OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXI: Cinco de Mayo edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
And just think, a season later both were just 1 win away from playing each other in the Super Bowl.
Ha... I mentioned this to him on Facebook. I can't believe this almost happened (before my time, sadly... I was eight and too young to really care about football).

:laugh: you are a really good poster (and I mean that). Probably the funniest on this board.
Agreed... except for that one blemish which is hard to overlook. ;)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
^ I wonder if we had lost that game and picked fourth, if Toronto fans would hate us for picking Hanifin and making them take Marner, even though that is who they took anyway :laugh:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
LOL, nice try SG. No, it doesn't fit the definition and you are just plain wrong. As I said, trying to be way too politically correct.

Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex/gender. See the key words there? Discrimination and prejudice? There's none of that what so ever. If you are saying that heterosexual males can't appreciate a female and (or visa versa) without being sexist then virtually every person in the world is sexist.

Saying that Cheerleaders are attractive (the talent comment), when they willingly apply for the job of being a cheerleader and willingly wear the uniforms is not sexism. My wife is hot and looks great in a bikini and I appreciate that and tell her so regularly and guess what, it's not sexist at all. Now, if I told her that because she was a woman, she had to do all the cooking and all the cleaning in the house, THAT would be sexist (and I'd have a black eye).

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/28/the_raiders_unbelievably_sexist_cheerleader_handbook/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/25/sport/nfl-cheerleaders-minnesota-vikings-mvc/
But a harsher view of the cheerleading industry is that women dancing on the fringes of competitive sport is an echo from an age of sexism and misogyny.

"When the whole essence of your job is basically hanging out in a tiny bikini and a bandeau top, it kind of undercuts the rest of your argument that you are a well-rounded person," said Gerstner, who is also professor of media & sports at the University of Michigan.

A video released by the Miami Dolphins cheerleading squad showing women in bikinis dancing to Robin Thicke's blurred lines with the team's mascot "TD" arguably supports Gerstner's view.

"It's almost like in Paris, having the dancing girls doing the cancan while the guillotine is going down," added Gerstner, who views cheerleading as accessorizing women.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...tional-sexism-of-nhl-ice-girls-184301561.html

Casual sexism, on the other hand, remains a constant hum that teams not only tolerate, but generate.

Arena organists play “Big Girls Don’t Cry†to taunt opposing players headed to the penalty box. Mike Milbury refers to Daniel and Henrik Sedin as “Thelma and Louise.†Chris Neil calls out Johan Franzen by suggesting Franzen “drop his purse [and] take his lipstick out.†And in about half of NHL arenas, the ice is shoveled by women in various states of undress.

For the most part, these women are more than capable of doing the job. They’re seasoned skaters who clear the ice quickly, efficiently and without interfering with the game. And they show leg, midriff and cleavage for some reason.

Some teams have fully-clothed people (sometimes men and women, sometimes just men) clearing the ice. No teams have half-dressed men shoveling the ice, nor would anyone expect them to. Why should they? There are plenty of places for gay men and straight women to go for that kind of thing, and a hockey game just isn’t one of those places.

But it is a place to go if you want to see scantily-clad women, because EVERYWHERE is a place to go if you want to see scantily-clad women. It’s so pervasive that the people it appeals to can no longer recognize when it’s inappropriate, or even just out of place.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2014/3/17/5518772/women-sexism-nhl-ice-girls

There are more professional on-ice opportunities for women who shovel ice in skin-tight, midriff-baring outfits than there are for women like Marie-Philip Poulin or Amanda Kessel.

On the ice, off the ice, in the broadcast booth, on television, in the front office, and in the game of hockey, women are not valued equally. And so, when you’re telling women on the one hand that they have no real place in the game except to look good, and then on the other hand you are asking women to spend money on your product by reinforcing that idea, how can you expect to grow the game among women?

In the short term, it’s pretty easy. Market the sport for its own sake. To everybody.

It’s a step backwards, and it again reinforces the idea that the NHL says it’s for everyone, but it’s not really for women – or at least, it’s not for women who are in it for the hockey. Ice girls look a lot like professional puck bunnies, and their presence undercuts the notion that teams value female fans as highly as male fans. [...] These things might sell, but they're also degrading – not necessarily to the women involved, who are actively choosing to fill this role in return for a paycheck, but to the ones who are supposed to grin and bear the fact that this is how their favorite NHL team views women.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
^So other people don't know what the word sexism means too? Congratulations :sarcasm:

Actual content there makes plenty of sense. Cheerleaders at hockey games is the dumbest thing since the glow puck.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
LOL SG, as I said, way over the top political correctness. Those are just other peoples opinions and they are morphing the definition of sexism to meet their own agenda the same way you are.

The LEGAL definition of sexism requires unequal treatment, bias (ie..discrimination and prejudice). No matter how much you or others want to twist that for your own agendas, you really can't as there are laws/legal precedent.

As a sanity check, I asked 3 women last night (my wife and 2 neighbors) if they would consider cheerleading and admiring cheerleaders as sexist. They all laughed. Now, if a very qualified woman applied for a sales job with the Hurricanes and they tell her she can only apply for the Storm Squad, THAT would be sexist.

Trust me. I have a lot of experience in this as I spent years recruiting for a large company and we spent gobs of time on this (training, seminars, real life examples, etc...).

Re: Joe's comment. I do agree cheerleaders at a hockey game is dumb and an unneeded distraction, but so is Ron the Ref, Big Mike, and Stormy. I could take it or leave it.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
LOL SG, as I said, way over the top political correctness. Those are just other peoples opinions and they are morphing the definition of sexism to meet their own agenda the same way you are.

The LEGAL definition of sexism requires unequal treatment, bias (ie..discrimination and prejudice). No matter how much you or others want to twist that for your own agendas, you really can't.

As a sanity check, I asked 3 women last night (my wife and 2 neighbors) if they would consider cheerleading and admiring cheerleaders as sexist. They all laughed. Now, if a very qualified woman applied for a sales job with the Hurricanes and they tell her she can only apply for the Storm Squad, THAT would be sexist.

Trust me. I have a lot of experience in this as I spent years recruiting for a large company and we spent gobs of time on this (training, seminars, real life examples, etc...).

Re: Joe's comment. I do agree cheerleaders at a hockey game is dumb and an unneeded distraction, but so is Ron the Ref, Big Mike, and Stormy. I could take it or leave it.

You could make the argument that existence of Big Mike and not Big Michelle in the storm squad is sexist.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
i think big mike is ideal for the job because he can blow that horn really loud which inspires people to cheer for their favorite ice hockey heroes

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You could make the argument that existence of Big Mike and not Big Michelle in the storm squad is sexist.

Yes, I agree with that. There could be an argument made for that although, it's a bit of a sticky wicket as fan interest comes into play. In real life, it's rarely as straightforward as the example I gave.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
There are cheerleading scholarships at lots of universities throughout the US. Stupid sexism giving young women educational opportunities.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
9y8UAXR.jpg

found hallejoekl

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
A couple buddies of mine from college used to go around yelling "Nice ass!" to passer-bys as they drove around campus. They yelled it at both men and women, so it wasn't sexist.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Most of the time they were passing by people too quickly to accurately judge the niceness of the respective ass. Going purely by the sample size though, I'm assuming some were nice and some were not.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
:popcorn:

The LEGAL definition of sexism requires unequal treatment, bias (ie..discrimination and prejudice). No matter how much you or others want to twist that for your own agendas, you really can't as there are laws/legal precedent.

:popcorn: #stormsquadforever :cry:

I love the Storm Squad!!! Redneck Hockey has those talented young people as one of its pillars.

#iamriteanduarewrong

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
when i go to the strippers, i always politely decline when girls ask me if i want a lap dance, because i tell them that if i said yes, it would make me a sexist, so i stick to throwing $1 coins at them instead, because i can win prizes (posters, lighters, fridge magnets, etc) and games can't be sexist.

again, i am rite in my analysis #analysis

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Something interesting going around twitter atm:

who would win this game?

I'll take the all 1990's team every day and twice on sunday, though the games would be amazing.

All 1990's Team:

PG: John Stockton
SG: Michael Jordan
SF: Charles Barkley
PF: Karl Malone
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

All 2000's Team:

PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: LeBron James
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Shaquille O'Neal