I want so badly for Howie to succeed in his broadcasting career...

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Howard looks like he's been performing as Frankenstein's monster in a play for the last 30 years and then was suddenly asked to be an NHL broadcaster. It's a wonder he's not grunting more.

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
They should just have him suit up with his mask and all. Might make less awkward for him.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I will say that when Dave Andreychuk started in the studio in Tampa, he was like a Shrek in headlights. He was god-awful and probably worse than howard or murphy. But after 10+ years he has become serviceable. So there's hope yet!

Reactions: Left handed

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Wow is he bad. He literally shakes while on camera... can't even get simple rehearsed phrases out without stumbling over his own words... 1000% cringe factor so far and I don't see it getting better.

And here I thought Manon was bad.... Jimmy is far worse.

• Haha
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
1098229(1).jpg

Tom_jones-2.jpg

Dresden

Nov 8, 2022
Do the Wings *really* need another talking head in the studio? It's not like a search party was dispatched after Jimmy went missing following his debut. Keating can talk to himself all day if needed but he's got ready help. Did the Wings get a heads up that someone is leaving soon? Jimmy has got no feel and nothing interesting to say.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
He's no worse than Ozzie was his first season, so I think next season will be the make or break season.
Sounds like a lot of people have forgotten about that.

I think they need to have him talk first so he can make his points instead of just agreeibg with what's being said. Build some confidence.

… build some confidence… it's a recurring theme this season

Reactions: Left handed

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sounds like a lot of people have forgotten about that.

I think they need to have him talk first so he can make his points instead of just agreeibg with what's being said. Build some confidence.

… build some confidence… it's a recurring theme this season
.... and have a naked woman standing next to the camera so he faces the right way.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Poor guy hopefully he can get over it, like when I see his hands shaking it brings up my anxiety. I know that feeling Howie.

I'll always be grateful for him sticking his glove in Crosby's face.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Dresden

Nov 8, 2022
It's kind of odd that people with no broadcasting background get pushed right into the big leagues without any kind of prep. Happens all the time. Tony Romo is great but he's a natural. Other guys need a break in period.....why does it need to be a prime time NHL role????

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Some guys do make a smooth transition. Yandle has a calm confidence about him and Bieksa is just plain cocky. I like both of those guys.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's kind of odd that people with no broadcasting background get pushed right into the big leagues without any kind of prep. Happens all the time. Tony Romo is great but he's a natural. Other guys need a break in period.....why does it need to be a prime time NHL role????
Send him to GR, lol.

But yeah, I feel the same way. It's like there's no interview or practice, it's straight to the NHL with no experience.

At least it's not as cringeworthy as Leah Hextall, only because he's a commentator and not PBP. I usually don't watch intermission anyways.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I thought Tony started red hot and then quickly turned into a baffoon?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He's no worse than Ozzie was his first season, so I think next season will be the make or break season.
The similarities to Ozzie's early career are strong.

I'd like to see him succeed because im not interested in rooting for someone else's failure but am not actually invested in it. That said, Give howie some time to get his legs under him.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The similarities to Ozzie's early career are strong.

I'd like to see him succeed because im not interested in rooting for someone else's failure but am not actually invested in it. That said, Give howie some time to get his legs under him.

I think the plan is to start Howie next season but with a backup goalie ready to go. The problem is that the Wings are running out of goalies to throw in the booth, especially with Manny working for CBJ right now. Is Greg Hanlon still coaching in Germany? He brings coaching credentials to the booth, which would actually be good even if he sucked as the Caps coach.

Also, what's the team's fascination with goalies anyways? Goalies for head coach and goalies for analysts. So many goalies, and they aren't really known for their personality, most of them are headcases.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I think you guys are being tough on Ozzie. He was bad but not like this.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad