Post-Game Talk: Hustle and Bustle into 8th Place!, Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Jesus why? Is Ben Maxwell really going to bring more to the roster? It's not like we are going to be close to the cap. While I will agree that he is not bringing the offense that we wished he would, he has been a very good defensive forward at least, and he is only signed through 13-14. We are not going to be anywhere close to the cap, there is no reason to buy him out. You need to get this idea of people not producing offense = useless out of your head. There are many roles on a hockey team, and particularly for a team like WPG that is not close to the cap it don't matter how much a player is paid. We want a winning team.

Not to mention he led the Jets in ice time for a forward. Clearly Claude has confidence in him.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
I didn't get to see the whole game, but from what I saw Clitsome looked comfortable, and played well. I'd give him the Hainsey "not bad". Can someone throw up some stats?

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Wow, what a game! Noel really has this team clicking, love it. Pavs is doing what he should be doing, stopping pucks. Kane is a beast, our D is stepping up without Enstrom. Million dollar question, do you sit Burmi Saturday? Tough call IMO.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Wow, what a game! Noel really has this team clicking, love it. Pavs is doing what he should be doing, stopping pucks. Kane is a beast, our D is stepping up without Enstrom. Million dollar question, do you sit Burmi Saturday? Tough call IMO.

I say you put him in. I think he's got the picture, and quite frankly...he's too good to not be playing right now. These next two games are going to be tough ones.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Jesus why? Is Ben Maxwell really going to bring more to the roster? It's not like we are going to be close to the cap. While I will agree that he is not bringing the offense that we wished he would, he has been a very good defensive forward at least, and he is only signed through 13-14. We are not going to be anywhere close to the cap, there is no reason to buy him out. You need to get this idea of people not producing offense = useless out of your head. There are many roles on a hockey team, and particularly for a team like WPG that is not close to the cap it don't matter how much a player is paid. We want a winning team.

I couldn't agree with you more man. Olli may not be putting the points on the board that we want him too, but he is doing alot of stuff right. I think the lockout really ****ed him up, if anyone was going to play it should have been him.

If I was a betting man, is wager that old OJ will be here for a long time yet. I really think he loves it here and stuff. I'd be ok with that.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

$4.5 million for a defensive forward are you kidding me! Trouble is we may be stuck with him for another year, unless we pick up half his contract, no other team will touch him.

As far as defensive forwards go how many do you want on your team, we only have four forwards who can score or four top six, filling two more top six spots is top priority and the Jets sure as heck didn't plan on paying a guy Jokinens money for a bottom six guy which he really only is at this point in his career.

Ramsalot

Rergisterd Uhrser
Jan 17, 2013
Torpronto
Not sure what Tangradi brings to the team or Thorburn for that matter.

All I can figure is a warm body on the left wing. He's been invisible every game and I don't think he's even gotten 10 minutes of ice time once. But he's a left winger, all the forward healthy scratching gong on is guys who play on the right. Who's going to take Tangradi's place if he's scratched? And Little and I'm pretty sure Antro play on the right wing when they're not centering, too.

If you're going to give the fourth line less than four freaking minutes why not sit Tangradi and dress 7 Ds?

NHL Fanatik*

Hey there, Devils fan here. Thanks for beating the Rangers by the way, them losing is almost as important as my Devils winning. :handclap:

Didn't see a Trade thread, or maybe I missed it, but just a quick question:

No rumors or anything, but was just wondering if Wheeler is able to be traded, and if so, what would it take from NJ to do so? Just in a hypothetical sense, not saying either team should do it.

EDIT: Just want some Winnipeg fan's thoughts on it.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
$4.5 million for a defensive forward are you kidding me! Trouble is we may be stuck with him for another year, unless we pick up half his contract, no other team will touch him.

As far as defensive forwards go how many do you want on your team, we only have four forwards who can score or four top six, filling two more top six spots is top priority and the Jets sure as heck didn't plan on paying a guy Jokinens money for a bottom six guy which he really only is at this point in his career.

Why do you care how much money he makes? Jets aren't close to the cap so it's a non issue

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

You win championships based on defensive play. Playing defensively and making the smart play and sheltering your goalie is the number 1 priority for this team right now. That's what Olli is doing.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Why do you care how much money he makes? Jets aren't close to the cap so it's a non issue

Your right the money isn't an issue if the guy still had an ounce of offensive ability but watching what a pathetic forward he has become is sad. He is awful with the puck, never seems to shoot from a scoring position any more, rarely is around the net.

To have this guy playing with a blossoming star forward is just plain wrong, if Kane was playing with two bona-fide top six forwards he would be a top ten player in the NHL easily.

To even bring forth the argument that Chevy brought Jokinen in for anything but scoring is laughable.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
He was brought in for more than just scoring. To not be able to see that is what's laughable.

Kinjero

Aug 9, 2011
YSJ
Just listened to Torts PG presser. He was sooo calm and collected until right at the end, someone asked what he thought about the Tortorella chant.. You could hear the tone change, "the whaT??" and you know the face he probably had.. all squinty eyed and ready to stab someone.. Then the PR guy quickly said "next question" and that was the end of the interview. :laugh::laugh:

So about Anthro, I'm sold on him, I'd like to keep this guy around. What do we sign him for? And while we are at it, what do we sign Little for? :nod:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
To have this guy playing with a blossoming star forward is just plain wrong, if Kane was playing with two bona-fide top six forwards he would be a top ten player in the NHL easily.

To even bring forth the argument that Chevy brought Jokinen in for anything but scoring is laughable.

Getting rid of Olli doesn't magically get Kane better line mates...
He isn't what we thought we were getting BUT he still contributes. Like I pointed out dude logged 20 minutes of ice time in a big one goal game. You might not value there but I do.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
So you have your star forward paired with a defensive centre, yeah okay then.:shakehead

No.

I don't think he was brought in to be a defensive centre. He was brought in to be a defensively responsible veteran presence at centre to hold over until Scheifele can make the jump to the top 6. I'm sure you me and everyone else would love to see him score more, and he was brought in to play a top 6 role. However, what I'm getting at is scoring goals is not the only reason he was signed.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Getting rid of Olli doesn't magically get Kane better line mates...
He isn't what we thought we were getting BUT he still contributes. Like I pointed out dude logged 20 minutes of ice time in a big one goal game. You might not value there but I do.

Q:

With Slater and Burmi out why do you think Jokinen saw 20 minutes this game, and it's not for his offensive or defensive play? hint he tied Little in the % last night

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Your right the money isn't an issue if the guy still had an ounce of offensive ability but watching what a pathetic forward he has become is sad. He is awful with the puck, never seems to shoot from a scoring position any more, rarely is around the net.

The "blossoming star forward" was playing with bonafide top six forwards and they didn't click at all. That is why LLW is back together and there is no K in the line abbreviation.

Jokinen has no been awful for the Jets. People need to stop being hung up about players salaries unless the team is butting up against the cap.
This season the Jets seem to have a lot more desire to win. Players like Jokinen in the roster help build that mentality.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Q:

With Slater and Burmi out why do you think Jokinen saw 20 minutes this game, and it's not for his offensive or defensive play? hint he tied Little in the % last night

I don't get how that doesn't further my point.
He helped us win in a way other than scoring...

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

I see what your saying.............. I dont like him on the point on the power-play...... ( we miss enstrom on the PP)........ Olli cant hit the net.......

That being said .......at the start of free agency.......my wish list for the Jets were #1 Teemu Sellanne and #2 Olli J ........

When......... When...... (2013) ........ the jets make the playoffs Olli exp. leadership and skill will lead us past the first round.........you have to be patient cream rises to the top.......plant the seed .....the flower will grow.......

I like Olli........ I agree his first 27 games have been so-so.........but my pre-dick-tion is JET fans will be happy we signed him

I would not even b surprised if after next year we re -sign him to a 2 year 4 mill deal to Finnish (pun intended) his Nhl career....... as he has been nothing but a WPG and CND hockey city supporter since hes been here

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Olli didn't play in Europe during the lockout, and this is a new team and a new system for him. Slow start was no surprise to me. Still we're on the 8th seed with Jokinen not playing nearly as well as he did last year with Calgary. If he gets into groove, we might make some noise in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad