OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLII: Maybe Let's Talk About Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I showed my youngest daughter the mugshot when she rolled out of bed this morning and was all like "what do you think?"

She goes: "He looks like the Lorax!"

HAHAHA

Methinks she mixed up the Grinch and the Lorax. But she did nail the Seuss connection, lol.

1693182941344.png

1693182986756.png

1693183270898.png

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Had to put down my best friend this morning, had him since I was a kid… wish hockey was here to take my mind off it
Ugh, that sucks. It's always so hard. My Newfoundland is 8 and they don't live past 10, trying to steel myself mentally for the moment. Sometimes I wonder if its worth it to keep going through that.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don't understand how some politicians look so uncomfortable in public. They look like how I look when it comes to dealing with people, but at least I'm smart enough to realize that I'd be terrible in politics because of that.

Then again, I assume that clip is recent, probably shortly after the mass shooting? Yeah, if I f***ed up the state and am now surrounded by the people most affected by said f*** up, I'd look uncomfortable as well.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I don't understand how some politicians look so uncomfortable in public. They look like how I look when it comes to dealing with people, but at least I'm smart enough to realize that I'd be terrible in politics because of that.

Then again, I assume that clip is recent, probably shortly after the mass shooting? Yeah, if I f***ed up the state and am now surrounded by the people most affected by said f*** up, I'd look uncomfortable as well.
I guess should Healey feel the same way after what happened in Boston this weekend?

Reactions: Borsig

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Wish there was a wikileaks or some other site that could release the Epstien client lists...

It would just make mt blood boil knowing how many of them are high profile people from both sides of the Isle that would face zero repercussions. I also don't want to hear the diehards from both sides claim "their people" being on it is fake while blasting the other sides people that show up on it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Having spent time in that world, it varies. There are people who have their ideas to improve the world, and know that politics is the path to doing them, who just suffer through the politicking part. There are a surprising number of shy introverts in politics- policy geeks who can talk to a camera but clam up around people they don't know, but you find those people in Congress, mostly in the House, where a campaign is mostly about direct mail pieces. Statewide usually requires a lot more razzle dazzle, but sometimes you get people like Michael Bennet in the Senate who get appointed to the seat from wonk world and just keep going.

And then there are some who are just in it for power and ego and see the unwashed masses as a thing they have to endure. I get the impression that certain florida politicians with constantly changing ideological positions who keep seeking higher and higher office fall into this category.

But yeah, there's a reason that most national level politicians seem like they need continuous human contact in order to survive. If you've ever seen Bill Clinton work a crowd in person, you'll know that it's basically the same as breathing to him. He can't live without it. To an introvert like me, it's just a totally foreign existence.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It would just make mt blood boil knowing how many of them are high profile people from both sides of the Isle that would face zero repercussions. I also don't want to hear the diehards from both sides claim "their people" being on it is fake while blasting the other sides people that show up on it.
There are definitely going to be scumbags from both sides that were on that list; that seems obvious to me anyway. When I hear someone go on and on about that list and how it's going to bring down whoever they hate, I know to take them less seriously as they are showing me they have no foresight to know it will also take down someone they liked.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
There are definitely going to be scumbags from both sides that were on that list; that seems obvious to me anyway. When I hear someone go on and on about that list and how it's going to bring down whoever they hate, I know to take them less seriously as they are showing me they have no foresight to know it will also take down someone they liked.

Not directing this at you but what makes me so angry is the people who would still argue for someone they like.

I would be disappointed but I'd rather know if someone I like turns out to be a complete POS so I can change my opinion. Not enough people willing to change and a lot of people seem to equate it to weakness...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Easy solution, just hate everyone.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If you can prove someone partook in that, I don't care what side of the aisle they are on, I don't care what movies or tv shows they starred in, I don't care what sports teams they might have been a part of. Publicly tar and feather each and every single one of them before locking them all up and throwing away the key.

The only way we get this country back is by cleaning up the shit that has run rampant throughout the rich elitist culture plaguing this country. (and yes, I know there are probably others from other countries, and possibly even members of royal families abroad. f*** em all)

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Having spent time in that world, it varies. There are people who have their ideas to improve the world, and know that politics is the path to doing them, who just suffer through the politicking part. There are a surprising number of shy introverts in politics- policy geeks who can talk to a camera but clam up around people they don't know, but you find those people in Congress, mostly in the House, where a campaign is mostly about direct mail pieces. Statewide usually requires a lot more razzle dazzle, but sometimes you get people like Michael Bennet in the Senate who get appointed to the seat from wonk world and just keep going.

And then there are some who are just in it for power and ego and see the unwashed masses as a thing they have to endure. I get the impression that certain florida politicians with constantly changing ideological positions who keep seeking higher and higher office fall into this category.

But yeah, there's a reason that most national level politicians seem like they need continuous human contact in order to survive. If you've ever seen Bill Clinton work a crowd in person, you'll know that it's basically the same as breathing to him. He can't live without it. To an introvert like me, it's just a totally foreign existence.

Oh for sure there are some that have natural charisma and it shows. Clinton, Obama, Regan, all had charisma in spades and it was obvious to anyone who met them or even saw them on TV. Even Bush Jr. had a kind of "Good old boy, aw shucks" appeal.

A lot of the today's politicians, at least the ones that are high profile and get the most air, have the charisma of a wet fart. They say the right things to appeal to their constituents, but how they say it is just so unappealing, IMO.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oh for sure there are some that have natural charisma and it shows. Clinton, Obama, Regan, all had charisma in spades and it was obvious to anyone who met them or even saw them on TV. Even Bush Jr. had a kind of "Good old boy, aw shucks" appeal.

A lot of the today's politicians, at least the ones that are high profile and get the most air, have the charisma of a wet fart. They say the right things to appeal to their constituents, but how they say it is just so unappealing, IMO.
The only President I've ever seen in person was GWB. The only thing I remember about him was realizing that his head truly was comically large compared to his body. (he was giving a speech at my school the day after a mass shooting... I don't remember much from that time, but I do remember that)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I want them all brought to justice, even as a big of a Ron Paul fan i am, if he was on it, hell with that feller, birds gotta eat just like the worms.

Reactions: MinJaBen

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Yeah I think Finnboys are better to sit this one out...
Finland has pretty high gun ownership, no? Not like the US but relative to the rest of the world? Hugely different culture and country obviously but I’ve never really heard much about gun violence in Finland

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
What a normal sentence. Am I right? @Lempo @Incubajerks @Lucky Lindy @Stubu

Well, we have our issues here but from what I know for sure, licensing is not automatic and is very controlled. I must say that more or less a year ago, I was struck by two pieces of news where the protagonists were regular visitors to a very famous shooting range here in Roma. When I think about it, I don't know anyone in my circle of friends who owns a gun. In fact I feel safe when I pass near a school, as well as at the bar, at work, at the stadium...etc etc...

They are certainly cultural legacies that change from country to country, frankly in terms of weapons I would never trade with what is in the USA

Reactions: cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad