Post-Game Talk: I don't care how, just keep winning.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Fun fact: Jakub Kindl has 2 points since December 1st. Does anyone still expect him to become a legit NHL player, much less an offensive defenseman? :amazed:

Kindl plays the second most PP mins behind Kronwall and hasn't put up three points total over the past 3.5 months. That's pathetic.

I was the one suggesting this summer that Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and Jurco belonged on this team. It's time for Almqvist to take Kindl's spot on the roster. That alone will help us score goals as Almqvist is a legit offensive d-man. He can also QB that second PP unit. Kindl has been getting the softest of soft minutes and competition, so there will be a very kind learning curve for AA.

We have one offensive d-man who actually plays on the power play. If Smith isn't going to get PP time then at least give Almqvist a shot, he has proven there is nothing left for him to accomplish in the remedial hockey league known as the AHL.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Almquist has 44 points in 58 games this season (#3 in the league amongst defensemen), and that with so many of the Griffins' stars being gradually moved up to Detroit. If things stay as they are, he's likely to make the team. If, as Babcock suggests, he falls in love with the weight room and with eating over the offseason, he's a lock. He's got the puck-moving ability from the back end that the Wings desperately need.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, Im glad I didn't watch the game too. Are we Oiler bad now?

And I'm happy about the points. Wings are still in the race, at least for now.

Actually the kids are looking great. Nice pass from Tats to set up Sheahan. Beautiful goal from Tats in the shootout. Glad to see Pulkkinen get some ice time. Howard gave us a chance although I don't remember any ridiculous saves he was required to make.

We're a bit like the Anaheim team that Babs coached to a win over Detroit and took to the Stanley Cup finals before losing to New Jersey.

We are missing our most skilled players and it's a matter of time until Mule becomes his usual self and becomes a ghost. We've gone through periods like this in the past where we had to grind to get wins. The hope is Holland actually pays attention and he rewards the guys who are coming through.

Nyquist is looking like a 50-60 point guy if he starts the year in Detroit. For $850k. Nice work Kenneh. :laugh:

Tatar is looking like a 40-50 point guy if he plays a full season. For $650k.

Jurco is showing signs of also being a 20+ goal scorer. For $718k.

Sheahan is looking like a 40-50 point guy who is a boss along the boards and in front of the net. For $740k.

Cleary, Sammy, Bert, Tootoo, and Emmerton make a combined $11.75 million. What are they doing while we are fighting for our playoff lives? Why did they deserve roster spots again?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Legit question. But taking it as a rhetorical one for a good reason , right?

Well, if this doesn't put an end to the "over ripe" nonsense until we have an NHL roster stocked with 23 LEGIT hard working, talented, healthy, committed hockey players then we are doomed to do the same stupid stuff.

Until that time I never want to hear this front office use "over ripe" as an excuse to bury the organization's NHL ready prospects.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
didn't realize it but the wings are 6-0-2 in their last 8 games at home. not bad considering their troubles earlier in the year at home

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Well, if this doesn't put an end to the "over ripe" nonsense until we have an NHL roster stocked with 23 LEGIT hard working, talented, healthy, committed hockey players then we are doomed to do the same stupid stuff.

Until that time I never want to hear this front office use "over ripe" as an excuse to bury the organization's NHL ready prospects.

I'm not sure you're using "over ripe" in the right context here.

"Over ripe" is what people complain about when their favorite prospect plays too long on the farm team (which seems to be every single one of our prospects around here).

The organization has them in the minors until they feel they are ripe enough and can step up and make an immediate impact. For some people, that's too long - hence "over ripe".

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm not sure you're using "over ripe" in the right context here.

"Over ripe" is what people complain about when their favorite prospect plays too long on the farm team (which seems to be every single one of our prospects around here).

The organization has them in the minors until they feel they are ripe enough and can step up and make an immediate impact. For some people, that's too long - hence "over ripe".

Ray Ferraro mentioned that when talking about Landon. He said he wasn't even ripe yet, let alone over-ripe. The organization has always joked about how they treat their best prospects. It didn't happen as much before the cap but it happens all the time now.

To be clear I was never one of those guys who whined about wanting Mattias Ritola on the big club. I never thought Cory Emmerton or Jakub Kindl or Jan Mursak had to have a spot on the team. I was fine with every one of those guys spending every single day of their waiver free time in Grand Rapids. Same with Callahan and Ferraro.

No one can honestly say with a straight face that the $11.75 million spent on players like Bert, Sammy, Tootoo, Cleary and Emmerton was a better use of roster spots and cap space than playing the kids. There's a reason only one of those veterans still gets any ice time while the kids are carrying us and are showing they very clearly belong in the NHL.

Johnz96*

Actually the kids are looking great. Nice pass from Tats to set up Sheahan. Beautiful goal from Tats in the shootout. Glad to see Pulkkinen get some ice time. Howard gave us a chance although I don't remember any ridiculous saves he was required to make.

We're a bit like the Anaheim team that Babs coached to a win over Detroit and took to the Stanley Cup finals before losing to New Jersey.

We are missing our most skilled players and it's a matter of time until Mule becomes his usual self and becomes a ghost. We've gone through periods like this in the past where we had to grind to get wins. The hope is Holland actually pays attention and he rewards the guys who are coming through.

Nyquist is looking like a 50-60 point guy if he starts the year in Detroit. For $850k. Nice work Kenneh. :laugh:

Tatar is looking like a 40-50 point guy if he plays a full season. For $650k.

Jurco is showing signs of also being a 20+ goal scorer. For $718k.

Sheahan is looking like a 40-50 point guy who is a boss along the boards and in front of the net. For $740k.

Cleary, Sammy, Bert, Tootoo, and Emmerton make a combined $11.75 million. What are they doing while we are fighting for our playoff lives? Why did they deserve roster spots again?

Tatar would be a 60 point guy this year if he was afforded the opportunity.

Johnz96*

Or trading them for yet another past his prime injury prone vet that commands a lot more cap for past accomplishments when he was a better player than he is now.
Despite his production in the first half of the season (partially due to his error free defensive style, partially a fluke and partially getting used to NA hockey), he has been every bit as dominant as Nyquist with the Griffs.
If anyone can think of a bet, I am willing to bet that Jarnkrok will be a more productive (and overall better) NHL player next year than Legwand.
And unlike Legwand who will be regressing Jarnkrok will be improving

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Almquist has 44 points in 58 games this season (#3 in the league amongst defensemen), and that with so many of the Griffins' stars being gradually moved up to Detroit. If things stay as they are, he's likely to make the team. If, as Babcock suggests, he falls in love with the weight room and with eating over the offseason, he's a lock. He's got the puck-moving ability from the back end that the Wings desperately need.

I think, right now, he is better than Smith, Lashoff, Quincey, and Kindl.

A2 has the highest hockey IQ and passing out of all of them.
Smith probably has the best shot.
Lashoff is the most defensive minded of the bunch, but he is still crappy at defense.
Smith has the best skating, but A2 isn't far from behind.
Quincey is the most physical, I guess.
If we want more goals and a better PP and to spend more time in the other teams end, we should be playing A2 right now.

There is no roster limit, we have more cap room than we know what to do with it, but Holland and Babcock have their heads so far up their own *****, they have no idea what to do to actually help out the Wings currently.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Lashoff is the most defensive minded of the bunch, but he is still crappy at defense.
If we want more goals and a better PP and to spend more time in the other teams end, we should be playing A2 right now.

There is no roster limit, we have more cap room than we know what to do with it, but Holland and Babcock have their heads so far up their own *****, they have no idea what to do to actually help out the Wings currently.

I think they feel that the 6 defenceman they are currently rolling provide them the best chance to win in their current situation. With our top offensive forwards out trying to out score our opponents won't work most of the time. Instead we have to try and one goal grind-em-up wins and Almqvist's game doesn't suit that style. In order for him to be successful he has to be protected at ES and right now we don't have that luxury, we already have to protect Smith to a degree and we wouldn't be able to have 2 dmen we have 2 protect.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You think that right now... Almquist is better than Smith?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You think that right now... Almquist is better than Smith?

Smith is dumb. Smith might have all the physical tools in the world, but he's just dumb. Horrible decision making, if what he does could actually be considered making conscious decisions. Almquist doesn't have any physical tools, yet he seems to succeed. I'd rather try out a guy that's had to figure out how to be successful than one seemingly getting in his own way all the time.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Smith logic: There are three opposing players right in the slot between me and the guy that I need to make an outlet pass to. All five of them are not there maybe I think I like my odds. Oh man I better hurry up. Babs is always saying a take too much time. (Turns puck over)

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Smith logic: There are three opposing players right in the slot between me and the guy that I need to make an outlet pass to. All five of them are not there maybe I think I like my odds. Oh man I better hurry up. Babs is always saying a take too much time. (Turns puck over)

Really wish we had Larinov, Kozlov, or someone come by in the offseason and preach, piss, and moan about the option of not rushing and hurrying to our defensemen trying to force plays. I'd love Konstintinov too but am unsure if he would be able to.

AA looks really interesting because he is smart as hell and doesn't appear to try to force ****** plays out of desperation in the viewings I have seen from grand rapids. But coach size queen I believe won't give him a fair shake at all. Hope I'm wrong but we know the history of babs.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Franzen - 34 points in 39 games
Datsyuk - 33 points in 39 games

Just thought that was interesting. I'm sure Pavel wants to put this year behind him...

NyquistIsMyGod*

Smith is dumb. Smith might have all the physical tools in the world, but he's just dumb. Horrible decision making, if what he does could actually be considered making conscious decisions. Almquist doesn't have any physical tools, yet he seems to succeed. I'd rather try out a guy that's had to figure out how to be successful than one seemingly getting in his own way all the time.

Brendan Smith has also been used poorly.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Brendan Smith has also been used poorly.

I agree, but i understand the logic behind it. (I suspect all Wings fans understand it) If the Wings were a stacked offensive unit like they used to be, the way Smith is being used right now would make a lot more sense. Making him focus on the weakest part of his game, and rewarding him with more offensive opportunities as he continues to develop his defensive game.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Franzen - 34 points in 39 games
Datsyuk - 33 points in 39 games

Just thought that was interesting. I'm sure Pavel wants to put this year behind him...

Datsyuk pre-concussion:
24 GP, 23 Pts (.96 p/g), +3

Datsyuk post-concussion:
15 GP, 10 Pts (.67 p/g), -5

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Very interesting. And There have been many wanted Franzen bought out.

Franzen was awful to start the season. Awful. And that was coming off an underwhelming end to the previous season and his playoff monster reputation being pretty much gone.

Franzen's start to the season:
13 GP, 5 Pts (.38 p/g), -2

He then missed 11 days, came back and has done the following with another injury in between:

26 GP, 29 Pts (1.12 p/g), +12

Two completely different players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad