GDT: I | "Ascension" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 1.20.13 | 7:00PM | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I assume the plan is to send wave after wave of speed and offense at the Nucks... who theoretically are in disarray and reeling after their underwhelming opener.

I don't know if it will play out quite that way though. That's the first time the Nucks have been lit up for 7 goals in over 2 years and you'd have to think they rebound strongly from that.

I agree... having some more toughness in the lineup would be useful against that squad who will likely want to make a statement against an upstart team like the Oilers after that performance versus the Ducks.

No Peckham, no Fistric, no Sutton, no Hordichuk. I know 2 of those are injured and can't be there anyway... but they basically only have Eager, Hartikainen and Smid with any real toughness to their games... and none bring any "crazy" which definitely could be needed in tonight's game. Well, Eager has some of that crazy X factor but it's been AWOL for a few years and what's left has been turned into a mediocre penalty taking shadow of that former player. Hopefully that will change this season.

NotoriousJatt

Oct 11, 2006
Vancouver
Ill be there! Upper bowl, Center ice. Ill be reppin my Nuge jersey! Go Oilers!!!

Lets go Oilers. Anyone here going to the game? Got my tickets today! Only bad thing, the last couple years I've gone to(both for Edmonton/Columbus)a game, Canucks ended up winning. The times I didn't go, there were some Edmonton victories.

I will say 3-2 Oilers. After a beating, the Nucks will bounce back but I think we manage to pull it out.

Dubnyk plays well and the goals are by Eberle,Schultz, and Hartikainen. Yakupov adds an assist and has some great chances. Doesn't score but a sign of things to come.

*Luongo was rumoured to start against Edmonton but after Schneider got pulled, some expect AV to go back with Schneider.

Ogopogo*

The Canucks - Sedins are past their prime and didn't play for the past three months. Kesler and Booth are out. Goaltending is a mess.

The Oilers - our best players have played all season and have played very well

Oil 5-2

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
After a long lockout it it time to get down to buisness...

DANIEL SEDIN I AM CRUSHING YOUR HEAD!

image.php

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Can't wait to finally watch Oilers hockey again. Two things that I'm most excited to see would be how J Schultz looks in his debut, and how the PP looks, as that first unit is the exact same unit that they rolled in OKC right, with Harski in front?

We all know how Canucks fans will verbally abuse Schultzy tonight, so here's to him shutting 'em up!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
One of these are not like the others, and I don't mean a defenseman. Hope 3 of your picks light it up, and one of them are sucking wind.

Yep. It was a live draft pool... so if Vancouver scores I'm hoping is has something to do with Daniel.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
. Well, Eager has some of that crazy X factor but it's been AWOL for a few years and what's left has been turned into a mediocre penalty taking shadow of that former player. Hopefully that will change this season.

I'm hoping it was just Renny holding him back. But with Fistric in the line-up that gives us five guys. I'm willing to give Petrel some credit.

I'd really like to see Edmonton killing a penalty with Petry in the box.

Horcoff-Hartikainen
Fistric Smid

Wonder if the opposition would even have the balls to enter our zone.

FireEverybody*

If there is justice in this world you guys will ROFLstomp them tonight like 6-1.

Good luck!

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
LETS GOOOOOO OIIILLLLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so pumped been waiting a long time for this day! Lets start are path to the post season!

TimeForAnOilChange

From OTTERS 2 OILERS
May 4, 2010
Made by MacTambLowe
If its true that the refs were already handing out penalties like candy, combined with the Cansucks' already in panic mode, i'm assuming they will be up to their usual BS antics of flopping and diving like beached whales all over the place in order to try to draw their usual BS calls that they get (cant believe that garbage still works for them, and its really the only reason they have had a good record the last few years if you ask me...they know its the only way they can beat teams is by getting calls).

Hope the bling mice will finally see through their bush league tactics and not give them every call, hopefully the refs will actually call a good game tonight, wish i wasnt on nights and could actually watch it. And hopefully the Oil plays Fistric tonight, i dont get trading for him and not playing him, especially against a division rival and especially since we need more sandpaper in the lineup.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
2 things:

1. Excellent title for the GDT Soli. Should be the theme for the season.

2. Some of you guys are giving a beat up Nucks team way too much credit. Last night they looked like a team with key injuries that only had 4 players play during the lockout. Toss in the back to back factor and the likelihood of the game day media circus asking everyone if there is a goalie controversy and I expect a tired and rattled team that we will feast on. ANH went 3 for 3 on the PP, and I expect a tired team to take a lot more obstruction penalties. I guess we go 3 for 6 on the PP today.

Prediction - 6-3 Oil. Ebs with 2, Schultz 1, Hall 1, Yak 1, Horc 1

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
There is work that needs to be done there. If we could get a ROR type as our 2C it'd make us a much more balanced top 6. Hall is thickening up and getting stronger, Eberle is strong on his skates, RNH is getting stronger and plays the body, but until guys like Gagner can hold their ground we will have match-up nightmares against bigger/stronger teams.

Not trying to be negative here but when I saw that Calgary has Glencross penciled in as their 1st or 2nd LW it got me thinking that's exactly who the Oilers should have had in that spot. Flip Yak back to the right side and trade Hemsky to fill another hole. Again, not trying to fight an old battle here but I bet that alone would be enough to silence a lot of the critics regarding the lack of sandpaper in the top 6.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
It's finally game day. I'm pumped.

This is really a tough first matchup I think the oilers win but the Canucks will definitely be hungry for W after losing like that yesterday should be a good game.

Sethis

May 9, 2004
Words can't describe how happy I am to see the boys get on the ice again. Win, lose, or draw, we're back to Oiler hockey and I'll just be happy to witness it.

I haven't had this level of excitement and hope for any of our teams since the Douggie, Billy, Ryan, Jason, and Janne days. I believe we finally begin the climb now. This is the season where everything turns around, where everything starts.

It would be beautiful, symbolic even, if we did it by driving these West Coast bouche daggers 10 feet into the dirt.

6-3 Oil.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
So is game center free this year or what? Has the NHL actually done anything to bring fans back?

Yeah. They've started giving out free tissues to all the fans who feel entitled to free stuff. Aside from that, they've just started playing hockey, which seems to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad