GDT: Hurricanes vs Washington: The Return of Birdman in Oviland

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Turbo was very ineffective last night playing with kuzy and necas. I can imagine anyone playing with those two would struggle. Neither play a structured game offensively. Hard to know where to be to be successful. Those two almost need a guy that just parks in front of the net. Noesen would be a poor choice skating wise but maybe he could just park in front of the net and pot ones in tight
Or they could just leave it like it was with Svech and Necas. They were on a roll, I don’t get changing it. Put TT on the fourth line and have him wait for someone to get hurt. Or put him with Staal.

And if TT is that crucial just put him with Aho and move Jarvis, because that’s the real conversation. TT is at his best with Aho, and he’s never really been that great anywhere else. If you think the chemistry the first line has is more important than putting TT in his best spot then bottom six it should be, because the top six was doing just fine as is the last few games.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Or they could just leave it like it was with Svech and Necas. They were on a roll, I don’t get changing it. Put TT on the fourth line and have him wait for someone to get hurt. Or put him with Staal.

And if TT is that crucial just put him with Aho and move Jarvis, because that’s the real conversation. TT is at his best with Aho, and he’s never really been that great anywhere else. If you think the chemistry the first line has is more important than putting TT in his best spot then bottom six it should be, because the top six was doing just fine as is the last few games.
Necas and Svech haven’t been very good this year 5v5. In 100 minutes TOI, its 4GF and 5GA and expected is 5.8 GF and 4.8 GA. The three together are worse, 1GF and 3GA. Expected stat aren’t much better. While both are really small sample sizes, I haven’t seen anything to suggest they have worked together this season. Even last season the working out was short lived.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Necas and Svech haven’t been very good this year 5v5. In 100 minutes TOI, its 4GF and 5GA and expected is 5.8 GF and 4.8 GA. The three together are worse, 1GF and 3GA. Expected stat aren’t much better. While both are really small sample sizes, I haven’t seen anything to suggest they have worked together this season. Even last season the working out was short lived.
You don’t think the Kuzy-Svech-Necas line has looked good enough the last few games? We won the games as well, usually you break things up when you lose. Point remains unless you want to drop Jarvis down the other five shouldn’t drop. Not to accommodate TT.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
You don’t think the Kuzy-Svech-Necas line has looked good enough the last few games? We won the games as well, usually you break things up when you lose. Point remains unless you want to drop Jarvis down the other five shouldn’t drop. Not to accommodate TT.
5v5 they did a lot dancing around but neither the actual nor expected are very good for the line

Reactions: Daeavorn

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Aho-JG-Jarvis are playing great together, a true first line that other teams need to scheme against.

I wouldn’t break them up to fit Svetch nor TT (I give him a pass for yesterday since he is coming back from injury).

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah…but does that actually mean anything? What does that stat tell you that they did wrong?

I think the line change was less about putting TT on that line and more about moving Svech off it.

Svech has not looked like himself for about a month now. He's clearly dealing with something. Moving him to the third line should give him easier assignments, and it should (theoretically) give the scoring touch that line lost when Jarvis went to line 1.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the line change was less about putting TT on that line and more about moving Svech off it.

Svech has not looked like himself for about a month now. He's clearly dealing with something. Moving him to the third line should give him easier assignments, and it should (theoretically) give the scoring touch that line lost when Jarvis went to line 1.
I agree about Svech struggling. I just don’t know the solution. Even if he’s just the third wheel to Necas and Kuzy you’d think enough pucks would fall to him he’d get one to go and get the confidence going. He’s not a third line player so I don’t know if putting him there is anything more than hiding him there.

When he was a teenager I very much wanted them to keep him on the LW because his skating wasn’t good enough for his one move at the NHL level. He was a RW who just drove on his backhand around the d and tried to get back to the net a la Cole. Now that he’s a man and a much better skater I’d put him back there and give him the green light to go make a mess. Drive all day. It’s his most basic instinct as a forward. It’s easy for the other two to read and play off it and it would get Svech much more involved. Wouldn’t matter if it worked, it would create chaos because he’s a load to handle. Kuzy and Necas can make the most of chaos.

You can say our system allows guys to go anywhere and that they tend to, I think reinforcing it by starting there every face off makes a huge difference in mentality. I think it would give him more chances to attack that RW lane for sure, and Necas loves to create down the LW anyways. Let them have their way and see if it pays off. Now’s the time to experiment.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Yeah…but does that actually mean anything? What does that stat tell you that they did wrong?
Means they aren’t generating shots that produce goals or expected goals. Corsi value is pretty empty then. Add in that line is worse at preventing teams from getting goal producing shots than producing them. Again super small sample but the numbers aren’t defending the line staying together

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

If anything, it's showing that Turbo might be the expendable one in free agency this summer. The rest of the team looked just fine without him playing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If anything, it's showing that Turbo might be the expendable one in free agency this summer. The rest of the team looked just fine without him playing.
There’s nothing might about it to me. He did his time with us and we needed his skill. We’re a deeper team now, with younger hungry players. If all we had to do to keep Jake was let TT go then he’s gone. It won’t be that simple of course, and by the time the summer is over we made need to keep TT because we’ve lost Jake and Necas. I’d still go in another direction at this point. I appreciate what he’s done but to me he’s an interchangeable piece.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
yeah he will sit for a game or two. I think he was “only” trying to trip him but thats a dangerous play

Yeah, it was a stupid decision that was likely born of frustration. Washington wasn't exactly subtle in their attempts to "accidentally" bump/push him last night.

Im not sure a suspension will matter much, since it's likely he wouldn't be playing next game anyway. Maybe it means we start Martin against Pittsburgh, but either way, no real harm done.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, it was a stupid decision that was likely born of frustration. Washington wasn't exactly subtle in their attempts to "accidentally" bump/push him last night.

Im not sure a suspension will matter much, since it's likely he wouldn't be playing next game anyway. Maybe it means we start Martin against Pittsburgh, but either way, no real harm done.
I’m sure PK would prefer not to lose $25k though.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Fine him $5k if necessary, but Carlson was skating up behind him and was going to intentionally bump him blindsided or fall over PKs leg anyway. The refs were letting tons of GI happen, hard to blame players for refs failing to keep things under control. It's like penalizing players for "reverse hits"...player A is allowed to fly in with no intent of playing the puck and slam player B along the boards, but player B is only allowed to brace not counter-hit

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Fine him $5k if necessary, but Carlson was skating up behind him and was going to intentionally bump him blindsided or fall over PKs leg anyway. The refs were letting tons of GI happen, hard to blame players for refs failing to keep things under control. It's like penalizing players for "reverse hits"...player A is allowed to slam player B along the boards, but player B is only allowed to brace not counter-hit
Thats not the same thing though. You cant be kicking people with skates on.

Last edited:

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
So we are at the stage where we're openly worried about Svech this year, right?
Yeah but I feel strangely assured he’ll show up in the playoffs.

This month is and always was going to be a brutal stretch. There’s not going to be much relief from the “5 games in 7 days” phenomenon, they’ve got 4 in 7 days starting tomorrow. Good opportunity to load manage, rest some guys, etc.
I’d love to see TDA start a game. I know it’s not the NBA with load management but what’s the harm?

Reactions: hockeynjune

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Thats not the same thing though. You cant be kicking people with skates on.
YOU CAN'T BE KICKING PEOPLE WITH SKATES ON.

Look, I love the kid's fire, but that is basic shit right there. You've got knives on your feet. Use them as weapons and people can literally die, like that kid in the EIHL earlier this year. There's no defending it and no excuse for it. Frankly, I think he'll be lucky not to get suspended.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

If that were true, we wouldn’t be moving him out of the top six. Svech is the entity that needs to get some scoring touch, not the third line.

Pretty soon, if things continue as they are going, we may have to have Svech yell at the start of the game “Mista MARTINOOOOOK!”

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Means they aren’t generating shots that produce goals or expected goals. Corsi value is pretty empty then. Add in that line is worse at preventing teams from getting goal producing shots than producing them. Again super small sample but the numbers aren’t defending the line staying together
They hold the puck, they create chances that may not get to the net, they’re scary and the other team has to defend. This has value. More value to me than what I saw last night with TT but maybe it improves with time.

Also, I haven’t noticed any poor defensive play when they’re out there. They’re all over rated as poor defensive players.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
They hold the puck, they create chances that may not get to the net, they’re scary and the other team has to defend. This has value. More value to me than what I saw last night with TT but maybe it improves with time.

Also, I haven’t noticed any poor defensive play when they’re out there. They’re all over rated as poor defensive players.
Stats don’t agree with either point and neither does my eye. They have allowed plenty of chances against as they dont back check regularly and their offense is on the outside. They have looked really dangerous dangling the puck 40 feet away. I chalk Kuzy’s laziness on defense due to lack of conditioning for niw but he looks like normal Kuzy to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad