Hypothetical trade with edm

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It works in a playoff series or two, not in an 82-game season.

there are about 20 goalies who are very close to each other. then 5 who are elite. still, those 20 goalies get played fairly close to what those 5 goalies do. and even then someone like price has clear edge on others.

medicore goalies have often been found cheap and they have turned into upper echelon goalies, or at least average ones. bishop, elliott, mason, bobrovsky etc. since 08, only kings have had an elite goalie in the net and even that guy isn't really elite, outside of one season.

Chicago has a stacked core and a team that plays two way hockey.

that's how every team should be built.

Lundqvist is my favorite goalie in the league, but the Rangers still win the President's trophy with Talbot playing the majority.

lundqvist played more games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
and its near impossible to find an Elite goalie (which Mraz has had flashes of)

It is not hard to find a good young center.. Any team that picks in the top 10 could pick any of the good young centers that are in the nhl right now

Except we don't ever pick in the top 10, which is the whole point of why this trade would benefit us.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
that's how every team should be built.

If you want to win a cup and then rebuild a few short years after because of the cap trouble sure

Id rather take a team like St Louis or (Detroit) being as good for as long as possible before you have to rebuild.

Except we don't ever pick in the top 10, which is the whole point of why this trade would benefit us.

You can trade for alot of good young centers in the league for a team that doesnt need a goalie.

If we trade Mrazek who will be the starter in a couple of years?

Coreau is the only one that comes to mind. But hes unproven

Unless you want to go out and Sign a hiller. which those FA goalies usually arent that good.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If you want to win a cup and then rebuild a few short years after because of the cap trouble sure

Id rather take a team like St Louis or (Detroit) being as good for as long as possible before you have to rebuild.

part of their cap troubles is that they are paying so much for an average goalie.

i take hawks over st louis or any other team that is close to the cup but never wins it every time.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

Hawks haven't missed the playoffs since their first cup win with Kane/Toews. Hawks have first world problems. They have too many good players. They retool and win another cup a couple years later. Sign me up for that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can trade for alot of good young centers in the league for a team that doesnt need a goalie.

No you can't. Teams don't just trade away young centers they drafted top 5. Those players come at a premium because they have loads of potential.

If we trade Mrazek who will be the starter in a couple of years?

Howard? I mean, he is signed until 2018.

Coreau is the only one that comes to mind. But hes unproven

Unless you want to go out and Sign a hiller. which those FA goalies usually arent that good.

They're not that hard to sign, or trade for. Ben Bishop came straight up for a 2nd. Dubnyk who went on to have a Vezina candidate-worthy season came straight up for a 3rd.

Center's are substantially more valuable than goaltenders. There's tons of evidence of this.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
No you can't. Teams don't just trade away young centers they drafted top 5. Those players come at a premium because they have loads of potential.

Howard? I mean, he is signed for like 5 more years.

They're not that hard to sign, or trade for. Ben Bishop came straight up for a 2nd. Dubnyk who went on to have a Vezina candidate-worthy season came straight up for a 3rd.

Center's are substantially more valuable than goaltenders. There's tons of evidence in this.

Howard? He hasnt been good enough to win a cup since 2013

Ben Bishop and Devan Dubnyk werent very good before they were traded. Thats why they were cheap.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Howard? He hasnt been good enough to win a cup since 2013

Ben Bishop and Devan Dubnyk werent very good before they were traded. Thats why they were cheap.

Our TEAM hasn't been good enough to win, it hasn't been Howard's fault. Just like Mrazek likely won't be the difference in this series vs Tampa.

And Bishop and Dubnyk are goalies on playoff teams. Dubnyk is the reason his team is in the play-offs. Are you seeing the theme here?

Hmm, Bishop and Dubnyk didn't look good on bad teams, but they look good now... Are you seeing a theme here? Maybe the team in front of the goalie, is more important than the goalie.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Every team should tank until they can get star players?

well for all i care, i hope only my team does it when they need it. it will be easier that way.

No no, they can win with Howard in net. Remember, centers are more important than elite goaltenders.

no, no, no. they can win with larkin as #1C. remember, unproven goalies are more important than elite centers.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Our team hasn't been good enough to win, it hasn't been Howard's fault. Just like Mrazek likely won't be the difference in this series vs Tampa.

And Bishop and Dubnyk are goalies on playoff teams. Dubnyk is the reason his team is in the play-offs.

when you allow soft goals (Boston last year) Yeah, It kind of is.

Ok, theyre good now so what? Does that mean we should trade Mrazek. Then spend a 2nd on some bad rookie goalie and hope he gets good?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
when you allow soft goals (Boston last year) Yeah, It kind of is.

Ok, theyre good now so what? Does that mean we should trade Mrazek. Then spend a 2nd on some bad rookie goalie and hope he gets good?

If they can get a blue-chip prospect like Leon Draisaitl? Yes

Should they kick Mrazek to the curb for no reason? Absolutely not.

You have to give to get, and it's not as hard to replace a goalie as many are making it out to be in this thread. Also having the best goalie doesn't mean squat if you don't have a good enough team in front of them.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If they can get a blue-chip prospect like Leon Draisaitl? Yes

Should they kick Mrazek to the curb for no reason? Absolutely not.

You have to give to get, and it's not as hard to replace a goalie as many are making it out to be in this thread. Also having the best goalie doesn't mean squat if you don't have a good enough team in front of them.

9 points doesnt look that good to me, Though i never watched him *shrug*

we have a Larkin. and Sheahan looks like hes going to be a capable #2

If larkin doesnt pan out then we trade for a center.. But why trade Mrazek a potential Top 4 dman in Ouellet *forgetting who else is in the trade mentioned in op*
if he does pan out? Youll look stupid.

I wouldnt trade Ouellet unless it was in a deal for a #2 #3 Dman because whos going to replace Kronner? DD? whos going to replace DDs spot?

He has played 123 NHL games, not counting playoffs. He isn't a prospect anymore.

Thats not even 2 full nhl seasons.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
9 points doesnt look that good to me, Though i never watched him *shrug*

we have a Larkin. and Sheahan looks like hes going to be a capable #2

If larkin doesnt pan out then we trade for a center.. But why trade Mrazek a potential Top 4 dman in Ouellet *forgetting who else is in the trade mentioned in op*
if he does pan out? Youll look stupid.

I wouldnt trade Ouellet unless it was in a deal for a #2 #3 Dman because whos going to replace Kronner? DD? whos going to replace DDs spot?

Why are you worrying who is going to replace DD's spot? He just turned 25. He's also not included in this trade.

You can never have too much center depth (one of a few reasons why this trade wouldn't happen). Draisaitl is also a big body guy with skill, which is something that we sorely lack. So even IF those guys all pan out you can just move one to wing. And Draisaitl has more potential than both of them, so you could run Draisaitl-Larkin-Sheahan down the middle and have a very big and talented center corps.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why are you worrying who is going to replace DD's spot? He just turned 25. He's also not included in this trade.

You can never have too much center depth (one of a few reasons why this trade wouldn't happen). Draisaitl is also a big body guy with skill, which is something that we sorely lack. So even IF those guys all pan out you can just move one to wing. And Draisaitl has more potential than both of them, so you could run Draisaitl-Larkin-Sheahan down the middle and have a very big and talented center corps.

Cause you gotta think of the futre until Detroit wins a playoff series, you could argue that 2013 was a miracle run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad