GDT: Hurricanes vs Ottawa: The Return of the Trap Game

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Nah, his Fat Trick was him scoring one goal that accomplished three food related promotions.

Any time Faulk scores, Triangle-area Moe's locations hand out a free side of queso the next day.

Papa John's offers half-priced pizzas (online only) on days after the Canes score at least three goals.

Bojangles' gives free Bo-Berry biscuits to customers who say "I'm a Caniac, and it's Bo Time!" the morning after the Canes score a power-play goal
Got ya, I though one of the 3 was him getting a hat trick

Reactions: zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Do orlov chatfield get the easy 3rd pair matchups tho?
yes

Image 3-18-24 at 7.00 AM.jpeg

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ottawa defense is a lot like Columbus’. They have needed another shutdown guy or two for a while and their front office just gets more puck movers instead. Add in, as a group, the forwards aren’t great defensively either, also like Columbus’. Then you throw neither Korp nor Forsberg are top end goalies and you have a very volatile mix.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't know where you get these charts but can you compare it to other teams' 3rd pairs? Do they get tougher matchups than them?

It's here:

It's a relative (within the team) so it's hard to tell apples to apples from 1 team to another, although I'm sure that data exists somewhere or someone that is more versed in more advanced stats that me might be able to tell.

Here's FLA for example:

Image 3-18-24 at 8.39 AM.jpeg

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It's here:

It's a relative (within the team) so it's hard to tell apples to apples from 1 team to another, although I'm sure that data exists somewhere or someone that is more versed in more advanced stats that me might be able to tell.

Here's FLA for example:

View attachment 837754
This is more like what we'd expect to see: a sparingly used 3rd pair (small circle for low TOI) in very advantageous situations, but still struggling with those matchups.

The first thing that jumps out at me on Carolina's is that all 6 circles are roughly equal because the TOI is that balanced. As many have said before, they are doing a good job managing ice time for the top 4 so they are less gassed for the playoffs. But they also know Orlov and Chatfield are less of a disadvantage than other teams have on the third pairing.

I'm interested in seeing what the size legend is on Carolina's chart, but it's covered in the screenshot by the team dropdown. Tableau and its drop-downs.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This is more like what we'd expect to see: a sparingly used 3rd pair (small circle for low TOI) in very advantageous situations, but still struggling with those matchups.

The first thing that jumps out at me on Carolina's is that all 6 circles are roughly equal because the TOI is that balanced. As many have said before, they are doing a good job managing ice time for the top 4 so they are less gassed for the playoffs. But they also know Orlov and Chatfield are less of a disadvantage than other teams have on the third pairing.

I'm interested in seeing what the size legend is on Carolina's chart, but it's covered in the screenshot by the team dropdown. Tableau and its drop-downs.
Carolina and Florida on the same chart with the same scale. The circle sizes change because I assume it's relative to both teams (not just FLA itself)?

Image 3-18-24 at 9.00 AM.jpeg

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd also like to say for the record, that if I had to choose between a team that rocks defensively but scratches together 3-2 and 2-1 wins, versus a team that scores a lot but is a sieve, I'd much prefer the former. I think it bodes way better for the postseason to be a sandpaper team.

Or to put it bluntly, I'd rather be a New York Islanders than a New Jersey Devils.

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
I'd also like to say for the record, that if I had to choose between a team that rocks defensively but scratches together 3-2 and 2-1 wins, versus a team that scores a lot but is a sieve, I'd much prefer the former. I think it bodes way better for the postseason to be a sandpaper team.

Or to put it bluntly, I'd rather be a New York Islanders than a New Jersey Devils.
*Sad toronto noises*

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I'd rather be the team that can score 7 and only give up 2

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Only problem with those games is our offense is usually so dysfunctional that even 1 GA feels like a mountain to climb, but if we're in the lead it doesn't feel very safe at all. Last night was a prime example until the 3rd period, we couldn't hold a lead for more than a few min, thankfully we ran away with it after that. Sometimes a 1-0 game is really really good, like that FLA one a few weeks (month?) ago. Other times it's the most frustrating incompetent sloppy bullshit things to watch, and makes you want to punch every player that misses a gaping net because they can't score ONE F*CKING GOAL, like the Rags 1-0 loss. Granted, when you're scoring bunches but are a sieve defensively, yea that's also frustrating (at least if you're the team giving up the lead). Honestly not sure which is better/worse

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad