Post-Game Talk: I hate the Sharks goal horn

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
I'm getting old cause I used to stay up for these late games. I watched exactly half the game then called it a night. What a brutal first period. I could see they were actually starting to play in the 2nd but that first period was so frustrating to watch because the whole team didn't really show up. I was happy to see they turned it around and dominated the 2nd half of the game and got the win.

Weiss looked good to me. He'll never be considered fast or strong but he starting to look more aware with the puck, which is a great sign. He and Helm being healthy and playing well really changes the dynamic of this team. I like what I see out of Jurco, too.

Couture should get suspended. That was a dangerous slew foot.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Stone hands luke has like 8 goals or something this year.

I think he is upgraded to WOOD hands luke.

my SBDSS for this game:

K 5+
E 3+ 1-
Kdl 1+ 1-
S 2+ 3-
M 2+
DK 3+ 1-

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Stone hands luke has like 8 goals or something this year.

I think he is upgraded to WOOD hands luke.

my SBDSS for this game:

K 5+
E 3+ 1-
Kdl 1+ 1-
S 2+ 3-
M 2+
DK 3+ 1-

Can you give us a run down again on the SBDSS criteria. I am sure you have explained it 1,000 times already so I apologize.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
It's hard to believe that DeKeyser is our most productive defenseman at even strength.

I don't think so. Every time I watch him I think he looks the best of the bunch. Outside of a few games where he was pretty bad he has been very consistent and smart with and without the puck.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
probably a mistake

i don't understand what the joke would be.

excellent nickname

i don't see how. this is the weakest season for F's that i can remember, though. lots of players have had better seasons without winning the hart than any F this season.

maybe if he missed 0 games and didn't have a lull in his scoring in december and january. even then it would be weird, since he has had many better seasons this this one.
All things considered I think this is one of Pav's best seasons. Over a PPG...leads the team in points while playing several games less than Zetterberg or Tatar...2nd on the team in +/-...to STILL be the best player on the team at 36 is beyond impressive.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Dude is killing it on the PP though, just looked it up and Goose is top 5 in the league for PP goals :amazed:

That's the mystery of it. How can a guy with such an obvious scoring touch get shut down so completely at even strength?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
All things considered I think this is one of Pav's best seasons. Over a PPG...leads the team in points while playing several games less than Zetterberg or Tatar...2nd on the team in +/-...to STILL be the best player on the team at 36 is beyond impressive.
It is really impressive.
That's the mystery of it. How can a guy with such an obvious scoring touch get shut down so completely at even strength?

Babcock can make it happen.
But I do consider him the best coach never the less.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Riley Sheahan is impressing me more and more every game. This kid is going to be a great part of this team's future. Pulkkinen looked like he said hello to the NHL last night

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Riley Sheahan is impressing me more and more every game. This kid is going to be a great part of this team's future. Pulkkinen looked like he said hello to the NHL last night

He got alot of shots on net. He did look good.

I also thought he will learn a little bit that sometimes wide open shots on net don't work that well, but if there were rebounds you never know. I was quite pleased with his game yesterday

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Taped it and watched a little while ago. Slow start but that last 40 minutes we looked good

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I went to bed after the 1st period (it was after 4 am for christ's sake) and I woke up to a somewhat pleasant surprise. Like when you see that you did get that long overdue refund after all that you had given up on. I don't know how we won and perhaps it says more about the Sharks and their dismal form..because in the 1st period the Wings looked awful.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i would say he was better in '13, '12, '11, '09, '08 and probably '07, both offensively and defensively.

the reason he leads the team in scoring is that zetterberg is also not as good as he was. '08 zetterberg could win the hart this season. if '08 DRW were playing in '15, datsyuk and zetterberg would probably be 1st and 2nd in scoring.

hard to say, since the transition game and offensive flow basically collapsed after lidstrom retired (and also b/c of injuries to datsyuk's knee and zetterberg's back), but i think if current datsyuk switched places with datsyuk of several years ago, the current one would be seen as a regular star, but datsyuk of several years ago would win the hart, probably by a good margin. also probably would have been a finalist last season and in '13, and possibly won.

numbers will be different by the end of the season, but only 8 players are currently above a point per game.

crosby, malkin: 1.09 (both playing worst or nearly worst seasons)
seguin: 1.07
kane: 1.05
voracek, backstrom: 1.03
datsyuk, tavares: 1.02

'14 crosby: 1.30
'13 crosby: 1.56
'12 malkin: 1.45
'11 d sedin: 1.27 (crosby 1.61)
'10 h sedin: 1.37 (ovechkin 1.51)
'09 malkin: 1.38 (ovechkin 1.39)
'08 ovechkin: 1.37

level of scoring is basically the same as those other seasons. http://dropyourgloves.com/Stat/LeagueGoals.aspx

'15: 5.51 goals per game
'14: 5.49
'13: 5.44
'12: 5.47
'11: 5.59
'10: 5.68
'09: 5.83
'08: 5.57

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
7 points in 5 games on a trip like this...color me satisfied. Points in the Preds game is gravy.

Especially without the captain. The wings are on the toughest road tri of the year and playing impressive. I think the only game they didnt get points was against the defending champs and it was still a one goal game

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
A lot of Nyquist's goals on the PP are from rebounds or tap-ins you really don't see at even strength. It's just a matter of him being at the right spot at the right time. I don't think it's him having a scoring touch as much as it's him having great awareness.

We're seeing a different touch from Nyquist at ES which is his passing

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's hard to believe that DeKeyser is our most productive defenseman at even strength.

Interesting that it hasn't been Kronwall in either of the last 2 years. Last year it was Smith, this year it has been Dekeyser.

Also just goes to show how important being good on the PP is to a defenseman's overall production. Kronwall doesn't get the most ES points but still outproduces everyone by a mile. It's why I always try to slow down people with the Dekeyser projections. As Babcock said "that's not his calling card".

But I love him nonetheless. Rock solid. Elite thinker. Always in position. Invaluable to the blue line.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Very telling:

-Seriously though, San Jose only managed a successful breakout on about 14% of their touches, while Detroit managed them on almost 25% of their touches. When excluding in-zones passes, Detroit managed to exit the zone successfully on almost half of their touches, while SJ did so on only about 25%. San Jose turned the puck over on almost 40% of their touches, while Detroit did so on only about 25%. San Jose got astoundingly outplayed in this game, and the zone exit numbers go to show part of why that is.

-Detroit's zone exit success didn't come because of their D-men, as only DeKeyser managed more than one successful breakout.

-Their success came at the hands of guys like Datsyuk and Helm, as Datsyuk managed three successful breakouts and turned the puck over zero times.

Defense, as most of us suspected, is having a lot of trouble moving the puck out of our zone. It's our exceptional forward group coming back deep and moving it out themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad