Aaron Volpatti - Manny Malhotra - Dale Weise

Jason Garrison - Alex Edler
Dan Hamhuis - Kevin Bieksa
Chris Tanev - Keith Ballard

Roberto Luongo
Cory Schneider
[/fieldset]

[fieldset=SOLI'S SHORTSIDE]

- Roster updates to come. For the good guys, we're waiting to hear if we get any alterations to the fourth line or Whitney's partner. For Vancouver, we wait to see who gets anointed starter. UPDATE: Oilers lineup remains unchanged. Luongo starts.

- Vancouver got lambasted yesterday in their season opener. Pouncing on them early, scoring first, and neutering crowd will be important.

- Nail Yakupov (#64), Justin Schultz (#19) & possibly Mark Fistric (#45) make their NHL/Oiler debuts tonight. Rookies around the league have been lighting lamps for their teams, heres hoping our duo continue the trend.

- In recent memory, the Oilers have been very successful in first games of the season. Barring the tragic Khabibulin play in 2009, we've been pretty good right out of the gate.

- My first impression after seeing Saturday's game is that the refs are handing out power plays like candy. The Oilers need to maintain discipline and draw penalties with their youth exuberance and get those PP units some action.
[/fieldset]

33ytijn.jpg

Last edited:

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Lets go Oilers. Anyone here going to the game? Got my tickets today! Only bad thing, the last couple years I've gone to(both for Edmonton/Columbus)a game, Canucks ended up winning. The times I didn't go, there were some Edmonton victories.

I will say 3-2 Oilers. After a beating, the Nucks will bounce back but I think we manage to pull it out.

Dubnyk plays well and the goals are by Eberle,Schultz, and Hartikainen. Yakupov adds an assist and has some great chances. Doesn't score but a sign of things to come.

*Luongo was rumoured to start against Edmonton but after Schneider got pulled, some expect AV to go back with Schneider.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just subscribed to NHL Game Center today. So ready and amped for the game!!!

Is it confirmed that Nail will be playing LW?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This could be a real statement game early on, if we jump on Van early and often there could be trouble in Vancouver. That said if the lineup remains the same as it's been speculated to be and the score is out of hand are we equipped to deal with the rough stuff?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looking forward to watching Yakupov, Schultz, and the rest of the young guys. Should be a good game.

Anyone else think the top six looks a bit soft and might have trouble with some bigger/stronger teams? I live in Edmonton and all my friends are Oilers fans. We were discussing this the other day and a couple of them agreed with me, the others called me a hater even though I don't mind the Oilers. What do you guys think?

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
This is gonna be tough. Canucks are going to be looking to bounce back and a 2-in-2 doesn't mean anything when it's the first 2 games of the year. A good start will be crucial.

My 1 year old gets to wear his little Oilers jersey for the first time! I am so excited!

Here's my impression of Mike Gillis handling his goalie situation:
poorjudgement_g1zr2uckeq.gif

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Looking forward to watching Yakupov, Schultz, and the rest of the young guys. Should be a good game.

Anyone else think the top six looks a bit soft and might have trouble with some bigger/stronger teams? I live in Edmonton and all my friends are Oilers fans. We were discussing this the other day and a couple of them agreed with me, the others called me a hater even though I don't mind the Oilers. What do you guys think?

As long as the Power play is dominant, they don't have to worry about getting pushed around. The pp is everything.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I hope we light these pukes up.

I know the potter inclusion isn't set in stone yet, but damn I wish Fistric was in the lineup for this one. I have zero faith in Potter and I'd love to see some hurtbag Nucks get crushed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

There is work that needs to be done there. If we could get a ROR type as our 2C it'd make us a much more balanced top 6. Hall is thickening up and getting stronger, Eberle is strong on his skates, RNH is getting stronger and plays the body, but until guys like Gagner can hold their ground we will have match-up nightmares against bigger/stronger teams.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I love that we traded a 3rd rounder for a player who's a healthy scratch on opening night. Way to get full value for those assets, Tambo!

Would you rather have Alex Plante as the 7th D if he were healthy? Teubert? Last I checked the coach decides the lineup not the GM, it's not Tambo's fault that Krueger is doing his best to dress a Nancy Boy lineup against Vancouver.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Can't believe its finally game-day. So excited. Won't be able to watch the game but hopefully won't see the score or anything and watch it on PVR later. Lets go Oil! A win would be huge!

sync

BECAUSE...REASONS!!!
Aug 1, 2007
posting in a GDT awwww yiss.

been way too long waiting for this!

BadMedicine*

The Nucks looked slow and discombobulated so they will bounce back with a better effort on Sunday,they will keep it simple and basic,probably dump it in a lot to relieve forechecking pressure to play it safe,it will be a good game to keep the wheels moving at high speed from the first shift to the last shift,we need to let teams know immediatly that we are throwing offense at them for 60 mins and the pain wont stop,we wont be adjusting anything at all for the entire game--offense till it chokes you.Offense till it is branded in the back of your mind and you think it will never go away.

We are certain to get a lot of possesions,so the question isnt wether they will be dumping it in because that habit is what lost them the playoffs when they were just turning it around last year so they wont stop now---its how many of those dump in possesions can we convert into oshots or even better shots and rebound control second shots??This will be our litmus test all year long,how many of our possesions can we turn into first and then "second"shots,possesion is our bread and butter so hard work is ahead.As long as our snipers understand they have an obligation to release the puck at the first reasonable opportunity as opposed to waiting for a play of the night moment we will do ok and will have plenty of rebound opportunitys that will fit into our zone entry speed on the rush--our shooters need to take terminal shots ASAP and count on their support coming in at high speed to collect rebounds on the fly,so fast and hard accurate shots on net are critical--that is if we play a fastbreak style.If we use a controlled transition style then we will see our second shot opportunitys more than double,we will see lots of give and gos and upspeed man plays,and we will have stationary players waiting for the rebounds as opposed to trying to catch them on the fly as they streak into the zone to catch the rebound from the fast shot.With the Controlled transition style we also see an equally fast shot upon o-zone entry ,we just have drasticly different support player positioning prior to the shot because everyone isnt coming in at high speed.

The big question is how many possesions can we convert into first and second shots on net,how fast can we keep the pace to wear them down and force mistakes,Are we going to burn a lot of our own fuel and use a fastbreak style with a lot more overall team skating or will we see a controlled 3 transition style that allows us to use our speed anerobicly and in a much more tactical manner.

If we play a fastbreak style and burn up all our possesions on one shot rushes the game will be very close maybe even overtime,if we use a controlled 3 transition style and dominate possesion minutes and shot totals I say 6-1 Edmonton.

From here on in its Ralph Krueger call,with mac-T on the sidelines we might even see both these styles utilised on a line by line basis.But the further we get away from the controlled 3 zone transition game the further we get from offensive domination which seems to be what the NHL has evolved into demanding of a Championship team,the league has decided to make NHL Hockey entertaining again and rough on the edge play will be called regularly as will obstruction on the trap style and diving,there is an evolution to a more entertaining brand of hockey happening and either you are on board or the train will leave without you.You better be fast,clean,stay on your feet and be exciting on special teams or you are doomed--the league is improving a light speed with this decision and teams will be forced to adjust their manpower needs and rosters to accomodate a much more fan friendly offensively catalysed brand of NHL hockey--the League and Players are working together to give the fans every cent worth of excitement and value they can offer,this evolution has been a long time coming.

Go Oilers,light em up!!Set the tone for the entire year and dont let up on the pedal for 60 mins no matter what the scoreboard says to your eyes,just keep your heads down and your arses up and work on your system play for 60 full minutes and trust the results will be there.Wether it is 1-1 or 6-1 in our favor at the start of the 3rd period we need to bring the exact same energy and system execution we brought in the first period and second period we need consistancy of system execution for a full 60 mins and nothing can sway that focus,the scoreboard is irrellevant because we have 60 mins of consistant work to provide,dont waste time looking up there ,keep your eyes on the prize and thats down on the ice surface.Be businesslike and file your conscience right beside golf course in your little black books because if you watch the scoreboard you open yourself up to taking your foot off the pedal out of mercy or misplaced professional respect.

Remember that teams all know we are coming with offense for 60 minutes so if we score 10 goals over 3 periods we will not be treated disrespectfully,tough but not visciously,no retaliation is allowed when an offensive team lights you up no matter what the numbers,its only if a hybrid or defensive team catches you on a bad day and hammers you mercilessly that you can get dirty and hurt guys for disrespecting you,the Refs will be discouraging retaliation on high powered offensive teams when the scores get high as they well should.So stay fast,focused and clean on your feet and dont give yourself time to worry about which way you turn you cheek just play your system for 60mins and do everything as fast and hard as you can within system parameters.

Last edited by a moderator:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Light em up boys!!!

I got Eberle, Yakupov, D. Sedin and J. Schultz in my hockey pool and am hoping to see some stats tomorrow night! Can't freakin wait!

Vancouver really tried to get into pond hockey mode VS the Ducks yesterday. Hopefully we get a 3 goal lead early so that we can enjoy a similar game.

I really hope that Corry Potter doesn't start the game. If Whitney is healthy then I honestly don't see a reason to have Potter in the line-up at all unless we've got an injury. Fistric should be playing with Whitney. We need more team grit and we need a guy who's going to keep the crease clear of Sedins.

On top of that, he can drop the gloves. Remember watching him taking dudes' heads off left right and center as a kid.

Win, lose or draw I'm hoping for some high scoring action. If the kids keep moving their legs they're destined to draw a ton of penalties this year.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Without Kesler and Booth the nucks 2nd line looks horrible, like worst in the league bad. Any way, they are injured, playing back to back, this is the kind of game we need to win... . make it so.
imgres

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
Finally! ! At first I was happy to see the Canucks played last night and thought it would be our advantage. ... then I saw they lost 7-3. It's going to be a though one but I'm confident in the boys! One more sleep.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Listen boys, the Oiler young guns are going to have a very difficult time playing against "the best Dcorps and best goalie tandem in the NHL".
:sarcasm: :naughty: :laugh: :naughty: :laugh: :naughty: :laugh: :naughty: :laugh: :sarcasm:

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
Light em up boys!!!

I got Eberle, Yakupov, D. Sedin and J. Schultz in my hockey pool and am hoping to see some stats tomorrow night! Can't freakin wait!

Vancouver really tried to get into pond hockey mode VS the Ducks yesterday. Hopefully we get a 3 goal lead early so that we can enjoy a similar game.

I really hope that Corry Potter doesn't start the game. If Whitney is healthy then I honestly don't see a reason to have Potter in the line-up at all unless we've got an injury. Fistric should be playing with Whitney. We need more team grit and we need a guy who's going to keep the crease clear of Sedins.

On top of that, he can drop the gloves. Remember watching him taking dudes' heads off left right and center as a kid.

Win, lose or draw I'm hoping for some high scoring action. If the kids keep moving their legs they're destined to draw a ton of penalties this year.

One of these are not like the others, and I don't mean a defenseman. Hope 3 of your picks light it up, and one of them are sucking wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad