I want so badly for Howie to succeed in his broadcasting career...

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Lots of good/talented people graduate places like Specs-Howard etc.

Seriously they need to stop with the former player thing and just hire good talent. Way too much of a buddy/club system. None of these former players who aren't even good at broadcasting need the broadcasting job. Osgood is good but Murphy, Howard, Manon Rheaume(who had a hard enough time just speaking clearly, honestly.), Darren Elliot, I think they tried to toss Bertuzzi even in there? Idk.

Color commentator usually is a former player but sheeesh....

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Even if you know what you’re talking about, it still has to be a hard job to remain somewhat natural in camera, especially for a lot of ex athletes who weren’t necessarily made for TV. And to just be able to speak halfway coherently while knowing when to stop talking too.

Some guys are made for this type of work, I don’t think Howard is. I felt the same about Osgood but he came a LONG way so maybe there’s hope for Howard.

Personally, I’d have been great for a broadcast career. For years, people comment on my voice and how it would be lovely over a radio or on TV. The main problem is nobody wants to listen to a mush mouthed, mumbling, stammering moron so that (and THAT ALONE!) derailed my multimillion dollar career.

His sausage fingers straight up worry me. The skin around his fingers looks so bloated that I worry if he made a fist his hand would explode. Are there really no medical concerns when your hands are that…meaty? I’m concerned for his circulation.
His ring fits like a corset.

Reactions: Left handed

Left handed

May 8, 2018
Admittedly, he was starting to look a little better out of the gate during the Anaheim game. He came in with a burst of energy and a little bit more confidence. But that seemed to wane throughout the broadcast. By the end, he was back to his rambling, incoherent 5th grade musings on play development while looking scared stiff much of the time.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Even if you know what you’re talking about, it still has to be a hard job to remain somewhat natural in camera, especially for a lot of ex athletes who weren’t necessarily made for TV. And to just be able to speak halfway coherently while knowing when to stop talking too.

Some guys are made for this type of work, I don’t think Howard is. I felt the same about Osgood but he came a LONG way so maybe there’s hope for Howard.

Personally, I’d have been great for a broadcast career. For years, people comment on my voice and how it would be lovely over a radio or on TV. The main problem is nobody wants to listen to a mush mouthed, mumbling, stammering moron so that (and THAT ALONE!) derailed my multimillion dollar career.

His ring fits like a corset.
I think that's the biggest thing besides being natural on camera is to be able to make a bite-sized point while talking about the game with your broadcast partner, and doing it without a bunch of "uhs" and "likes."

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Why? The last contract was a buffet filled retirement gift. He's a multimillionaire. Hire a pro. I don't want to hear/see these unqualified broadcasters, including these pushed forward women... Sorry ladies, but you doing commentary on hitting, fighting, message sending or the details or skill of the game is laughable. 15 year old high school teams beat the best women in the world. Stick to the nice dresses and highlight reels on NHL Network.

Left handed

May 8, 2018
I think that's the biggest thing besides being natural on camera is to be able to make a bite-sized point while talking about the game with your broadcast partner, and doing it without a bunch of "uhs" and "likes."
Agreed. It's not like having a casual conversation about a game.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why? The last contract was a buffet filled retirement gift. He's a multimillionaire. Hire a pro. I don't want to hear/see these unqualified broadcasters, including these pushed forward women... Sorry ladies, but you doing commentary on hitting, fighting, message sending or the details or skill of the game is laughable. 15 year old high school teams beat the best women in the world. Stick to the nice dresses and highlight reels on NHL Network.
100% agree with your hot piss take. That's what made guys like Mike Milbury and Danny Gare such great broadcasters while p***yes who didn't play like Dave Strader and Gary Thorne absolutely sucked.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think the plan is to start Howie next season but with a backup goalie ready to go. The problem is that the Wings are running out of goalies to throw in the booth, especially with Manny working for CBJ right now. Is Greg Hanlon still coaching in Germany? He brings coaching credentials to the booth, which would actually be good even if he sucked as the Caps coach.

Also, what's the team's fascination with goalies anyways? Goalies for head coach and goalies for analysts. So many goalies, and they aren't really known for their personality, most of them are headcases.

I hope Norm Maracle is next.

Dresden

Nov 8, 2022
Zadina might be free shortly. Wings should try to squeeze some value out of that contract and he does speak English pretty well.

Reactions: Hugh Mongusbig

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
100% agree with your hot piss take. That's what made guys like Mike Milbury and Danny Gare such great broadcasters while p***yes who didn't play like Dave Strader and Gary Thorne absolutely sucked.

Reality buffered by humor works for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad