Post-Game Talk: I hate the Leafs

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Because any young pieces you want to build a team with are better with Larkin around than without him. Let him carry all the leadership duties and let the kids play.

You can't build around Larkin. He simply isn't good enough. Larkin is basically on the same level that Patrick Sharp was on the contending Hawks team. Just from a talent comparison. Really good player, but he was not what you built the team around.

Reactions: taliababa

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You can't build around Larkin. He simply isn't good enough. Larkin is basically on the same level that Patrick Sharp was on the contending Hawks team. Really good player, but he was not what you built the team around.
You don't need to build around Larkin. The last 3 Cup winning captains weren't their teams' best player.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
People have already talked about bailing on the season.

Holland and ownership f***ed this team with bad deals and extending a meaningless playoff streak. We're 3 and a half years into the rebuild and when the Wings were legitimately rock bottom got screwed in a draft that wasn't super strong to begin with.

Whining about the rebuild seems premature and entitled. As I said in another thread, had Yzerman not bought him out Justin f***ing Abdelkader would still be playing on this roster making $4.25 million. That's what Yzerman was dealing with when he became GM.

Last edited by a moderator:

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Thinking Walman might be one of our better selling assets since we will be dealing at the deadline again. Playing some pretty solid D, good shot. Yeah he is a rental, but he is also a low cap hit for cap strapped contenders.

Wouldn't be mad if we kept him though.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Whining about the rebuild seems premature and entitled. As I said in another thread, had Yzerman not bought him out Justin f***ing Abdelkader would still be playing on this roster making $4.25 million. That's what Yzerman was dealing with when he became GM.
Wow, that’s actually wild. This would be the final year of Abdelkader’s deal.

:laugh:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Thinking Walman might be one of our better selling assets since we will be dealing at the deadline again. Playing some pretty solid D, good shot. Yeah he is a rental, but he is also a low cap hit for cap strapped contenders.

Wouldn't be mad if we kept him though.
Too bad Stevie decided to sign Zadina to 3 years instead of Walman. Flip those 2 contracts and he looks like a genius.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You've never seen a player have better seasons further into their contracts?

Last year Copp combined to put up 53 points between the Jets and Rangers. He did so with a 13% shooting with the Jets and 25% with the Rangers. His career average is 10.9%. On a bad team, He is not going to get to play against opposing 3rd/4th lines. So, no I do not expect Copp to improve next year.
You don't need to build around Larkin. The last 3 Cup winning captains weren't their teams' best player.

Larkin would be a 3c on the last three cup winners.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Toronto is more skilled team, that is game difference. Not a bad game overall, we are getting closer to have better position at the draft.
Ned just had 3 very good games at GR, we have 3 good goalkeepers .
Something is off with first line, ether they need more practice or it's not a good combination, I also believe Perron will be traded for cop contender. Our defense looks good, should stay the same till end of the season,except letting Edvinsson few games
Vrana no points again tonight -1 and missed his shoot out attempt

Too bad Stevie decided to sign Zadina to 3 years instead of Walman. Flip those 2 contracts and he looks like a genius.
Walman has better speed and finish than a lot of our forwards.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
And I'd love for him to be our 3C. The problem with the Wings is not Larkin.

The spare parts around Larkin aren't the problem. You need the elite talent that makes those spare parts look competent and get favorable matchups. Extending Larkin will not result in the Wings contending for a cup 3-4 years from now. They have nothing to build around which makes Larkin the problem because it forces management to either accept the fact that the current rebuild has failed or extend Larkin and continue to limp along for another 2-3 years of 15-20th in the standings hockey and then still needing to do that rebuild.

This situation was cut and dry when Datsyuk retired. The Wings needed to sell everything. They didn't and they ended up being in hockey purgatory for the next 2-3 years. They probably should have done it when Lidstrom retired, but there was a legitimate argument to try one more time with Z/D and Kronwall.

Now they have a roster that is far worse, but they should stay on the path because? I need a reason to care about the Wings. I have not cared about them in a long time because I felt that they were never actually building anything worth investing into. I would rather see the Wings go 0-82-0 then what we have seen the past eight years.

Tear it down or go all in but for the love of God please don't stand in the middle.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The spare parts around Larkin aren't the problem. You need the elite talent that makes those spare parts look competent and get favorable matchups. Extending Larkin will not result in the Wings contending for a cup 3-4 years from now. They have nothing to build around which makes Larkin the problem because it forces management to either accept the fact that the current rebuild has failed or extend Larkin and continue to limp along for another 2-3 years of 15-20th in the standings hockey and then still needing to do that rebuild.

This situation was cut and dry when Datsyuk retired. The Wings needed to sell everything. They didn't and they ended up being in hockey purgatory for the next 2-3 years. They probably should have done it when Lidstrom retired, but there was a legitimate argument to try one more time with Z/D and Kronwall.

Now they have a roster that is far worse, but they should stay on the path because? I need a reason to care about the Wings. I have not cared about them in a long time because I felt that they were never actually building anything worth investing into. I would rather see the Wings go 0-82-0 then what we have seen the past eight years.

Tear it down, go all in but for the love of God please don't stand in the middle.
How are the spare parts around Larkin not the problem? It's not the team's best player's fault that the rest of the roster isn't as good as he is.

Larkin, Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Kasper, Hronek are fine to build around. Ras, Bergie, Soda, Veleno will hopefully continue to grow into good depth guys. Plus it's not like we should stop acquiring talent once you move away from rock bottom. Find a true 1st line shoot first goal scoring winger (basically what Zadina should have been) somewhere and you've got a decent core.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Walman has better speed and finish than a lot of our forwards.
Certainly looked a lot better than most of our shootout attempts.

Too bad he was injured when he joined the team, I think Stevie would have given him more term if he played like this last season. At worst he's a 3rd pair D in this league, 2nd pair on some teams.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Fun fact:

Well, the Wings have the 25th ranked offense in the NHL. The bar has been set really low.

Copp's play isn't terrible. His contract makes him terrible. That was the first real big mistake Yzerman made when signing FA's. It was a very Holland'esque signing.

Assuming Yzerman doesn't have a fire sale before the deadline (Larkin included), then I see this team performing at roughly the same level two years from now.
I strongly disagree.

Lots of kids in the pipeline who are almost ready and are already making big strides on the team.

This is a massively over dramatic post.

This is still a rebuild year. It’s supposed to be a big step forward from last year, but the rebuild isn’t fully over yet. Just because Seider and Raymond took the world by surprise last season doesn’t mean we should be planning the parade this season.

So far this season I’ve seen improvements from #27 and #90.

#52 has been a pleasant surprise as well.

#53 and #23 are having sophomore slumps but we already know what they are capable of.

In 2 years time, all said players will be improved. Put into consideration that big tall blonde haired Swede we just drafted 2 seasons ago and the feisty centre from last draft… and another decent kid from the upcoming draft (might be a generational talent at this rate)…

LTIR: the future is bright. The present is not. Team is in a slump, not the end of the world. Team wasn’t winning the cup this year anyways and at best was fighting for a wild card spot just to get their teeth kicked in during the first round à la Maple leafs

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Copp is playing exactly how he's always played apart from a 16 game stretch after he got traded to the Rangers. Why would Yzerman expect him to be anything other than what he's been so far this year?
Because Yzerman paid him 5.6 million AAV

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

Tear it down or go all in but for the love of God please don't stand in the middle.
Exactly. Stop tugging at my heart strings making me think everything is ok from the beginning of the season only to just f*** it all up from midpoint on like they're doing now and like they did last year. It's like we look like a good playoff team for the first few months and then we run outta gas for some reason, even while injured as we were. In fact shouldn't the team be getting better with the caliber of players coming back from injury? I mean we held Toronto to 2 whole shots in the 1st period. What wasn't working the next 2?? Can this team ever carry the play for a whole game?

Reactions: 14ari13

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
defense sucks. offense is worse. its a bit surprising theyre the same if not worse then last year

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Ever since we stopped making the playoffs it's always been December where the team's wheels begins to fall off. What is with December? No matter the roster

Reactions: 13to40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad