Post-Game Talk: I hate the Sharks goal horn

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Weiss's skating on the forecheck was the hardest I've seen so far. But was anyone else annoyed to hear "what a great play Weiss made on the Pulkkinen goal"? Weiss had a shot blocked and then a goofy saucer pass blocked, "and it somehow made its way to Pulkkinen". Yea because SHEAHAN made an unbelievable quick backhand pass out of traffic to a perfectly open teammate!

Weiss looked great that whole powerplay and then attacked the net at a weak point, which overloaded the Sharks, leading to the open net for Pulkkinen. Just because it wasn't drawn up perfectly doesn't mean the general idea of a smart play wasn't followed. The idea was get to the net with numbers, which Weiss accomplished.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I think it's apparent that for the Wings the 1st 10 minutes of any game is a matter of weathering the storm.

Lately it's really like that. But better that than stop playing in the 3rd as we're used to see it quite often before. Liking how the engine starts to warm up after a while.
2nd and 3rd period tonight was ****ing great. We barely let them shoot on our goal during that span. 4 to 14 in the 1st opposed to 18 + 13 to 6 + 2 in the 2nd and 3rd.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Lately it's really like that. But better that than stop playing in the 3rd as we're used to see it quite often before. Liking how the engine starts to warm up after a while.
2nd and 3rd period tonight was ****ing great. We barely let them shoot on our goal during that span. 4 to 14 in the 1st opposed to 18 + 13 to 6 + 2 in the 2nd and 3rd.

But then they have the Ducks game. Dominate for 40+ and lose in a SO. I know Howard had a bad goal, but they let up.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Weiss looked great that whole powerplay and then attacked the net at a weak point, which overloaded the Sharks, leading to the open net for Pulkkinen. Just because it wasn't drawn up perfectly doesn't mean the general idea of a smart play wasn't followed. The idea was get to the net with numbers, which Weiss accomplished.

That's true it was a veteran play by Weiss to remain on that weak side, I thought Sheahan deserved more credit though.

And true there's no real reason for any Wings fan to complain this road trip. We are getting points in an impressive fashion and most of all with a team effort. Weiss, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Andersson, Nyquist, Marchenko, etc. name anyone on this team they are a factor to our success. Jurco, Miller, Gustavsson, sorry I can't stop thinking how the entire team is contributing in some way. It bodes well for many seasons of exciting Red Wings hockey.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Did anyone else watching hear a Shark's player (maybe Burns?) scream out "****** pick!" on the game tying goal? :laugh: :laugh:

Taking a closer look at the play, it was a blatant pick by Helm. Detroit got really lucky there. :D

I'll sure take the win though.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
But then they have the Ducks game. Dominate for 40+ and lose in a SO. I know Howard had a bad goal, but they let up.

Yeah, that was one of those disappointing losses. But overall they improved in that matter and didn't give up so many games in the 3rd as in the last season, if I'm not mistaken.
So, I was referring to the last two games vs. Kings & Sharks in the first place. Wonder how they come out of the locker on Saturday. Would it be too much to hope for 60 minutes of great hockey again? :sarcsam:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If he's done it makes it easier, but it's certainly not a sure thing that he's done.

If he's not skating in a couple weeks they'll shut him down the rest of the season. Maybe if the Wings make it to the Finals and are beat up and Franzen is good to go then maybe.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
So I guess we're all agreed that Pulky stays now, right?

Nice win, even if the boys were sloppy in the first and completely ****ed up the 4 min pp.

And how bout Glendenning with the backhander for the win? No way he would have attempted that last year. Good to see that he's been gaining some confidence/practicing with Datsyuk has been rubbing off on him.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I hope Couture has a suspension coming. The best part was how Couture acted like he did nothing wrong.

But considering how things have gone this year, I'm not holding my breath.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Weiss's skating on the forecheck was the hardest I've seen so far. But was anyone else annoyed to hear "what a great play Weiss made on the Pulkkinen goal"? Weiss had a shot blocked and then a goofy saucer pass blocked, "and it somehow made its way to Pulkkinen". Yea because SHEAHAN made an unbelievable quick backhand pass out of traffic to a perfectly open teammate!
Weiss kind of invited them to crash the net as we outnumbered them there. It was great play by both him and Sheanen.
That's true it was a veteran play by Weiss to remain on that weak side, I thought Sheahan deserved more credit though.

And true there's no real reason for any Wings fan to complain this road trip. We are getting points in an impressive fashion and most of all with a team effort. Weiss, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Andersson, Nyquist, Marchenko, etc. name anyone on this team they are a factor to our success. Jurco, Miller, Gustavsson, sorry I can't stop thinking how the entire team is contributing in some way. It bodes well for many seasons of exciting Red Wings hockey.
Good point.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 4h4 hours ago
Ken Holland said Brendan Smith is "fine, day to day, nothing serious," after hitting head on ice late following slew-foot from Couture.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 5h5 hours ago
Mike Babcock said Jonas Gustavsson starting Saturday at Nashville

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Z can't come back soon enough....

Game in Nashville should be automatic/scheduled loss right? 3PM EST start on Saturday, so first the time-change and then an early start on Saturday when they started playing 10:30PM EST on Thursday, playing against the best team in the NHL that hasn't lost back-to-back all season (they lost last game)... Yikes... Wings were slow started tonight and have usually been this season... don't know if I wanna watch that one even though the time of puck-drop is really nice.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
7 points in 5 games on a trip like this...color me satisfied. Points in the Preds game is gravy.
+1. Colour me very satisfied. Almost amazing.

Z can't come back soon enough....

Game in Nashville should be automatic/scheduled loss right? 3PM EST start on Saturday, so first the time-change and then an early start on Saturday when they started playing 10:30PM EST on Thursday, playing against the best team in the NHL that hasn't lost back-to-back all season (they lost last game)... Yikes... Wings were slow started tonight and have usually been this season... don't know if I wanna watch that one even though the time of puck-drop is really nice.

And they probably want to revange for the last loss as we handled them quite easily. They will come out firing on all cylinders.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 4h4 hours ago
Ken Holland said Brendan Smith is "fine, day to day, nothing serious," after hitting head on ice late following slew-foot from Couture.

Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 5h5 hours ago
Mike Babcock said Jonas Gustavsson starting Saturday at Nashville

Why? How come Howard isn't starting? Gus had a good game against Kings but he's so hit and miss. Good godhe scares me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
7 points in 5 games on a trip like this...color me satisfied. Points in the Preds game is gravy.

Getting a point in Nashville would be very nice. I think they can, the way they had to work a hot goalie for the last 120 minutes of hockey was impressive and bodes well for Rinne. Quick was lights out and then so was Niemi and they found a way to finally break through that has to do great things for their confidence.

Also of interest Montreal (they are playing terrific hockey so who knows) has to do the California swing, plus Phoenix next week. Could be very interesting if they lay an egg on their similar trip next week and tighten up the points.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
"Cool hand Luke" is the obvious pun and it's the one they're using on NHL.com. But I think Backhand Luke is more appropriate given how he scores all his goals :laugh:

Z/D/Abby
Tats/Sheahan/Nyquist
Franzen/Helm/Pulks
Jurco/Glendening/Weiss

Miller #13

Yeah, it's tough. It's a packed forward group. And no real baddies like we used to have in the past few years. I like every single one of those players.

It's Stone Hands Luke

Aug 6, 2012
Pulkkinen is going to really good. I can't believe how good his instincts on offense are.

The time his shot squeaked through Niemi and somehow didn't go in was most impressive to me. He was ready to shoot the second the faceoff was dropped, even when it was pretty much a pile of players around the puck.

He showed a lot more poise with the puck last night too.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Is Glendenning an inside joke or just a typo?
probably a mistake

i don't understand what the joke would be.

"Cool Hands" Luke FTW!!!!! My 3 stars him, pavel, and pulks.
excellent nickname

Pavel the Destroyer should get more credit. He is having a Hart season.
i don't see how. this is the weakest season for F's that i can remember, though. lots of players have had better seasons without winning the hart than any F this season.

maybe if he missed 0 games and didn't have a lull in his scoring in december and january. even then it would be weird, since he has had many better seasons this this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad