Pre-Game Talk: I don't believe Boston is concerned with the stretch pass only....

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If thats all they are concerned with it sounds like they think we are easy pickings i guess.

This team can skate with any team in the league and Boston knows it. I hope our guys figured it out and use it.

Every player to a man can take a look at how a usually calm player like Morgan Rielly played last game and find that kind of intensity in their own way to help.

Great expierence will be gained in this series but it will be best served in the second round this season and not going into the playoffs next season.

Tie this up and get ready for game 5 with Kadri back should be some solid motivation.

Discipline play can win this next game for us like usual too. Hopefully we can win this next one and get the pressure squarely back on Boston.

Do that first and then equal or out performing their work ethic afterwards is whats needed.

Hell of a series left if we canntie this up firstly. Cutting down on shots seems like a fruitless hope considering our regular season shot suppression stats, but keeping them to the outside and dependingbon Freddy worked all season.

Go leafs!

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Bergeron has 3 goals in his last 17 games.

Memo better be out to (legally) put the body on this guy at all times.

All this focus on Matthews by the media, meanwhile Bergeron over here hiding behind his freebie assists off Pasta.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Bergeron has 3 goals in his last 17 games.

Memo better be out to (legally) put the body on this guy at all times.

All this focus on Matthews by the media, meanwhile Bergeron over here hiding behind his freebie assists off Pasta.

I am not a Bruins fan, but to describe Bergeron as "feeble" is pretty funny.

Reactions: glue

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The stretch pass is over rated as a reliable threat. Let's not forget too, particularly that Marner play, it was only his off the hook hand eye coordination that even made it possible. It's our speed that will generate offence, sure look for a stretch pass, but they can shut that stuff down pretty easy.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I know, hearing McAvoy going off yesterday was pretty funny. The whole league knows we blow the zone early and we use our speed to counter attack. It's been that way for 2 years now. He's talking as if no other team "cheats" for offense. Just because your team has Mr. Selke who doesn't cheat doesn't mean every team has to play honest. What a little baby.

It was so funny hearing how much he mentioned the word "cheat", it's so obvious he just took down notes while Cassidy was ripping them post-game and used that material to the media. Did you notice when they interviewed Cassidy he also dropped the word "cheat" but he quickly corrected himself and said "Don't want to use the word cheating, but leaning the other way."

Every team has their game plan. For Boston it's to use Marchand and his dirty tactics to injure opposing players :ha:

For teams that actually play hockey they use their speed and skill.

Wish a class act like Bergeron would leave such a classless team & classless fans.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
These guys are accustomed to possessing the puck. They have done that successfully through 3 games. Anyone who doesn't think Freddy stole that game for us should re-evaluate.

I would like to see how it effects boston when its them chasing the game instead of us.

We need to out skate and out work them and activate our defensemen in their end when they collapse everyone back low in their end. Matthews needs to plunk his arse in the slot more also. Thats where his goals are and getting his compete level higher will help him score more. Willy is one of the best possession players on the team in the offensive zone, Auston has to be a handful battling down low to allow Willy extra space.

I want to see how boston reacts to not winning the puck possession battles because of us out skating them on every puck.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
**** Boston.

I don't even hate the Bruins, I just hate Boston sports fans. Racist, arrogant, and often don't know what they are talking about. I hate NY too, but their fans are at least worthy of respect. Boston is just a bunch of emotional jerks who have a superiority complex because they are living through the golden age of their city's sports scene, despite the fact that they as fans have 0% impact on those results.

You would think Debrusk is Malkin and Carlo is Doughty based on their posts on the mainboard.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Have to blow it wide open.
Trade odd man rushes.
Leave the zone early (especially Kapanen).
Stretch passes.

... for 60 minutes.

We need 4 goals minimum.

If the Final score is 2-1 we lost.

Gotta score the first goal.

upload_2018-4-18_15-55-18.png

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I know, hearing McAvoy going off yesterday was pretty funny. The whole league knows we blow the zone early and we use our speed to counter attack. It's been that way for 2 years now. He's talking as if no other team "cheats" for offense. Just because your team has Mr. Selke who doesn't cheat doesn't mean every team has to play honest. What a little baby.

It was so funny hearing how much he mentioned the word "cheat", it's so obvious he just took down notes while Cassidy was ripping them post-game and used that material to the media. Did you notice when they interviewed Cassidy he also dropped the word "cheat" but he quickly corrected himself and said "Don't want to use the word cheating, but leaning the other way."

Every team has their game plan. For Boston it's to use Marchand and his dirty tactics to injure opposing players :ha:

For teams that actually play hockey they use their speed and skill.

Wish a class act like Bergeron would leave such a classless team & classless fans.

Haha that was a pretty extensive interview on a specific topic wasn't it lol. They think thats all we have is the stretch pass i suppose.

They can't stop it regardless and i hope it continually puts them back on their heels from here on in the series.

Coming out hard and playing a full 60 minutes of hard skating and see what transpires would be nice to see

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The stretch pass is over rated as a reliable threat. Let's not forget too, particularly that Marner play, it was only his off the hook hand eye coordination that even made it possible. It's our speed that will generate offence, sure look for a stretch pass, but they can shut that stuff down pretty easy.

Yep they can plan a defense for it! It is still in their game plan now. We still beat them on it. Keep doing it as long as it doesn't happen late in a shift incase of a icing!

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
These guys are accustomed to possessing the puck. They have done that successfully through 3 games. Anyone who doesn't think Freddy stole that game for us should re-evaluate.

I would like to see how it effects boston when its them chasing the game instead of us.

We need to out skate and out work them and activate our defensemen in their end when they collapse everyone back low in their end. Matthews needs to plunk his arse in the slot more also. Thats where his goals are and getting his compete level higher will help him score more. Willy is one of the best possession players on the team in the offensive zone, Auston has to be a handful battling down low to allow Willy extra space.

I want to see how boston reacts to not winning the puck possession battles because of us out skating them on every puck.

Freddie was outstanding in the 3rd period but don’t you think the 2 he let in were also soft? So wouldn’t say he stole it for us.

Boston were chasing the 3rd game as they wern’t ahead once.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Haha that was a pretty extensive interview on a specific topic wasn't it lol. They think thats all we have is the stretch pass i suppose.

They can't stop it regardless and i hope it continually puts them back on their heels from here on in the series.

Coming out hard and playing a full 60 minutes of hard skating and see what transpires would be nice to see
don't have likes for 29 more days so i'll just be quoting people with emoticons or saying i agree.

I hope that's all they think we have. They're in for a rude-awakening. McAvoy actually looks pretty smart with those glasses, too bad he came off as a whiny baby. Kid plays with someone who is 7 feet tall and has a 7 foot long stick. You're fortunate he makes things easy for you. Boy, Edwards said it best on Landsberg today. The B's and their fans are gonna really miss Chara and Bergeron once they hang em up. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Freddie was outstanding in the 3rd period but don’t you think the 2 he let in were also soft? So wouldn’t say he stole it for us.

Boston were chasing the 3rd game as they wern’t ahead once.

They had to many shots on net and to much possession time. He came up big when we needed him. So did Plekanec's line.

More offensive zone time and taking away the neutral zone from them with our skating is a game plan i would like to see work somehow.

Their right side in the offensive zone is their weak side. The left side on the other hand is their bread and butter side where they create their breakouts from.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He's the best defensive centre in the world that also puts up a good amount of points.

"Worlds Best Defensive Center" has been on the ice for 4 goals against in 3 games....

He was on the ice for 46GA this season, 36 at ES in 64 games == 0.71 GA/GP

Auston Matthews was on the ice for 43GA this season in 60 games == 0.72 GA/GP

Heck, his own teammate Krejci had a similar GA/GP stat to Bergeron (Albiet with less PK time).
David Krejci was on the ice for 49GA, 47 at ES in 64 games == 0.77 GA/GP

Zetterberg and Kadri were only on the ice for 53GA (0.65GA/GP)

There are other guys that aren't far off either.

Bergeron is obviously a very good defenisve forward, but there really isn't that large of a gap between him and half a dozen other defensive Cs in the game.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
wait. what?
Extensive interviews with B's players and coaches (McAvoy, Cassidy, Krug) yesterday and all they were giving credit to was the Leafs ability to "cheat" / blow the zone on the counter attack. Not saying it isn't true, it definitely is - but the way they were going on about it made it seem like it's the only thing we have, when it isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad