Post-Game Talk: I’d rather have gone to the dentist for a root canal

Which team do you dislike playing more?

• Total voters

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think that we played overly poorly outside of some absolute brain sharts in our own end, I just feel like they create match-up problems for us because of their size, speed and skill. Sometimes teams just have other teams numbers, hopefully IF we meet in the postseason that changes.
Are we going to get bigger, faster and more skilled before we meet them later?;)

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Are we going to get bigger, faster and more skilled before we meet them later?;)
There is no drug testing during the playoffs so they may as well grab some juice. It’s my theory on why Justin Williams becomes a monster in the playoffs. Important game and need that edge? Pop some anavar or winstrol, add in some adderall..

5 months a year there is absolutely no drug testing. From the beginning of the playoffs to the start of training camp. It’s an old article but I just checked the official NHL site and the policy hasn’t been updated since 05.

Also saw that players are constantly testing positive for cocaine but nothing is done about that.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
There is no drug testing during the playoffs so they may as well grab some juice. It’s my theory on why Justin Williams becomes a monster in the playoffs. Important game and need that edge? Pop some anavar or winstrol, add in some adderall..

5 months a year there is absolutely no drug testing. From the beginning of the playoffs to the start of training camp. It’s an old article but I just checked the official NHL site and the policy hasn’t been updated since 05.

Also saw that players are constantly testing positive for cocaine but nothing is done about that.
That’s good because Coke won us 5 Stanley cups 🤣

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
As soon as the schedule for next season comes out, I will cross out the games against Minny and do something else on those days. If we somehow face them in the playoffs, I will take a trip to Mexico so that I don't have to watch the sweep.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We could get a little bigger if we add Niemelainen on the blueline and Malone up front. Faster and more skilled would maybe be Broberg and Holloway. Overall we need to improve our team speed, size and compete level IMO.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
As soon as the schedule for next season comes out, I will cross out the games against Minny and do something else on those days. If we somehow face them in the playoffs, I will take a trip to Mexico so that I don't have to watch the sweep.

One of my power pack tickets was to that 7-3 stomping. Luckily I was able to get out of it due to the restrictions at the time. I’m with you, these games aren’t worth watching. Which is a shame

Reactions: McDrai

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
One of my power pack tickets was to that 7-3 stomping. Luckily I was able to get out of it due to the restrictions at the time. I’m with you, these games aren’t worth watching. Which is a shame

It's only worth watching if you bet big money against the Oilers...which I could never do lol

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It’s so weird because the Wild are no longer a trap team until they play is then all of a sudden it 2005 -2014 all over again

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We could get a little bigger if we add Niemelainen on the blueline and Malone up front. Faster and more skilled would maybe be Broberg and Holloway. Overall we need to improve our team speed, size and compete level IMO.
If we don’t bring Malone up and sit Kassian at the first game, I am dissatisfied

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
That’s good because Coke won us 5 Stanley cups 🤣
My high school buddy’s mom dated Fuhr in the 80s and said she broke up with him because of his “bad habits” but wouldn’t elaborate further, she seemed kind of sad :(

But why?! Her son that was my buddy wouldn’t exist if she stayed with him!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
I don't know if they'd a beat Miniota last night. It looked like they just threw in the towel.

1649893916144.png

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
My high school buddy’s mom dated Fuhr in the 80s and said she broke up with him because of his “bad habits” but wouldn’t elaborate further, she seemed kind of sad :(

Everyone except maybe Wayne was a huge coke head on those eighties teams. Fuhr especially used to say the puck looked like a beach ball most nights which made it easier to stop 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: ZJuice

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

So your saying he was a closet masturbator?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I don't know if they'd a beat Miniota last night. It looked like they just threw in the towel.

View attachment 530547
I think it was a combination of things last night. Almost every breakout pass was picked off to the point where guys were scared to attempt a breakout. Every bad bounce ended up on a wilds stick and it seemed like ever single mistake ended up in a goal. Didn’t help that when the game close the completely ignored an automatic puck over the glass penalty that could have changed the whole complexion of the game either. Not even 30 seconds Minny scored to go ahead 3-0. Not saying we have scored on the PP but now even an automatic penalty was not called at a critical point in the game.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Smith hasn't played at that level in the playoffs for years now. His playoff numbers in Edmonton to date are pedestrian.

You ain't going on a run for shit with a .912 save percentage. That's not good enough for a run.

The Oilers D is not as good as Montreal's either ... flat out. Kulak was a healthy scratch during their playoff run several times because they had 6 guys better than him.
Binningtons won a cup with .912 .912 .908 in 3 of his 4 playoff series.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Binningtons won a cup with .912 .912 .908 in 3 of his 4 playoff series.

Maybe that can work with the roster and D the Blues had, it just wouldn't for us. We need a goalie that can hold the fort in a big way because we don't have a guy who can control the game from the blue line like say Pronger did in 2006 or a Pietroangelo could a few years back.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
It’s so weird because the Wild are no longer a trap team until they play is then all of a sudden it 2005 -2014 all over again

Yeah, I don’t get it myself, either. They’re still defensively solid and play a pretty smothering system, but it’s not the same. Guess it’s a mental block at this point?

They need a sports psychologist or an exorcism. Either might work

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I remember Ethan Bear defending air on one of those goals. The whole team pissed their pants and Tippy couldn’t be bothered to use a timeout to settle the team.

Edit: speaking of Ethan Bear, they were talking about the Canes on NHL SiriusXM yesterday and named every single D except him. Literally did not come into the conversation as someone to look for in the playoffs.
As someone who has been highly critical of Bear, I think the Oilers D would be defensively tighter if Bear replaced Bouchard and was given easier minutes with Kulak, right now (hypothetically).

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
As someone who has been highly critical of Bear, I think the Oilers D would be defensively tighter if Bear replaced Bouchard and was given easier minutes with Kulak, right now (hypothetically).

Bear is better than Bouchard defensively, I don’t think that should be a debate. But Bouchard is much better offensively (also not a really a debate), and has much higher potential.

The problem is Bouchard should have been played more last season, he needs to be eased in more than he has.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not to mention Bouchard in a trial by fire because the dimwits refused to play him last year and give him some much needed experience. It's just hard to believe that THIS is the defense that they're going into playoff wars with.
This assumes that the player would have progressed well with more minutes and more games played last year. What if he had been given the minutes and proven himself incapable last year? Where would that leave us this year? What if the coach (who nobody likes but who does have decades of experience watching NHL practices) was right and the kid just wasn’t ready? Maybe the coach saw what he saw and just decided to kick the can down the road?

Bouchard keeps getting every benefit of the doubt from this fan base. He’s a stud. He’s a PP wizard. Club needs to dump Barrie and give all his minutes to Bouchard. The rose colored glasses have been deployed with abandon when it comes to Bouchard since the day he was drafted. Since day one (in the NHL) the only really good thing I’ve seen in this player’s toolkit is his big shot. He’s a defensive liability, and in some ways a bigger let down than Barrie because he has the body type to play a tougher physical game but he just refuses to do it. The other day I saw him cross check an attacking forward to the ice and I almost fell off my sofa. Had to rewind to make sure I’d seen what I thought I saw.

I’m not too down on the kid because I like players that play an offensive game. He could score a lot of points in this league. But for the sake of the team I hope someone teaches him the basics of defending against NHL level forwards. Cause he sure doesn’t get it yet. And it’s costing the club big time right now.

Reactions: Drivesaitl and TB12

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Bear is better than Bouchard defensively, I don’t think that should be a debate. But Bouchard is much better offensively (also not a really a debate), and has much higher potential.

The problem is Bouchard should have been played more last season, he needs to be eased in more than he has.
Yeah, it's kind of baffling that Bouchard didn't get more reps in last year, especially since everybody knew that the RD pipeline and RD market was sparse coming into this season

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad