Hurricanes Offseason Thread Part II: Bring Back the Center Ice Flags!

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
With the cap issues the flyers are having, that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Just curious...would you guys make a deal involving Gleason and Meszarjos? Of course, Philly would have to sweeten the deal a bit, but...

Hainsey Faulk
Meszaros Sekera
Harrison Komisarek
Murphy

Or a package involving around Gleason and Coburn?

Coburn Faulk
Sekera Hainsey
Harrison Komisarek
Murphy

Would JR consider a Harrison for Meszarjos trade? Is Meszarjos' talent much higher than Harrison's, and if so, is it worth taking on the extra cap?

Gleason Faulk
Sekera Hainsey
Meszarjos Komisarek
Murphy

Is all this talk dumb, and we should just stick with what we have?

Gleason Faulk
Sekera Hainsey
Harrison Komisarek
Murphy

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I was thinking Gleason could be the one to go yesterday. If the flyers were just changing guys around instead of trying to move cap space. They would likely love Gleason. He would get a more limited role, and he could be a great "intangibles" guy for them. We would get meszaros, who is flat out a much better player but is unreliable with injuries maybe in their opinion. Makes less sense with coburn, who is likely to bounce back from last year but who knows. It's a thought. Probably more likely they want the cap space. Harry makes sense there, but we need Harry and his cheaper salary too.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I was thinking Gleason could be the one to go yesterday. If the flyers were just changing guys around instead of trying to move cap space. They would likely love Gleason. He would get a more limited role, and he could be a great "intangibles" guy for them. We would get meszaros, who is flat out a much better player but is unreliable with injuries maybe in their opinion. Makes less sense with coburn, who is likely to bounce back from last year but who knows. It's a thought. Probably more likely they want the cap space. Harry makes sense there, but we need Harry and his cheaper salary too.

Hard to disagree with any of this. Harrison would make a lot of sense for them.

Didn't they invite Hal Gill to camp? That's really interesting..

I just wonder what JR would do if they offered Meszarjos and a 2nd for Gleason... It would definitely be risky, considering Meszarjos' injuries..

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Is Meszaros really that much better than Gleason? I've always thought of them being roughly equals.

Yeah, I'm not sure. Meszarjos has a little offense to his game; he has more size. You also have to question if JR even has long term plans for Gleason on this team, or if he would prefer Gleason's contract off the books. Considering that, you have to remember Gleason has a NTC, so the team would have to be a place Gleason was willing to go. I'm betting he would go to Philly.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
But can we all agree that Gleason hasn't really been the Gleason we need..?

I mean, even JR kind of, slightly called him out on a radio show over the offseason.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I'm going to give them all a clean slate and not assume anything based on the past. it's a new season and it looks like they're all raring to go.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Hasn't Gleason been had a really good camp so far? I've heard multiple reports of him stepping up physically, which has always been my biggest gripe with his play.

I've wanted Gleason gone since 2011 but if he's actually using his body again then it's definitely in our best interest to keep him around.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
yeah I think Gleason knows he has to reclaim his game and should be well motivated. Meszaros, his cap hit and injury situation, I hope not. I think it would be a big mistake to drop Gleason for him. same goes for Harrison. he can play better and they won't replace him for his hit. he has his role. I really think that if any more moves are done it should be a good forward coming unless they can get a #1 or 2 defenseman from somewhere.

waivers may be interesting as well this year.

I would be surprised if they do anything else right now unless a big move presents itself.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
For me, when both are completely healthy and playing at the top of their game, Meszaros is a half step above Gleason. I think he's just capable of a little bit more. That said, of the two, at this point I would be slightly more likely to believe that Gleason could get back to his peak than Meszaros.

And to me, if we are in any way interested, it would be in order to get rid of one or two smaller useless contracts to clear up space for any forwards that might be impressing in camp. For instance if Philly is really jonesing to get rid of a guy they may not trust and may not fit with all the D they have, maybe the would trade for some lesser contracts they could easily bury like Westgarth and Welsh kind of guys. That would allow us to have Murphy in Charlotte to start and give us a lot of depth for if Meszaros or some of our other guys on D inevitably go down.

That said, even if he does sometime get Philly rumors correct, I don't really buy into this.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Healthy meszaros is a clear step up over Gleason IMO. If Gleason is the way he's been, its not even a conversation. Meszaros when heathy is a higher end top 4 guy. He's been playing that kind of role most of his career IMO. The flyers for sure thought he was going to be, injuries have pushed him down the chart.

Compared to Pitts - he's got better hockey sense, he's more aggressive with and without the puck, and he shoots more. Pitts skates better and can pace himself for huge minutes. Gleason can't skate, shoot, pass better than meszaros. He is likely a small step tougher, but meszaros makes up for it in better skating and therefore actually hits more people. He's a solid player. Healthy meszaros is the guy we hope sekera will be with added ice time, only meszaros is likely stronger. Is he a top pairing guy? No. Neither is sekera or Gleason though.

Too much is riding on his health. I'd be pumped to have the healthy version.

Last edited:

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Well, Morrow signed in St. Louis, and that's too bad; I think he would have added a lot. I do think we will sign Dvorak, which I like. Unless JR throws us a curve ball by making a trade, I think we are done. Therefore, I think we will be looking at this lineup for the season starter:

Tlusty E.Staal Semin
Skinner J.Staal Ruutu
Gerbe Nash Lindholm
Dwyer Welsh Dvorak

Gleason Faulk
Sekera Hainsey
Harrison Komisarek
Murphy

Ward
Khudobin

I think some nights, maybe even most, we will be going with 7 dmen, and I also think we are going to see them alternate Lindholm and Ruutu for the 2nd line RW spot.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ryan Jones has affectionately been given the nickname "Junkman" by many of his fans, partly due to his propensity for so-called "garbage goals" and partly because he shares the same last name as former MLB pitcher Randy "Junkman" Jones.

Something tells me he'd fit in here.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Perfect example of what I was talking about in the other thread where so many viable 3rd/4th line hybrids are passing through waivers right now that if we're serious about improving our forwards after missing out on Morrow we'd be wise to snag up one of them. No offense to Dvorak, but it would be nice to have a guy who could hang around more than a year and whose NHL history didn't come to a screeching halt mid-season potentially.

Meanwhile, Welsh is somewhere on the roster still. Inexplicably after producing some of the most unimpressive efforts of any prospect last season despite his advanced age.

CioCio

May 13, 2006
Greensboro, NC
Just signed up for NHL Gamecenter to watch via my Roku which I just bought last weekend; for kicks I looked through the Hurricanes "Classic Games' selection. It's a joke. :biglaugh: The only games listed for the 2006 Finals are ones in which we lost. The only games listed for the 2009 run are from the Pittsburgh series.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Try looking again. They have the entire Canes-Oilers and Canes-Sabres series from what I've seen, as well as the entire Canes-Devils and Canes-Bruins from 09 in the archive section.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Perfect example of what I was talking about in the other thread where so many viable 3rd/4th line hybrids are passing through waivers right now that if we're serious about improving our forwards after missing out on Morrow we'd be wise to snag up one of them. No offense to Dvorak, but it would be nice to have a guy who could hang around more than a year and whose NHL history didn't come to a screeching halt mid-season potentially.

Meanwhile, Welsh is somewhere on the roster still. Inexplicably after producing some of the most unimpressive efforts of any prospect last season despite his advanced age.

Welsh has been bad. But if you're going to have a 23rd player sitting in the pressbox, might as well be him from a money standpoint.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Just signed up for NHL Gamecenter to watch via my Roku which I just bought last weekend; for kicks I looked through the Hurricanes "Classic Games' selection. It's a joke. :biglaugh: The only games listed for the 2006 Finals are ones in which we lost. The only games listed for the 2009 run are from the Pittsburgh series.

In the 2006 final, I only get 2, 5, and 6, but plenty of other stuff from the 2006 run, 2002, and a bunch of old regular season stuff. And yeah, games 1 and 2 from that Pittsburgh series.

I think a lot of those games are added as classic games for other teams, and then get filed under the listings for both teams involved. I don't particularly care about Scott Steven's number retirement, but it's under the Canes tab because we were the opposition that night. Apparently.

I wonder if it's a consequence of somebody owning the rights and not wanting to share, or if the NHL just hasn't curated the selection appropriately. If nothing else, every cup winning game they have a recording of should be on there.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Try looking again. They have the entire Canes-Oilers and Canes-Sabres series from what I've seen, as well as the entire Canes-Devils and Canes-Bruins from 09 in the archive section.

Where are you seeing that? Would they have a different selection available on the roku app than on other devices?

Edit: Looks like they do. The roku app has only a tiny percentage of the games available on NHL.com. Very odd.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad