MM has also played more playoff games. MT has 15 points in 27 games. While Marner has 33 points in 39 games. Though important for the board MT was on a team that won a playoff round while Marner has not been on a team that has.

Reactions: TorMapleJays

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Dubas would never get Tkachuk...too much grit and balls, big pendulous balls
Nonsense. MT is an excellent player. Dubas would definitely get a player like Tkachuk. Probably through the draft if we ever draft high enough to get a player like him.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Look at the haul Calgary got. Do you think Toronto could have realistically matched that? I don't.

And Tkachuk clearly had a list of preferred destinations that Toronto wasn't on. Why give up a huge package just for him to leave anyway?

So unless Dubas could stop Florida from making that offer, and then force Tkachuk to sign an extension, how could we have ever landed him? This is laughable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad