GDT: Hurricanes vs Washington: The Return of Birdman in Oviland

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think this game might force me to create a new rule for watching hockey. Something like:

- Any game where both teams score 4+ goals (maybe I increase it to 5+) is officially "a stupid, stupid game" and is not indicative of either team's best play. Thus, nothing can be gleamed or analyzed from said game with any kind of merit.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Slashing sucks but lashing out with your skate isn't the ideal response. He wants to get up and go after guys like Marchand in that playoff game? Go for it. But what he did isn't the right response. I like his fire and emotion but that's not the way to handle things.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This was a scheduled loss but a very irritating scheduled loss. I expected sloppy play and dumb penalties. We are tired.

A lot of resolve in the group to handle the schedule issues, ref issues, and bounces issues. A normal luck game, we likely win this 5-3 or 5-4 in regulation.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think this game might force me to create a new rule for watching hockey. Something like:

- Any game where both teams score 4+ goals (maybe I increase it to 5+) is officially "a stupid, stupid game" and is not indicative of either team's best play. Thus, nothing can be gleamed or analyzed from said game with any kind of merit.
A rule I adopt: "it's an 82 game season so don't read too much into any single game, good or bad, but look at the larger body of work"

This game was an anomaly. Before last night's game, the Canes have given up 2.16 goals / game since that Dec 12th players only meeting. That's 43 games. The PK as performed at a 90.4% rate. They've had the best record in the NHL over that stretch. Their goaltending has been outstanding over that stretch.

They played 5 games in 7 days, with 4 of them on the road, while dealing with some injuries and this was the 2nd game of a B2B. Games like this happen during a long season, so I don't gleam or analyze too much from this game. The 05-06 team had a number of stinkers against Atlanta that season.

If games like this becomes a trend, then sure, there will be a reason for concern, but until then, take the point, throw the game film in the trash and move on.

stevewin

Oct 21, 2016
The only thing that really worries me about that game is how bad Svech is right now. Zero confidence, no speed and can’t shoot. There was really no reason to keep him out there for 3 minutes in OT. Long term he gets a pass because it is hard to come back from ACL surgery, but maybe relying on him right now is not the wisest strategy.
At least he's still consistent with the obligatory stupid stick penalty

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Also, did JG play in OT? I don't remember seeing him.

Yeah, he was out for at least one shift.
Per NHL.com, he had 2 shifts in OT for a total of 1:05 of ice time.

TOI in OT
Aho had 2:40
Necas had 2:19
Svech had 2:02
Staal had 1:11
Kuznetsov 0:25
Jarvis had 1 for 0:15

Burns had 1:39
Skjei had 1:11
Slavin had 1:09
Pesce had 1:04

Jarvis looks low but TOI in OT is difficult to really discern much out of 1 game. If a pair of players get stuck out there for a long shift due to losing possession, it could eat up 25% of a 5 min OT (or less than 5 min. once a team scores). If there's a stoppage, then the better face-off guys are going to come back out for the draw causing another forward to be shortchanged.

On the full season, here's the TOI/GP in OT.
Aho: 1:34
Necas: 1:23
Guentzel: 1:09
Svech: 1:01
Jarvis: 0:40
Staal: 0:34
TT: 0:27
Kuzy: 0:24

Slavin: 1:11
Pesce: 1:07
Skjei: 1:04
Burns: 0:55
TDA: 0:26
Orlov: 0:20

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
A rule I adopt: "it's an 82 game season so don't read too much into any single game, good or bad, but look at the larger body of work"

This game was an anomaly. Before last night's game, the Canes have given up 2.16 goals / game since that Dec 12th players only meeting. That's 43 games. The PK as performed at a 90.4% rate. They've had the best record in the NHL over that stretch. Their goaltending has been outstanding over that stretch.

They played 5 games in 7 days, with 4 of them on the road, while dealing with some injuries and this was the 2nd game of a B2B. Games like this happen during a long season, so I don't gleam or analyze too much from this game. The 05-06 team had a number of stinkers against Atlanta that season.

If games like this becomes a trend, then sure, there will be a reason for concern, but until then, take the point, throw the game film in the trash and move on.
You're not allowed to be reasonable; quit that!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
siegfried.jpg

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He did, but they were always the same move. Basically the same move Turbo uses.
Yes they both go to the backhand and try to roof it. TT comes left to right in a really straight forward way most guys don’t do anymore so it catches guys off balance sometimes when he’s accurate. Slavin would come in from the right to left then pull a sharp cut back to the right and roof it before the goalie recovers. They’re both lefties, and those are the two most common ways of going to the backhand so it’s fun to watch them.

Big takeaway would be that you need more than one move in the shootout. You really only need two though. If you develop them with the same approach, even when the goalie knows the two moves he won’t know which one is coming.

Kuzy has had such great success with the slow right to left I don’t know why he’s doing the left to right. Less shooting angle. What Kuzy usually does is exactly what Svech was doing forever, just much slower. Freeze the goalie while cutting across on the forehand and just putting it where he isn’t.

***last night the Caps made a brilliant call putting in a backwards goalie like that. Not only messes up the shooting angles they’re all used to from the game, but backwards goalies aren’t common. Most guys moves are based off left catching goalies, and it absolutely makes a difference even for NHL shooters.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Turbo was very ineffective last night playing with kuzy and necas. I can imagine anyone playing with those two would struggle. Neither play a structured game offensively. Hard to know where to be to be successful. Those two almost need a guy that just parks in front of the net. Noesen would be a poor choice skating wise but maybe he could just park in front of the net and pot ones in tight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad