Post-Game Talk: I love OT this year!

Hunting Bow*

There has only been one game all season where Howard was weak and that was vs San Jose and do you really think the result would have been different with Mrazek in net? You could just as easily say Mrazek cost us the game vs Edmonton even though neither is true.

As far as stealing games goes, I know everyone points to Mrazeks great performance vs Washington but I think the shot differential gives a different perception of the game than it actually was. The scoring chance #'s in that game were 19-11 in favor of the Wings. It was basically Ovechkin forcing a lot of poor shot attempts trying to surpass Fedorov's record with him in the building. Mrazek played well, but I wouldn't say he stole that game any more than Howard did the week previous vs Tampa Bay.

His .861 vs Carolina and .909 vs Dallas, as well as SJS are less than stellar games.

So Howard has played in 9 games and 3 weren't very good games.

I just want one #1 goalie. This rotating does nothing for establishing the clear #1.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I just want one #1 goalie. This rotating does nothing for establishing the clear #1.

Actually, if Howard is going to do as poorly as you think he is, then rotating him in more would only serve to give greater statistical separation from Mrazek, clearly establishing the latter to be superior.

Hunting Bow*

Yeah, the goalie battle is basically a draw now. Which is a good scenario to be in, as both are playing well. Over a larger sample size things should shake out more clearly, but right now, as Flashy points out, there's basically a one game performance separating the two. That's not much to draw substantial conclusions on.

It's a draw because the Wings won't admit their high dollar goalie is being outplayed by a young guy.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
His .861 vs Carolina and .909 vs Dallas, as well as SJS are less than stellar games.

So Howard has played in 9 games and 3 weren't very good games.

His .909 vs Dallas is irrelevant because he left the game injured. Had he played he would easily have stopped the 2 shots Mrazek faced and his SV % would jump past your imaginary line separating a good start vs a bad one.

Mrazek has a .893 vs Edmonton, a .900 vs Carolina and a .903 vs Boston. 9 starts and 3 not very good games same as Howard

Why do we need just one #1 goalie? and if we do, why should we anoint one when both goalies have remarkably similar #'s?

Let them split games and start awarding extra starts when a goalie earns them by outplaying his counterpart. Right now I think Mrazek has earned an extra start over Howard, if he continues to out play him his number of starts should and will increase.

What I don't support is just awarding someone a 70-30 or 80-20 starting job over the other based on a 9 game sample size where they are neck and neck in nearly every category.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
There has only been one game all season where Howard was weak and that was vs San Jose and do you really think the result would have been different with Mrazek in net? You could just as easily say Mrazek cost us the game vs Edmonton even though neither is true.

As far as stealing games goes, I know everyone points to Mrazeks great performance vs Washington but I think the shot differential gives a different perception of the game than it actually was. The scoring chance #'s in that game were 19-11 in favor of the Wings. It was basically Ovechkin forcing a lot of poor shot attempts trying to surpass Fedorov's record with him in the building. Mrazek played well, but I wouldn't say he stole that game any more than Howard did the week previous vs Tampa Bay.

Almost every time you score just one goal, technically it counts the goalie stole the game.
We need both goalies, but Mrazek gives the team a better chance to win.

I also think Howard plays way too deep in the crease.
I also think Howard made himself look bad on that Ryan goal last night, regardless weak or not.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Almost every time you score just one goal, technically it counts the goalie stole the game.
We need both goalies, but Mrazek gives the team a better chance to win.

I also think Howard plays way too deep in the crease.
I also think Howard made himself look bad on that Ryan goal last night, regardless weak or not.

Maybe Mrazek does give them a slightly greater chance to win right now, which is why I think he should be starting a little more often than Jimmy.

Will Mrazek still give the team a better shot to win when he's tired from playing more than he has in his professional career? Is he durable enough to play 50-55 games in a season? if he's not and Howard is cold from sitting on the bench all season what do we do then?

Also the goal Ryan scored last night was almost a carbon copy of the move McDavid used to score on Mrazek. Where was your criticism of Petr's play on that goal? I don't recall you calling for Jimmy to get more starts after that game.

Aug 6, 2012
Nowadays we are so attached to stats like Save % and Shots to come to the conclusion of how well or poorly a player/team played, its really ridiculous. Luckily me and some others out there can trust our eyes more than some silly stats that in the end could tell the story but could also be completely lying to us. Both Howard and Mrazek have been great... one or two questionable goals both ways doesn't do much to sway my opinion considering the quality of their play in my opinion. Both have looked more than capable of winning this team games and both have done so this far.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Nowadays we are so attached to stats like Save % and Shots to come to the conclusion of how well or poorly a player/team played, its really ridiculous. Luckily me and some others out there can trust our eyes more than some silly stats that in the end could tell the story but could also be completely lying to us. Both Howard and Mrazek have been great... one or two questionable goals both ways doesn't do much to sway my opinion considering the quality of their play in my opinion. Both have looked more than capable of winning this team games and both have done so this far.

If you literally read this thread, you will see everyone disagrees with one another based on what they saw. You can see how that's an impractical metric to measure anything ever right?

Aug 6, 2012
If you literally read this thread, you will see everyone disagrees with one another based on what they saw. You can see how that's an impractical metric to measure anything ever right?

Yeah probably should have quoted... that was pointed at the guy who's only response was SV% :laugh:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

SV % is a better stat than any goalie stats I can think of, but it still fails to take into account the quality of the shots against.

A wrister from center ice isn't exactly as dangerous as a breakaway or a point blank one timer but save % values them equally.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
SV % is a better stat than any goalie stats I can think of, but it still fails to take into account the quality of the shots against.

A wrister from center ice isn't exactly as dangerous as a breakaway or a point blank one timer but save % values them equally.

Also it turns out one in Boston is a shot for the home team and not for the road team, like several other home arenas.

I would put a lot more faith in certain stats if they were kept by a NHL employee, not some in house flake. SV% is one of the better ones, but as you said it doesn't really count everything equally, it still relies to heavily on the biases of the home scorer at times.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think the NHL should have "mega shots" which count for 5 shots because they were so good.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Maybe Mrazek does give them a slightly greater chance to win right now, which is why I think he should be starting a little more often than Jimmy.

Will Mrazek still give the team a better shot to win when he's tired from playing more than he has in his professional career? Is he durable enough to play 50-55 games in a season? if he's not and Howard is cold from sitting on the bench all season what do we do then?

Also the goal Ryan scored last night was almost a carbon copy of the move McDavid used to score on Mrazek. Where was your criticism of Petr's play on that goal? I don't recall you calling for Jimmy to get more starts after that game.

I do not see where you think we disagree.
I say the same as you, that we need Howard, we can't just give #1 to Mrazek for several reasons.
It seems to me that we aslo agree that by this point Mrazek shoud get ~47 starts, Howard ~35.

Where we disagree is I say that Mrazek gives the team a better chance to win, while you might not think the same.

And yes, Mrazek has given up some very weak goals too. The 1st goal vs Bruins was extremely weak. There are some others too.
And if you look at the stats now, it seems like Mrazek is establishing himself as top 5/10 in the league, while Howard is falling to bottom 10.
We will watch the next 5-10 games and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad