I want so badly for Howie to succeed in his broadcasting career...

Left handed

May 8, 2018
But boy is it so cringey watching him struggle through the segments he's invited to. He seems to get tripped up on his words when he's providing insights. He's often caught looking at the wrong camera or nowhere in particular. He looks very tense most of the time he's on camera. His body language looks awkward, as if he's so focused on thinking about what to say next instead of allowing it to casually flow out of him.

After all he's done for the team, I really want his broadcast career to take off. Maybe he can work with Ozzie on learning how to be a little more loose and not getting caught up in his own head on what to say. Ozzie wasn't exactly the cool, calm, and collected broadcaster he is today, so that gives me some hope. Let's go Howie!

Left handed

May 8, 2018
Like I said in the last GDT... Jimmy looks like the Wings told him he was going to become a broadcaster without asking him if he wanted to do it. Just stuffed him (almost literally) into a suit and jammed him in front of a camera.
Hah, but his sausage fingers are so adorable.

Osgood wasn't great at first, but Jimmy is having a tougher time. Let him get some games in, if it isn't his thing, surely they can find him a job within the organization. It's a job I could never do.
These are my sentiments exactly. I think a lot of the cringe comes from extreme empathy. I often find myself doing exactly what Jimmy does when he starts tripping himself up, especially when I'm trying too hard to come up with something clever.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Osgood wasn't great at first, but Jimmy is having a tougher time. Let him get some games in, if it isn't his thing, surely they can find him a job within the organization. It's a job I could never do.
You gotta wonder why they don't give them a year's worth of training before they make them full time. Osgood, Manon, and now Howie....

Their philosophy is entirely sink or swim.

ColdToiletSeats

Jul 10, 2006
Detroit
He's the worst I've ever seen. I would be less cringe on there than him. They made him do a play by play the other night and he was saying the most basic sh*t ever that a pewee hockey kid would say.

They need to get him off of there asap. He's also ruining light the lamp by being paired with Osgood.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Left handed

May 8, 2018
He's the worst I've ever seen. I would be less cringe on there than him. They made him do a play by play the other night and he was saying the most basic sh*t ever that a pewee hockey kid would say.

They need to get him off of there asap. He's also ruining light the lamp by being paired with Osgood.
The primary reason I want him to succeed is because I assume it was his decision to get into broadcasting. If it wasn't, then by all means set him out to pasture. Poor guy just looks lost out there.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
That's putting it very nicely. He was really awful at first. He took so much crap when he first started.

Give JHoww some time, he'll get better.

Left handed

May 8, 2018
That's putting it very nicely. He was really awful at first. He took so much crap when he first started.

Howie seems to struggle with articulating his points, and I suspect he's getting tripped up in his own mind due to nerves. I sometimes do the same thing, for instance, in a job interview. That said, he did seem a little more relaxed than his first broadcast in game one. He just needs to relax and settle in, as if he's just chatting with his friends about their favorite sport.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The dude is nervous as all get out. You can literally see his hands shaking while he's fidgeting with his pen. I would imagine that he will keep working on it and try to get calmed down a little so things can feel more natural. I completely understand, because I'm similar with public speaking and job interviews and the like, but then again, I would never try to make a career out of it!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The tradition of bad broadcasting continues. Newbs should be cutting their teeth on affiliate broadcasts. Breaking in too many with baptism by fire.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Copied and pasted from my GDT post on Howie:

"Remember to blink. Don't blink too much. Don't grit your teeth. Don't leave your mouth open. Don't fidget. Don't freeze. Don't touch your face. Don't leave your hands on the desk too long. Don't smile too wide. Don't look mad. Don't frown. Don't lick your lips. Don't look bored. Don't look too relaxed during a game going badly. Don't look too happy during a game going well. Don't stutter. Don't trail off. Don't ramble on trying to hold on to your original point. Don't be too robotic. Don't be too folksy.

Yeah."

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

For real. Also, Murph was (maybe still is) the dullest voice/presence I ever seen on TV.

With all that said, I honestly don't care one way or the other if Jimmy makes it in this line of work. He's never had a "TV presence" in my mind. Unless he has no other way to make a living, his trial run will probably be similar to Doug Brown's or Pat Verbeek's. (Yes, they bot tried it for a few games).

You know who I think would have been great at TV if it weren't for the language barrier? Pav. I feel like he'd start out joking way too much but would reign it in over time.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Stiff and self-conscious is how I would describe Howie. Maybe he gets more comfortable over time, maybe he never shakes the sinking anxiety of self judgement. Idk I could never be a TV presenter.

Reactions: FabricDetails

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Jimmy has some flaws but hes brand new. Give him some time, if he is dedicated to it he will be fine long term. Goalies aren't usually the most outspoken players, but they give a good perspective on the game.

Reactions: Left handed

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hah, but his sausage fingers are so adorable.

These are my sentiments exactly. I think a lot of the cringe comes from extreme empathy. I often find myself doing exactly what Jimmy does when he starts tripping himself up, especially when I'm trying too hard to come up with something clever.
His sausage fingers straight up worry me. The skin around his fingers looks so bloated that I worry if he made a fist his hand would explode. Are there really no medical concerns when your hands are that…meaty? I’m concerned for his circulation.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It’s funny that he’s decided to get into broadcasting because I seem to remember at some point in his playing career he got a lot better at interviews. His delivery was more fluid and he came off a lot more confident. It was a pretty quick turn around, and I distinctly remember thinking “it’s almost like he went out of his way to improve his on-camera presence.” It felt like he had taken lessons from someone. And that’s kind of how he came off on camera - as much as he had improved, the confidence that he was showing still seemed kind of performative. It didn’t quite seem genuine yet.

Now I wonder if that’s when he started thinking about his future after hockey and thought about broadcasting. Maybe he reached out to someone about it and they said “let’s start with you how you come off on camera.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad