Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Awesome depth at RHD.

DZAm67KU0AAIf8R.jpg
Emmm, what the actual f***? Didn't realize that our RD depth is almost non existing, yikes

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Which is exactly why I'd be totally fine with Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, or Bodie Wilde as our 1st round pick.

On another, sort of related note...

It is easy to get enamored with or overly excited about prospects, however, this bodes pretty well for our depth. Mattheos and Geekie in their D+1 season (although, I believe Geekie was eligible in 2016) and Elynuik, a big power forward/Center prospect in his D+2 season, are really performing nicely. Sure, they're bigger and older...but they are progressing which is all you could ask for from later round picks.

Screen Shot 2018-03-24 at 7.24.04 AM.png

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Which is exactly why I'd be totally fine with Noah Dobson, Evan Bouchard, or Bodie Wilde as our 1st round pick.

Not sure the organization needs another first round D-man. All the players you mention could turn out great. However, with Stempniak leaving and Williams likely having only one more season, I think the biggest need is RW. There are several prospects who are right shots and might be solid depth NHLers, but no top level RWs. So I would prefer Kaut, Bokk, or even Serron Noel, though he seems to have the same boom/bust potential as Gauthier.

Also, given the depth of RHD in this draft, the Canes should be able to draft a prospect with upside in the 3rd or 4th--Emberson, Xavier Bouchard, Bernard-Docker, Axel Andersson. Or even steal a high-upside RHD in the 6th: say Simon Johansson who is an over-ager having a good statistical year.

I jut think the Canes are pretty much proof that defensemen aren't necessarily better when drafted in the first round.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
There are several prospects who are right shots and might be solid depth NHLers, but no top level RWs. So I would prefer Kaut, Bokk, or even Serron Noel, though he seems to have the same boom/bust potential as Gauthier.
In our system, on the right side we have Gauthier and Smallman as true right wingers. Both Zykov and Tochinsky have played on the right side too, although Zykov has had most of his success on the left side. We also now have Mattheos who can play in the middle and on the right side. Regardless, I'm not too worried about RW as that's a position that can be traded for or signed in FA.

I'd much rather select the best player available IF we don't trade down. I like the 3 guys you named a lot and wouldn't be opposed to trading down and snagging one of them. I'd also try my utmost to trade up and see if we could get Wahlstrom (who plays both C and RW). That said, there're also a few interesting RWs that will be available in the 2nd round....guys like Nando Eggenberger, Dmitri Zavgorodny, Jesse Ylonen, or Niklas Nordgren.

I'd always prefer to go BHP unless we have a specific and glaring issue (like when we drafted Fleury).

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I'd also try my utmost to trade up and see if we could get Wahlstrom (who plays both C and RW).

Totally agree about Wahlstrom. I would even consider him if Carolina gets 3rd out of the lottery--I think he and Zadina will be close over their first 3-4 years. Though Zadina with Necas would be hard to pass up.

I think Ylonen would be a great 2nd rounder--actually think going RW in both 1st and 2nd makes sense. Then, as I stated, my preference would be to get a RHD in 3rd. But again, if Carolina gets Wahlstrom, I would consider the draft a success regardless.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Wallmark with a 2 point game tonight. He's playing at a 1.23 pts per game pace in the AHL, which is the highest PPG in the AHL with over 30 games played.

Saarela seems to be finishing the season strong. Had 2 goals + 1 assist today. Starting to creep up on Foegele's production this year. The 2 goals today ties him for 10th in the AHL in scoring. Also to note Saarela is almost a year younger than Foegele.

Can't complain about having two first year AHL guys in Foegele & Saarela top 10 in goals scored in the AHL. Would like to see a game or two from them in a Canes uniform before season ends.

Pixie

Nov 24, 2017
Czech Republic
Any update with Necas overseas or have they been waiting on other teams to be finished to move on in the playoffs?
Brno will play with Plzeň in the semifinals. But another quarterfinal series are still running and will be decided in the seventh game. Pardubice and Třinec will play today, Liberec and Hradec Králové will play a seventh game tomorrow.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I wish the Canes had the ability to attract and sign high quality college FA, like BOS, Pitts and others get. We've has some good success with our college kids. Those teams aquire a lot of good players and don't have to worry about their drafting quite as much as we do, not having that secondary advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad