GDT: I | "Ascension" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 1.20.13 | 7:00PM | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
too bad we aren't catching the nucks at home as we could line match them very effectively. With Kesler injured, they are a one line team. Stop the sedins and you win as (so aptly put by one of their fans last night) the canucks bottom 9 is lottery team quality.

The key to winning will be to stay out of the box and limit the icing calls. The sedins are on the ice after every icing call. Offensive zone start vs a tired line is a huge part of their ES scoring stats.

One other thing pointing to the canucks' demise is the fans' belief that the team is not tough enough. An aggressive skating team will give them problems and we saw that last night. This is Krueger's master plan for success and the canucks are ideal opposition to prove this can work.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Center Ice is free for the first 2 weeks.

I ordered center ice yesterday..it works when I go to NHL.com and follow the center ice link, but on my PS3 it says there's no 2013 version of center ice..it it doesn't work on there..
Anyone know if the computer the only way to watch center ice right now?

Freakin excited about this game tonight!!! I've been impatiently waiting for my weekend to almost be over so I can watch this game! I predict N64 scores on his first shift.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If we don't win this game we can throw out the whole "The Oilers have been keeping busy during the lockout so they should get off to a fast start" Theory.

There is no excuse. You can't lose tonight. Canucks looked AWFUL.
Were any of their guys playing during the lockout?

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'm not making any predictions but be leery of a healthy and determined Luongo.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So is game center free this year or what? Has the NHL actually done anything to bring fans back?

I know someoone already mentioned Center Ice being free for two weeks but is Game Center the one on NHL.com? If so, I don't think it's free. Yesterday, they showed a game for 5 minutes or so and then it stopped, telling you to upgrade your feed(assuming, upgrade as in buy a subscription). Although, there could be a chance that they have one specific game for free and all the others are not.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If we don't win this game we can throw out the whole "The Oilers have been keeping busy during the lockout so they should get off to a fast start" Theory.

There is no excuse. You can't lose tonight. Canucks looked AWFUL.
Were any of their guys playing during the lockout?

While I'm sure that it is Consensus around the league that Oilers have the advantage tonight... Canucks still have an NHL team, hockey is sometimes dictated by lucky bounces, and every time a team played us in the last 3 years, there was no excuse to lose to us, but we still won games from time to time.

We should win tonight, but there is certainly no guarantee.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Would you rather have Alex Plante as the 7th D if he were healthy? Teubert? Last I checked the coach decides the lineup not the GM, it's not Tambo's fault that Krueger is doing his best to dress a Nancy Boy lineup against Vancouver.

to be fair though, if there is a team that is softer than us, it's vancouver... we don't need the gritty guys against teams like vancouver

although i agree that fistric would seem the obvious choice over potter

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Can you imagine the reaction in both cities' media if we beat Vancouver like 8-1 or something?

Edmonton: THE DYNASTY HAS STARTED!!!!!!!

Vancouver: GOALTENDING CONTROVERSY!!!!

Not to mention that HF would probably implode with the two fanbases bickering back and forth.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
So is game center free this year or what? Has the NHL actually done anything to bring fans back?

bring fans back? the fans came back without any prompting.

no predictions. it's the first NHL game in a long time and first meaningful game for many of the players.
just hope for the best and continued Canuck disarray.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
I expect a stronger game by Vancouver.

Keep in mind that whenever we play these goofs the refs always put us in the box constantly throughout the game.

Discipline will be key and our 5 on 5 play will need to be very good to force them into penalties and not us as their pp seems to shred us every year.

Edit: Why the heck did we even pick up Fistric if Potter of all people is getting a spot over him? Rediculous. We need the toughness in our lineup. Already concerned about where Ralph's head is at.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Sweet lawdy, an actual GDT. I'm almost too choked to type.

PLEASE come out strong and drub the Canucks. And no injuries.

5-3 Oil. Hemsky, RNH, Smyth, Petry, Yakupov.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I don't mind playing Potter, he has played in Europe this season and that is really valuable right now.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
i get the feeling people would be ok with an oiler loss so they can say "I told you so" about Kruger and Potter.
I don't feel the oilers and the NHL deserve my money, but the coach has my support. the puck hasn't dropped for the first game so I'm leaving my pitchfork in the barn.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Need a good breakout. Their D always pinch in aggressively.

I can see us getting a short handed break. Canucks are always using a drop pass heading into the zone.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Expecting a lot of power plays after what I saw yesterday. If the refs are going to call interference every time a player chips it by a defenseman and tries to go around him, Paajarvi should be in the lineup all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad