Hurricanes Off Season Thread: When Tlusty doesn't score 40, who will be to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Qualified:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
GM Jim Rutherford said Canes will make qualifying offers to RFAs Nash, Dalpe, Boychuk, Jordan and Jared Staal.

Not qualified:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
No qualifying offers to Jenks, Nodl, Krueger, Pither, Sova and Muse.

Pither is somewhat of a surprise. Didn't he play fairly well?

Didn't we inexplicably trade away promising 2nd round pick Mark Alt for Pither?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
wow, total WTF on Pither, he was lighting it up in Charlotte for a while.

none of the others surprise me in the least. Krueger and Nodl were likely to get more money in Europe, and none of the other 3 were worth a damn IMO. Muse was depth at a thin position but very easily replaceable.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah Muse definitely seems like a one hit wonder when it's all said and done. Oh well, was worth the shot.

Nashville puts Hall Gill on waivers. He makes 2M next year and is then a UFA. Could be a decent/free option. Jonathan Blum is also on the block and will be unqualified if they can't find takers, but I don't know that he's any better than McBain whom they just got rid of. Same story with Matt Halischuk who at least has a 15 goal season on an offensively deficient team to his credit.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Pither started out hot but cooled off majorly. 1 goal and 7 points in his last 16 games. And considering that he only played 23 games total, he was basically nonexistent offensively most of the time--and he's not a defensive guy either. I guess they don't want to waste a contract on a guy based on 7 good games. It's not like he has a track record at the AHL level.

As for the trade, I thought it was more to dump Boucher's salary and Pither was just a throw-in.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The Boucher/Pither deal was definitely a "toe stub" by JR. Another example of assets getting potentially misused.

Interesting stuff on Hockey's Future found here:

In the end it too questions our asset management, questioning the Sekera trade as well as the overall lack of draft picks for the last decade.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
soon as I saw any suggestion of Nurse or Ristolainen over Lindholm the articles credibility went completely out the window. We made the right call. The only dman worth selection with our pick was Jones, and he went #4. That high in the draft BPA should always rule the day.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
soon as I saw any suggestion of Nurse or Ristolainen over Lindholm the articles credibility went completely out the window. We made the right call. The only dman worth selection with our pick was Jones, and he went #4. That high in the draft BPA should always rule the day.

Yeah, that thing was complete drivel. Our pick was one of Catfish Lindholm, Nich, or Sean "The Answer" Monahan. Anything else would have been quite a reach.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, that thing was complete drivel. Our pick was one of Catfish Lindholm, Nich, or Sean "The Answer" Monahan. Anything else would have been quite a reach.

My key take away from the article is that we only ended up with 4 picks in a deep draft. The Nurse/Ristolainen turd wash was goofiness.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

He then called the Sekera trade a "lateral hockey move for the blueline". It better ****ing not be.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Hal Gill placed on waivers.

What are the chances we pick him up? 1 more year at 2 million. 38 years old, but he's that crease clearing player we apparently "need".

Bring him over and keep Murphy in the minors for a year. Call it a day.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He then called the Sekera trade a "lateral hockey move for the blueline". It better ****ing not be.

It not a lateral move, at all. In terms of upside it might be but McBain has yet to show he can put it together and has come in to every pro season in (relative) poor shape where it took him a while to get things going if he did at all. This season he couldn't because of its short nature and the limited number of practices. Natural talent can only get a player so far.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
wow, possibly could be. that or poille's pimphand is strong much like the JR pimphand. I'd take that risk though, could be a nice cheap UFA pickup replacement for McBain/Sangs.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It not a lateral move, at all. In terms of upside it might be but McBain has yet to show he can put it together and has come in to every pro season in (relative) poor shape where it took him a while to get things going if he did at all. This season he couldn't because of its short nature and the limited number of practices. Natural talent can only get a player so far.

That's the impression I got from about 95% of the people on here, the Buffalo board and in the media. So it really just tells me that this guy doesn't know ****.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
the sekera trade was a good one i think. it is an improvement and even if it's a small one it's a cheap one. the issue for me is that i fear jr figures "that's good enough". he said as much when he said there is no longer an urgency to fix up the defense. there is always an urgency to improve. this team now is not much different than last year. a couple of injuries and same old.

they absolutely have to address goaltending.

skinner and some prospects are really going to have to come out flying. also, we assume that e.staal, tlusty and semin are all going to pick up where they left off. i hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad