Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Plus other Draft talk)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 72 53.3%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Extremely wary of drafting a defense first player in the top 3. The fact that we need a player like that offsets that a bit but I mean there’s a reason why the best defenseman in the league are also offensive stars

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I’ve watched as much Silayev as I can, everything available online and some live KHL games throughout the season. There’s just not enough to show he’ll be more than a Tyler Myers level defender. Offensively he’s average as it gets, which is fine for a giant. Would much rather go with Demi or Lev, whichever Hawks don’t pick. Buium is my guy but I don’t expect them to grab him.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
How was chara evaluated in the 90s? I have no idea how scouts valued him pre-draft. I know he was highly thought of as an Islanders prospect.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I don’t know, if they truly think Silayev will be a stud in the defensive end, I’m fully in support of grabbing him. We have enough offensive weapons from the blue line, what we lack is a true shut down defenseman. Wouldn’t say he’s my pick, but if the scouts think he has that defensive upside I’d support them taking him at 3 even if he may leave some to be desired in the offensive side.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How was chara evaluated in the 90s? I have no idea how scouts valued him pre-draft. I know he was highly thought of as an Islanders prospect.

He was passed over in his first year of eligibility and then selected in the third round the year after. Came over to the WHL for his age 19 season and was under a half point per game, but started making a name for himself for the physical side.

There was obviously some intrigue starting to build early in his NHL career but I don't think he was expected to be a superstar by any means, when the Isles sent him to Ottawa as part of a package for Alexei Yashin. His skating and puck skills improved a ton over the years, he was no where near as mobile or fluid as Silayev even when he was into his early 20s.

Chara is so unique not only for his size but also because very few if any players improve that much at the NHL level. It's not a matter of having adapted or adjusted his game - he improved immensely in his mid 20s.

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
6’7 with elite skating makes him a unicorn. That’s the makeup of someone that could be the best defensive d in the league. I wouldn’t mind that pick at all. Points from d don’t always tell the whole story. Sometimes you have d taking way too many chances. Other times a defensive guy is covering for more of an offensive d.
Silayev having “Elite” skating is a f***ing stretch. Actually it’s just horse shit.

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
In Bob McKenzie's poll of ten actual NHL scouts, Silayev came in third overall with two ranking him #2 overall, three having him #3 overall and two having him #4 overall overall. It would seem they don't share the concerns about his IQ that you are sourcing from whatever independent service.
No, scouts see 6'7 and don't care about iq.

6’7 with elite skating makes him a unicorn. That’s the makeup of someone that could be the best defensive d in the league. I wouldn’t mind that pick at all. Points from d don’t always tell the whole story. Sometimes you have d taking way too many chances. Other times a defensive guy is covering for more of an offensive d.
6'7 and good skater does not make a good hockey player.

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
There are several other 6'7 prospects eligible for this draft, why are none of them ranked nearly as high? Your takes are far too hyperbolic
Okey, and you seem very upset that i don't share the same opinon as you on a player that is not yet drafted. We are talking 3 OA.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Okey, and you seem very upset that i don't share the same opinon as you on a player that is not yet drafted.

I doubt a third party would see a shred of emotion in my response.

It's not that we don't share the same opinion on the player, I'm pointing out that the reasoning you are providing for your opinion is far too simplistic. Sorry I just think you are giving yourself far too much credit if you think your process is more complex than the NHL scouts who rank Silayev highly. Your take is essentially "they just like him because he's big but I know better" and that's obviously silly.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Madden has Dickinson at the top of his list I'm fine with it, if its Lev, Buium or Yake on top at his list i'm excited about it, if its Silayev at the top of his list i'm stoked because means he sees a lot of untapped offensive growth in him. Wasn't Lindholm seen as a defense first guy ?

Bob McKenzie's list is always incredibly accurate, if he has Silayev as high as #2 he's probably going top
4 for sure. Verbeek was with Detroit when they picked 6'6 Edvinsson over Eklund and Clarke. I Imagine during Murray, Madden had to cross off Russians in the first round on their lists because Murray, first year Murray is gone they draft Mintyukov at #10.

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
I doubt a third party would see a shred of emotion in my response.

It's not that we don't share the same opinion on the player, I'm pointing out that the reasoning you are providing for your opinion is far too simplistic. Sorry I just think you are giving yourself far too much credit if you think your process is more complex than the NHL scouts who rank Silayev highly. Your take is essentially "they just like him because he's big but I know better" and that's obviously silly.
I don't have process. I never claimed to be better then scouts at this. I only shared my opinion. Every team draft differently, many prioritize size over everything. The fact that your attacking me for my ability does make it seem your upset. My source is among others eliteprospects.

Good listen:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If Madden has Dickinson at the top of his list I'm fine with it, if its Lev, Buium or Yake on top at his list i'm excited about it, if its Silayev at the top of his list i'm stoked because means he sees a lot of untapped offensive growth in him. Wasn't Lindholm seen as a defense first guy ?

Bob McKenzie's list is always incredibly accurate, if he has Silayev as high as #2 he's probably going top
4 for sure. Verbeek was with Detroit when they picked 6'6 Edvinsson over Eklund and Clarke. I Imagine during Murray, Madden had to cross off Russians in the first round on their lists because Murray, first year Murray is gone they draft Mintyukov at #10.
McKenzie's list wasn't very accurate last year. It'll be interesting if there are more extremely late risers again, but that list perhaps shouldn't be counted on as gospel.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
McKenzie's list wasn't very accurate last year. It'll be interesting if there are more extremely late risers again, but that list perhaps shouldn't be counted on as gospel.
I could be wrong but I think he/she meant his list is “accurate” when it comes to an actual projection of who the best players are, not what order they’ll be drafted in. At least that’s what I personally find impressive about Mackenzie’s list.

This is just such a weird draft. I personally have Levshunov as the 4th or 5th best D in it.

I’m hoping for Demidov or Dickinson. If they take Silayev I’ll be excited though

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I could be wrong but I think he/she meant his list is “accurate” when it comes to an actual projection of who the best players are, not what order they’ll be drafted in
If that's the case then it has historically been even less accurate. Bobs list has generally been good at pinning the general area guys have been taken, but less so over the last couple years.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If that's the case then it has historically been even less accurate. Bobs list has generally been good at pinning the general area guys have been taken, but less so over the last couple years.
Interesting didn’t know that

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I could be wrong but I think he/she meant his list is “accurate” when it comes to an actual projection of who the best players are, not what order they’ll be drafted in. At least that’s what I personally find impressive about Mackenzie’s list.

This is just such a weird draft. I personally have Levshunov as the 4th or 5th best D in it.

I’m hoping for Demidov or Dickinson. If they take Silayev I’ll be excited though
Yeah any of the D in this draft would have me excited if its Madden signing off on it.
Just as long as he gets his guy not Verbeek telling him to arrange the list in order of height lol.

Reactions: Kalv and Trojans86

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Who plays PP1 between Mintyukov and Zellweger?

What about if Levshunov is in the mix?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
No, scouts see 6'7 and don't care about iq.
Yeah, I don’t think that’s true. IQ is probably the thing scouts care about more than any other trait - it’s just the most difficult thing to get a reliable read on. Especially with an 18 year old playing a safe game in a pro league.

Reactions: anezthes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad