Prospect Info: Hudson Fasching WJC 12/29/13

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
i wonder if Zykov's current predicament goes back to a similar situation as Kitsyn. i wonder if there is something within the Russian development system that is causing this. it seems something is "neuter-ing" these kids and changing their games entirely.

when they drafted him i recall people talking about him in just the opposite way. how the kid played strong on the boards, willing to go into the traffic and drove the net.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yes, Copp and Fasching played together. Copp got more icetime, because he got also pp-time. Fasching got only even strenght and pk-time.

In my mind Zykov doesn't compete hard enough. He doesn't hit, he doesn't shoot, he doesn't drive to the net. There is no fire. Actually he seems to be a little lost out there , especially in the d-zone. But there is still two games left and those are the big ones.

i wonder if Zykov's current predicament goes back to a similar situation as Kitsyn. i wonder if there is something within the Russian development system that is causing this. it seems something is "neuter-ing" these kids and changing their games entirely.

when they drafted him i recall people talking about him in just the opposite way. how the kid played strong on the boards, willing to go into the traffic and drove the net.

Thanks Vino!

But yeah, I was going to say, that's so the opposite of what we heard when we drafted him. Injury, maybe? Shrug. Let's get him developed ASAP ;)

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

I am considering that you are perfectly correct and then a bit more.

I have now seen Zykov play in the Q 4 times live and he is a completely different player then he has been in the tourney.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Zykov and Kitsyn are better suited to the NA small rink game. The Russian system and Olympic. Ice don't necessarily reflect their games. I guess I'd be more worried if they showed no progress over here.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
A lot of this could be attributed to how the coaches use the players. Fasching, for example, gets ZERO penalty kill time in Minnesota, and he had the same coach on Team USA.

Zykov, in the Q, competes hard, plays strong on the boards, and is a presence around the net. Could just be a coach's decision to use him differently.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Zykov played his best game so far against Sweden. But he was on ice when Swedes (Sundqvist) score their second goal (game winner). In my mind it was partly Zykov's fault - mostly Mironov's (RD) -, because it was Zykov's side (right) where breakaway happened. After that goal 4th line (Skladnichenko-Busarov-Zykov) didn't play a single shift.

Because Zykov is under 6'0" he must improve his skating and strenght a lot if he really wants to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad