Hurricanes Offseason Thread Part II: Bring Back the Center Ice Flags!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The dog days have officially begun now that the rookie camp is over. Stop checking twitter all the time to see what's happened. Open the cave door and get some sun.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
The dog days have officially begun now that the rookie camp is over. Stop checking twitter all the time to see what's happened. Open the cave door and get some sun.

Not until Hainsey and Morrow are signed.

Actually not even then.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Anybody see this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1473727

Phoenix w/9 D-men on one way contracts. Some interesting comments already.

Skinner for Yandle, sign Morrow to 2m. Use Bowman / who ever to roll in the top 6.

Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)
Brenden Morrow ($2.000m) / Elias Lindholm ($1.775m) / Aaron Palushaj ($0.600m)
Brett Sutter ($0.600m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Justin Faulk ($0.900m)
Tim Gleason ($4.000m) / Mike Komisarek ($0.700m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,375,000; BONUSES: $860,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,785,000

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I like Yandle as a player, but as I've said before, I'm not sure he really solves our issues on defense, without creating a bigger problem at forward. The only real way it makes sense would be to move Gleason for a decent forward, and I'm not sure that could happen, especially with JR's inability to "move out a contract."

Pitkanen-Faulk
Yandle-Sekera (Not sure which sides they prefer or can actually play)
Harrison-Komisarek
Murphy-Bellemore

If we could add a cheap vet like Hainsey (even at the expense of Harrison), that'd actually be a solid, albeit soft, group. But this is all contingent on moving out Gleason, possibly Harrison, and their $5.5m contracts for a decent forward.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I still think we're trying to move out Harrison to sign Hainsey. Or at least that's what I'd try to do if I was JR.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yandle is a very nice replacement for Pitts, but that's it. I don't think he's a true number one, but he can play the role of top offensive guy very well. When compared to Pitts, he would likely be a better all around fit. Is it worth it to move skinner for a number one offensive guy who doesn't really improve the defensive side of the puck? I'm not sold, but he's one of the few guys where you can at least make an argument as a maybe. He's durable and talented.

Pitts probably won't be here past next year, and we will need a replacement.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yandle is a very nice replacement for Pitts, but that's it. I don't think he's a true number one, but he can play the role of top offensive guy very well. When compared to Pitts, he would likely be a better all around fit. Is it worth it to move skinner for a number one offensive guy who doesn't really improve the defensive side of the puck? I'm not sold, but he's one of the few guys where you can at least make an argument as a maybe. He's durable and talented.

Pitts probably won't be here past next year, and we will need a replacement.

Agreed that he is more of a Joni replacement, I think I've mentioned something to that effect before, but we can probably absorb the loss of Gleason a bit easier and Pitkanen's minute eating won't force Yandle into a top-pairing situation. We're also already lacking actually-skilled, offensive defensemen, and dealing Pitkanen just makes it worse. Not that I think his offensive game won't develop, but I also don't want to put too much pressure on Faulk to produce a ton of points just yet. And obviously moving Gleason has its own set of concerns, but given Joni's health, I'm not sure he'd bring back quite the same return (right now, though this could change at the deadline), and has shown a willingness to take a "home-town discount."

This is of course all contingent on PHX actually accepting a deal based around Skinner for Yandle, and assuming we could move one of those defensemen for a forward.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
XM radio's NHL Radio's Boomer Gordon (by far my favorite personality on there) has been doing his GM report report cards this week. Anyone else listen to his review of JR?

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
What'd he have to say?

Gave him a D. Agree or disagree it was interesting to hear an independent opinion.

He started by saying he is a big Rutherford fan, but honestly has no clue what JR is trying to do. His reasons for the grade from what I can remember:

- because he values the draft so little and because of it we have terrible depth. (Freely gives away valuable draft picks with no regard for system strength)

- because he thinks the Semin contract will blow up in our faces. (Semin will revert back to lazy Alex with no motivation in front of him)

- because we have terrible defense every year and he does very little to fix it.

One positive was we have the best top-6 in the NHL. But we won't win many games because of it with such bad defense and poor depth.

Gave Feaster a D minus, so it could be worse.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Gave him a D. Agree or disagree it was interesting to hear an independent opinion.

He started by saying he is a big Rutherford fan, but honestly has no clue what JR is trying to do. His reasons for the grade from what I can remember:

- because he values the draft so little and because of it we have terrible depth. (Freely gives away valuable draft picks with no regard for system strength)

- because he thinks the Semin contract will blow up in our faces. (Semin will revert back to lazy Alex with no motivation in front of him)

- because we have terrible defense every year and he does very little to fix it.

One positive was we have the best top-6 in the NHL. But we won't win many games because of it with such bad defense and poor depth.

Gave Feaster a D minus, so it could be worse.

Not terribly original or insightful. A lot of posts on here have been complaining about all of those things for a number of years.

Well, maybe not the Semin contract, but we are a "what have you done for me lately" group and Semin's 44 games as a Cane have prompted many to point out how wrong all the pundits (and other fans) were about him. Hopefully he's found a home here and continues to perform like he did this season as he has the type of skill this team needs, but if not, he's right in that contract could blow up in the Canes face, especially since it was given after only 44 games.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, he did put up 15 points in 14 games after signing the contract. Even still, his line was noticeably less effective late in the season.

Which could easily (and more logically) be chalked up to the Ward injury or the simple fact that that line's pace at the beginning of the season was unsustainable before the "lazy, slacker Semin" should come into play.

2 12 oz Drinks

Or Less
Nov 1, 2011
United States
Well, he did put up 15 points in 14 games after signing the contract. Even still, his line was noticeably less effective late in the season.

Which could easily (and more logically) be chalked up to the Ward injury or the simple fact that that line's pace at the beginning of the season was unsustainable before the "lazy, slacker Semin" should come into play.

I could be wrong, but didn't we find out that he was playing injured toward the end?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I think he's found a home and motivation hear. He was horribly misused by the Caps. He looked motivated throughout the season and had not only a lot of points, but some quite timely ones as well.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
ah **** it. Baa, baaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaaaa. it will never go away, ever, EVER !!!!! :deadhorse (i wish this was a sheep instead of a horse). just ******* ridiculous :shakehead:shakehead: $7million scapegoat just waiting to happen. perfect and well worth it really. but don't worry. he doesn't have any nmc. the pain will only be short lasting when it all inevitably blows up in their face and he reverts back to the "REAL ALEXANDER SEMIN". no worries at all. couldn't be better for the team in fact. a well established and built in excuse for anything less than perfection. perfect plan.

this guy, this Boomer Gordon, is a total ******* if he gives jr a D for what he has been trying to do over the last two years in a cap world, in a small market. and jr is apparently still working on more, hopefully some forward depth and another d. he has done quite well imo and by all accounts is on the right track. but throw in the Semin bs as usual. just another media hack that somehow succeeds in spewing the garbage in order to have the flock regurgitate the perpetual and never ending semin myth and assassination for no rational reason at all. mindless sheep just can't ******* help it. and the flock WILL follow, guaranteed. BUT SOME REFUSE TO BLINDLY AND MINDLESSLY FALL FOR IT. shameful, shameful stuff directed at a player, a person who does in no way deserve any of it......................... IN MY OPINION. (anti-cap) ignore if you will. ccl....

just bring back the center ice flags already. they are a nice part of their identity imo.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
ah **** it. Baa, baaaaa, baaaaaa, baaaaaa. it will never go away, ever, EVER !!!!! :deadhorse (i wish this was a sheep instead of a horse). just ******* ridiculous :shakehead:shakehead:

I can't tell, with regards to beating a dead horse, are you referring to people's assessment of the Semin signing or are you referring to your own posts in defense of it?

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I can't tell, with regards to beating a dead horse, are you referring to people's assessment of the Semin signing or are you referring to your own posts in defense of it?

are you interested in having a conversation like you once alluded to, OR, are you content with being sarcastic? i fully understand that we may disagree on most, if not many things. that's fine by me and can still lead to good discussion. however, if you continue to follow the same trend of being sarcastic and degrading while portraying some kind of superiority allusion, i see no possibility of honest, constructive, intelligent and friendly discourse. you know what i'm saying. the choice is yours. i'm not interested in a pissing match with anyone but to post a view contrary to the status quo seems to be met with belittlement that i don't have time for. again, the choice is yours. what say you?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad