Pre-Game Talk: I don't believe Boston is concerned with the stretch pass only....

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Extensive interviews with B's players and coaches (McAvoy, Cassidy, Krug) yesterday and all they were giving credit to was the Leafs ability to "cheat" / blow the zone on the counter attack. Not saying it isn't true, it definitely is - but the way they were going on about it made it seem like it's the only thing we have, when it isn't.

Much like their fans, they have a nice way of belittling their opponents.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Extensive interviews with B's players and coaches (McAvoy, Cassidy, Krug) yesterday and all they were giving credit to was the Leafs ability to "cheat" / blow the zone on the counter attack. Not saying it isn't true, it definitely is - but the way they were going on about it made it seem like it's the only thing we have, when it isn't.

I wonder if they liked our 4th goal. Krejci tried to be selfish and cheats for offense against 3 Leafs at the blue line instead of dumping it in, gets turned over, Marner makes a great pass to Marleau and it’s in the net.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

oh, i see
well does it matter? we beat them.
and we have to beat them 3 more teams, so if we have to cheat with the stretch pass - whatever.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wonder if they liked our 4th goal. Krejci tried to be selfish and cheats for offense against 3 Leafs at the blue line instead of dumping it in, gets turned over, Marner makes a great pass to Marleau and it’s in the net.

Don Sweeney certainly did not :laugh:

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I know, hearing McAvoy going off yesterday was pretty funny. The whole league knows we blow the zone early and we use our speed to counter attack. It's been that way for 2 years now. He's talking as if no other team "cheats" for offense. Just because your team has Mr. Selke who doesn't cheat doesn't mean every team has to play honest. What a little baby.

It was so funny hearing how much he mentioned the word "cheat", it's so obvious he just took down notes while Cassidy was ripping them post-game and used that material to the media. Did you notice when they interviewed Cassidy he also dropped the word "cheat" but he quickly corrected himself and said "Don't want to use the word cheating, but leaning the other way."

Every team has their game plan. For Boston it's to use Marchand and his dirty tactics to injure opposing players :ha:

For teams that actually play hockey they use their speed and skill.

Wish a class act like Bergeron would leave such a classless team & classless fans.

Makes me respect Babcock more when he just says "Yeah, we have a plan, and we're not divulging it, so there!". But by all means, tell us your whole gameplan McAvoy.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

They talked about the stretch pass more because they spent the bulk of Tuesday's practice defending against it.

It worked really well against them in Game 3 (Kapanen breakway, Moore/Brown 2-on-1, Marleau's 1st goal, and numerous other plays which led to the Leafs clearing the puck quickly to a high forward who helped the puck deep for a full line change).

Last edited:
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Lol.

The reason they were talking "excessively" about protecting against the stretch pass, was because they focused yesterday's practice on defending against it. It worked to great effect in game 3 (Kapanen breakaway, Brown-Moore 2-on-1, Marleau's 1st goal, puck off the stick of Nylander otherwise he was through) & they want to counter it.

They weren't saying its "the only thing the Leafs have" lol. We are way too over-sensitive here.
Loll heyy come on now, let us enjoy this one. :snide:

Reactions: Tak7

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
"Worlds Best Defensive Center" has been on the ice for 4 goals against in 3 games....

He was on the ice for 46GA this season, 36 at ES in 64 games == 0.71 GA/GP

Auston Matthews was on the ice for 43GA this season in 60 games == 0.72 GA/GP

Heck, his own teammate Krejci had a similar GA/GP stat to Bergeron (Albiet with less PK time).
David Krejci was on the ice for 49GA, 47 at ES in 64 games == 0.77 GA/GP

Zetterberg and Kadri were only on the ice for 53GA (0.65GA/GP)

There are other guys that aren't far off either.

Bergeron is obviously a very good defenisve forward, but there really isn't that large of a gap between him and half a dozen other defensive Cs in the game.

100% agree. Bergeron is ridiculously overrated on that line. Marchand is the best player on the line. Kinda like Marner, he drives that line

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
100% agree. Bergeron is ridiculously overrated on that line. Marchand is the best player on the line. Kinda like Marner, he drives that line

Not Pastrnak?

Won't pretend to be a Bruins expert, but everytime he gets the puck sh*t seems to happen for them.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The stretch pass is over rated as a reliable threat. Let's not forget too, particularly that Marner play, it was only his off the hook hand eye coordination that even made it possible. It's our speed that will generate offence, sure look for a stretch pass, but they can shut that stuff down pretty easy.
The stretch pass when executed effectively slows down the oppositions forcheck and keeps there D from holding the line on the cycle making it harder to cycle. The result will be giving the Leafs more time to break out with possession to use that speed more often as it becomes a pick your poison. If Boston is forced to trap They're in big trouble.

Boston's entire game is forcheck & cycle based having the ability to stretch pass for this series isn't overrated it's a game changer.

Reactions: cookie and Mork

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
Not Pastrnak?

Won't pretend to be a Bruins expert, but everytime he gets the puck sh*t seems to happen for them.

easily Marchand. Pasta has gotten golden chances all game. 3, 1 on 1's with our goalie with that Hatrick + that wide open goal in the first game.

Personally, I don't like at small sample to judge who is the better player. Sometimes you play your best game and you get 0 points and sometimes you play like terrible and get 2-3 points. That's hockey.

Anyways, Pasta is a finisher and not the creater. Marchand demands the most attention. Plus he outperformed Pasta pretty easily in reg. season

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The stretch pass when executed effectively slows down the oppositions forcheck and keeps there D from holding the line on the cycle making it harder to cycle. The result will be giving the Leafs more time to break out with possession to use that speed more often as it becomes a pick your poison. If Boston is forced to trap They're in big trouble.

Boston's entire game is forcheck & cycle based having the ability to stretch pass for this series isn't overrated it's a game changer.

The Leafs used it a number of times in Game 3, not even to sustain offense, but to clear the zone and change.

Especially in the 2nd period, it was a lot of quick-outs, to a high forward, who deflected the puck in, initiating a 5-man line change.

I fully agree with what you are saying - the Leafs preventing the Boston forecheck/cycle game from kicking off, really is priority from the Leafs puck management standpoint. They just aren't built to withstand that sort of pressure

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
easily Marchand. Pasta has gotten golden chances all game. 3, 1 on 1's with our goalie with that Hatrick + that wide open goal in the first game.

Personally, I don't like at small sample to judge who is the better player. Sometimes you play your best game and you get 0 points and sometimes you play like terrible and get 2-3 points. That's hockey.

Anyways, Pasta is a finisher and not the creater. Marchand demands the most attention. Plus he outperformed Pasta pretty easily in reg. season

Solid insight. Pastrnak is the one that scared me heading into the series, and seeing the way he torched us in games 1 & 2, it felt justified.

But you are totally right regarding him being a finisher.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There is a thread discussing kadri playing between Johnsson and Kapanen. Flipping Plecs and Kadri throughout the course of the game with last change might be a brilliant idea in tetms of matchups.

Kadri can't come back focused on anything other than winning. Marchand will be in his space as much as possible trying to goad him.

Plecs hates boston and their first line and played excellent. I think i am jot opposed to flexibility among kadri and Plecanecs.

Throwing curve balls at them will keep them off balance and just maybe kadri gets Johnsson and Kappy going.

It would be fun to see I think

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Lets hope they really think that and have their defenders play monkey in the middle all night long :nod:.

We gave then 2 games with relative ease, so theyre gonna be a bit cocky as to why the 3rd slipped away.

Lets use those 2 horrible games to our advantage and lull them in...Yes Broons...

All we can do is stretch pass and we are scared :D

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A way to handle Marchand's antics should be exactly how both Komarov (kiss on neck) and Marner (faceoff circle slew foot) did -- simply ignore him and don't give him the satisfaction.

I know the Leafs have to have some sort of pushback on Marchand, but I'd much rather prefer the Leafs treat him just like any sane person would treat an internet troll.

Internet trolls say crap and show up everywhere trying to ignore you, but the second you ignore them, they lose any significance and relevance they had.

The Leafs aren't a team of goons. They aren't a team full of jerks. I'd much rather the Leafs simply ignore Marchand and leave him to the refs. Once he realizes they only care about winning, and not about mucking it up, he loses his relevance.

I thought the Sedins in 2011 played them perfectly. Just turned a blind eye. The problem is the rest of the Canucks weren't on the same page, and lost their minds.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The Bruins are pinching hard which is part of why they’ve enjoyed so much Ozone time. If getting burned last game gets them on their heels a little more thats great.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad