Post-Game Talk: I typed James Neal into my phone

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
This GIF is too funny, Tatar is not amused.

CoolSilverCooter.gif

Good game, always nice to beat down the annoying little brother with the chip on his shoulder. James Neal is a ******* and I eagerly await the day he gets his.

That was hilarious. Tats facial expression sums up the thoughts of this entire board. :laugh: :laugh:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So for today's game i wrote down WHY i gave the + or - to each player and when:

1st Period

Kronwall got a + and - at 14:05 for intercepting a pass (nice) followed by giving it away in the slot (-).
Dekeyser with a great poke check at 16:25 (+)
Kronwall with a + for a great board play at 13:24
On the first goal (long before the goal) I gave a plus to smith at 12:50 for making a nice backhand pass behind himself (+) then Dekyser made a similar backhand pass to the forwards (+) this left several forecheckers in our zone, created sorta an odd man rush followed by Smith (+) great position and goal 12:58.
Kindl took a hit and made a play while doing it 12:15 (+)
Kronwall (+) 11:25 for a good break out pass
Kindl (-) lost control of pusck 8:04
Kronwall + created space with patience then made a good pass 6:04
Marchenko, nice shot 3:53 (wrister from the boards that found its way through)

2nd Period

Dekeyser tried a back pass again, this time it didnt work well (-) 19:00
Kronwall (-) allowed player to walk infront of the net for a scoring chance (debatable if this was his fault.. but i gave him lots of pluses so far, so i dinged him here). 16:30
Kronwall (+) for an accurate bounce pass 16:10. This was sorta routine, but the pass was so nice that Ericson could clear it so easy, i was impressed so he got the plus.
Marchenko 15:17 (+) this is where he stepped up, hit their puck carrier and played the puck back at the same time. It was a sweet play.
14:30 Kronwall (+) for a good spin play ( he spun around to great space.. cant remember exactly).
Ericsson (+) at 11:53 for a solid pass.followed by 11:49 (-) for bad positioning, this is when there was a turnover at their blue line, and they turned around and got a break away (kindl took a hooking penalty here which i did not minus him for, because he took the penalty on a breakaway trying to cover for E, so i called that a good penalty.
Marchenko (+) for dodging a monster check at 12:52 and then making a play.
Dekeyser 10:30 + for a smart pass.
Smith 9:59 + for a centering pass while being covered by 2 guys. Well done.
Marchenko 9:30 Turnover (-)
Kronwall 5:11 great pass (+)
Ericsson 5:40 bad pass (-)
Smith 4:44 (-) for that one handed holding penalty behind the net
Kindly 2:34 (-) for icing (i only call this if it seems unecessary)
0:56 Smith + for a good break out pass. (stretch pass that worked)

3rd Period

Kindl + 17:00 (4on4) good offensive rush where he got in close to the net follwed by 16:50 good def play on lose puck infront of the net on the rush going the other way.
Marchenko (++) 16:04 I gave him 2 + here one for positioning himself very well for the shot, and 2 for scoring. (he couldnt have scored without that nice positioning, so i felt it was worth 2+.
Ericsson (-) 15:33 for turnover and scoring chance against. (Kronwall passed him the puck and he deflected it out front, could have been a goal against easy.
DK 14:18 (+) took a hit and made a play behind the net.
14:50 Marchenko bobble (-) Kindl (+) good save on marchenko's possible turnover.
13:50 (+) for Ericsson for a nice one timer on a good pass from Kronwall (+). Note this one was sort of routine, but kronwall and ericsson had combined for a good one timer 3 times in this game, so i finally gave them so points for it :)
13:16 + for Ericsson for making a quick pass which created a 2on1 chance for us.
12:15 + Ericsson for making a good short pass in the D zone (standard way our D break out, but I am always impressed when the forecheckers just get absolutely nothing when they seem to be in the right positions).
Kronwall (+) at 7:20 for a solid pass.
Kindl (-) 3:43 for losing a board battle he should have.
Dekeyser 0:25 good play while shorthanded near end of the game +

This game me final scores of

Kronwall 9+ 2-
Ericsson 5+ 3-
Dekeyser 5+ 1-
Kindl 4+ 4-
Marchenko 6+ 2-
Smith 4+ 2-

This is how i compared to loojay's scores:

Kronwall 9+ 2- vs 3+ 3-
Ericsson 5+ 3- vs 6+ 7-
Dekeyser 5+ 1- vs 9+ 3-
Kindl 4+ 4- vs 6+ 4-
Marchenko 6+ 2- vs 9+ 3-
Smith 4+ 2- vs 3+ 6-

We had much different scores on Kronwall. If you look at my history I gave kronwall quite a few pluses today for solid passes. I thought he was hitting everyones tape today and hard. I was impressed, he was clearly different than most other D men today (for me). I expect loojay didnt score these type of plays as well because they are almost routine for Kronwall so could easily be overlooked. I also may have been generous. Feel free to check my time stamps on kronwall to debate my +'s.

We both agreed Ericsson made some good plays today. Loojay found more errors in Ericsson's game than I did.

Dekeyser had a solid game as both our scores had him many more + than -.

This also applis to Marchenko who neither of us said he had more than 2 mistakes today, while having 6 and 9 good plays today. So solid game for him.

Kindl we gave almost the same scores too. With 4+ 4- and loojay gave him 2 more pluses, likely for offensive plays? He was doing well in the O zone today. Either way pretty solid game for him, but he did have a decent number of small mistakes.

Smith me and loojay differed. I have him 4+ 2-; loojay 6- 3+. So he made 3-4 good plays today. And 2 to 6 bad plays. Maybe I missed some. But if we average out to 4 bad plays. and 3-4 good plays, smith's game similar to Kindl for today.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Thanks for the effort, pretty interesting insight into your rating system. I mostly agree with your overall rating.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Really great work BinCookin. This kind of system are real advanced stats imo. 100% eye-test based stats.

I have had my own eye-test based scoring chance data, which includes screen plays etc. but it usually gives majority of all plus points for forwards only. It would nice to implement this system from defenders play to my forward system.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well Tats had just got a minor penalty for nothing much, then Smith got one of those soft-but-obvious penalties. I think his ire is for the refs.

Me too. I thought he was terrible yesterday, looked like he did against the Bruins in the playoffs when he had zero space to operate in.

Smith had his stick held.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Really great work BinCookin. This kind of system are real advanced stats imo. 100% eye-test based stats.

I have had my own eye-test based scoring chance data, which includes screen plays etc. but it usually gives majority of all plus points for forwards only. It would nice to implement this system from defenders play to my forward system.

Ya writing these things down has probably helped me understand how our D play a little better, and also how we sometimes overly blame 1 play or praise 1 play in the game, and ignore the rest. This is just a way to objectively score the eye-ball test (in a way).

I can say by my objective system that Marchenko is infact fitting in quite well in our group. He does not look like a rookie out there. And that is a good thing. It is also not biased as in I WANT to see him doing well, statistically measuring my eye test says he was one of the best D men yesterday. I thought Kronwall was best through very subtle yet really solid plays.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2m2 minutes ago
@DetroitRedWings Ken Holland said they won't have update on Darren Helm (upper body, but not head injury) until tests tomorrow.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The East is kinda tough this year. Every time we put together some good results you think you'd be getting somewhere in the standings but then you see there's a goup of 6 teams in the East who are all putting good results together. Something's gotta give..

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Wings have the Best winning % in the league against Western Conference opponents....

So who do we talk to about moving back to the Western Conference ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad