GDT: Hurricanes vs Ottawa: The Return of the Trap Game

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Kuznetsov clearly seems like a guy who has a pretty defined on/off switch. Washington was struggling quite mightily until their recent youth infusion of Sandin/Miroshnishenko/McMichael/Lapierre/Protas, and I wonder if he was having an especially hard time with it. Carolina, being a far more solid contender these days, seems like the ideal environment for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sigh…. That garbage from Brady Tkachuk trying to run Necas down 5 goals with 40 sec to go needs to be a suspension even though he missed…. He should have gotten 2 for charging and 10 at least as there is no place for that…he came from a loooong way away and was blinders on going for that garbage…. They got all bent out of shape about the Reilly thing that got him suspended…. What Tkachuk was trying to do there was worse.. saw it coming from a mile away and he was trying to hurt, not make a normal hockey play…. Given we went easy on them with our PP lines and how we had backed off out of respect and not to keep piling on and then he pulls that…. Not captain behavior…. That’s why he has the rep he does….
I didn't see the play, but I'm confused by this in bold. If he missed, as you said, why would there be a suspension or a penalty for charging?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Was at the beach and didn’t really get to watch this but man I love seeing the new guys on the score sheet so much, along with 3 pts from Aho and 4 from Orlov. I feel very very good about this team and roster in the playoffs — still a lot of luck and need hot goaltending and special teams like every year but man what a great trade deadline so far. Hope we can keep both Kuz and Guentz past their current deals. They both really fit our needs so well and are clicking with this crew.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Pretty sure it was Faulk and wasn't that part of his famed "fat trick"

Nah, his Fat Trick was him scoring one goal that accomplished three food related promotions.

Any time Faulk scores, Triangle-area Moe's locations hand out a free side of queso the next day.

Papa John's offers half-priced pizzas (online only) on days after the Canes score at least three goals.

Bojangles' gives free Bo-Berry biscuits to customers who say "I'm a Caniac, and it's Bo Time!" the morning after the Canes score a power-play goal

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Nah, his Fat Trick was him scoring one goal that accomplished three food related promotions.

Any time Faulk scores, Triangle-area Moe's locations hand out a free side of queso the next day.

Papa John's offers half-priced pizzas (online only) on days after the Canes score at least three goals.

Bojangles' gives free Bo-Berry biscuits to customers who say "I'm a Caniac, and it's Bo Time!" the morning after the Canes score a power-play goal
Easy to understand the confusion, the Fat Trick happened about a month before his Hat Trick

Reactions: Stickpucker

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
I didn't see the play, but I'm confused by this in bold. If he missed, as you said, why would there be a suspension or a penalty for charging?
Deterrant, pattern of behavior, etc.. just my wishful thinking that if he saw some supplemental discipline it might get through the thick skull and change future behavior… fat chance… it won’t and ultimately, this is just me venting my frustration at the play…

He missed so it won’t turn into anything anyways…. For the league, it’s a big reach to invoke any disciplinary action without the bloody, unconscious body lying on the ice and so hurt they miss 2 months to justify the clear intent and give a 2 game suspension as equivalency :)..

I would argue given the timing of when this was happening and given the score and how our team was closing things out, that something should have been done about it as there was intent beyond just a simple easy body check and trying to strip the puck… even if Mcsorley had missed when he swung that two hander, he still should have been suspended for his intent to injure with a dangerous play… I’m thinking of this in the same kind of terms

Watch it back. He came more than halfway across the ice in a straight line choosing his angle at the start of his charge to catch Necas dead on in full stride to blow him up. He was skating as hard as he could , clearly going right at Necas…. He tried to lead with the elbow when Necas saw him coming, checked up, and tried to avoid…. Once the element of surprise was lost and Tkachuk had to shift angle and direction, the elbow came up…

I’m pretty sure it was a textbook case of a charging penalty even though he didn’t fully connect with contact…. given the time of the game and the score and how he acted, that’s a posterized example of what we don’t want in the game…. I’d ideally like to see the league treat this kind of thing more harshly so we don’t pointlessly see someone get hurt… and make no mistake, he was trying to hit to injure there… if you are unhappy losing the hockey game, play better…. Be a captain and hold your teammates accountable and get them to play better… don’t be the guy on the losing, non playoff team trying to injure a top player for one of the top playoff bound teams so close to the start of the playoffs…. I’m old school for a lot of things in the game. i think physical play has a real role in the game… but this isn’t that…. This shouldn’t be encouraged or accepted…

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
OEL and Kulikov? What in the fountain of youth is going on in Sunrise?

Playing against worse competition than the other two pairs in Florida (though Kulikov, in particular, has been underrated as a 3rd pair guy for the last few seasons). Orlov-Chatfield has some of that, but considering that every single pair on the Canes is in the top-10 in cF% and our 5-on-5 TOI has been unusually even amongst all pairings this year, the quality of competition splits likely aren't as great on our team as others in the league.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Since the All Star break, we have 3 of the top 6 defensive lines in the entire NHL. That's good, right?

It's not just since the All-Star Break. Think the entire season (minimum 500 minutes TOI):

Screenshot 2024-03-18 031123.png

I feel like this is basically what happens when a 3rd pair is too good to be a 3rd pair: it lessens the quality of competition for the top guys, too. I've already talked about the massive impact that it's had with TOI, but mix all of those together with the evened-out competition quality, and there's no wonder the CF% rates are through-the-roof with these defensive groups.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's not just since the All-Star Break. Think the entire season (minimum 500 minutes TOI):

View attachment 837727

I feel like this is basically what happens when a 3rd pair is too good to be a 3rd pair: it lessens the quality of competition for the top guys, too.
I've already talked about the massive impact that it's had with TOI, but mix all of those together with the evened-out competition quality, and there's no wonder the CF% rates are through-the-roof with these defensive groups.
Last season, Slavin -Burns were 1st with 62% and Skjei-Pesce were 3rd in the NHL with 59% for this metric even when the Canes didn’t have a great 3rd pairing. It’s partially an artifact of our system. We take a ton of shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad