OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It lost power twice. The first time they were able to regain control and started to turn it hard into the gap. but before they could straighten it out it lost power again, and by the time they restored it, it was on a direct collision course with the pylon with not enough time to correct.
Somebody's insurance company is having a very, very bad day.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It lost power twice. The first time they were able to regain control and started to turn it hard into the gap. but before they could straighten it out it lost power again, and by the time they restored it, it was on a direct collision course with the pylon with not enough time to correct.
They did call a mayday which allowed the bridge operators to block traffic right before the collision. Also, I heard they dropped anchor in an attempt to slow the ship down and it is partly why it appears to veer into the support pilling.

Why they never added dolphins to the supports I have no idea.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Putin said Russia will not attack Baltics, Poles or Czech republic.

Been nice knowing you. Unless Poles unleash all that poorly repressed anger that was breeing for centuries.

Fingers crossed for more Russian soldiers dying while they’re still in Ukraine.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Nah, the way most of them operate they'll find a way to weasel out of paying a f***ing cent...they want to be paid for the illusion of protection, not to actually do it.
They can f*** with individuals like you or I, but they're not going to be able to f*** with global megacorps like Maersk that have their own private armies of very good lawyers. Somebody's paying out and handing a very large chunk of that money to the State of Maryland.

For context, the NHL's annual revenue these days is just short of $6 billion. Maersk's is just short of $60 billion.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
They can f*** with individuals like you or I, but they're not going to be able to f*** with global megacorps like Maersk that have their own private armies of very good lawyers. Somebody's paying out and handing a very large chunk of that money to the State of Maryland.

For context, the NHL's annual revenue these days is just short of $6 billion. Maersk's is just short of $60 billion.
Yeah, there are going to be several insurance carriers ( read legal teams) caught up in this one.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yeah, there are going to be several insurance carriers ( read legal teams) caught up in this one.
IDK about all that seems this ship is set up like a shell game. Registered in some country with very lax labor laws and safety requirements for the ship and crew, leased out through like 3 different companies before being subbed out to Maersk.

I'm sure someone will pay but it will probably be the group with the least responsibility for this accident.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
the weird thing is it didn't drift like sideswipe into the pylon, it hit head-on...which you would think they saw it aiming at not-the-gap for minutes maybe? I guess the bridge is long enough they couldn't have gotten someone out there to block traffic/shut it down?

EDIT: Just saw an update where the ship issued a "mayday" and they were able to stop traffic from getting on the bridge but obviously not vehicles that had already entered...talk about shit timing for those folks
Yeah wow the FBI sure came to the conclusion in record time that there was nothing nefarious in what happened. Perhaps they employed the crack squad of a dozen agents who were sent to sort out the Bubba Wallace garage pull down debacle a few years ago...

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Yeah wow the FBI sure came to the conclusion in record time that there was nothing nefarious in what happened. Perhaps they employed the crack squad of a dozen agents who were sent to sort out the Bubba Wallace garage pull down debacle a few years ago...
I believe I just saw that two minutes of recording on the black box is not available. I for one am shocked.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
They know it wasn't nefarious because they didn't allow it, so had to be an accident.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Does everything have to be a conspiracy?
35-0 so far

Side bet, the "bill" that the WH is proposing to replace the bridge will include money for the Ukraine, Rs will vote against it because it will be full of pork spending, and be labeled as hating minorities since its Baltimore. But the bridge and boat has insurance on them.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad