TSN: Huberdeau offered 2y bridge, undecided whether he'll accept it

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
IMO, he's got very little to negotiate if it's for big bucks. Whatever he agrees to on a short term deal is subject to I believe a minimum of a 10% raise at the end. He still has much to prove and in no way should this contract go much beyond $4M.

If not signed by camp, this tells me he is going to be a chronic malcontent. Tallon will ship him out when the opportunity arises.

nobody knows what the numbers are...

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
no it's not. he'll make a lot more on a long term deal if he picks up where he left off with Barkov and Jagr. it's a strategic choice and pretty common. he's betting his value increases over the next two years.

The voice of reason...

Do you not think Huberdeau knows what his value would be if he can back up another season with Barkov and Jagr, I wish he would sign long term like Big Nick but I understand his position, I really see no problem with it, and Dale is playing it right, not saying anything but we want Jonathan to be comfortable.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
The fact that huberdeau not talon wanted a short term deal is concerning.

I always thought he would bolt back to quebec when he starts getting good.

Maybe Huberdeau think he can improve more, and earn more money, and that might be a reason for a short contract. Dunno..

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Maybe Huberdeau think he can improve more, and earn more money, and that might be a reason for a short contract. Dunno..

This is it. Like I said earlier he wants to bet on himself and cash in after two years. Where Bjugs took the security of a 6 years and 24 million guaranteed dollars.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
IMO, he's got very little to negotiate if it's for big bucks. Whatever he agrees to on a short term deal is subject to I believe a minimum of a 10% raise at the end. He still has much to prove and in no way should this contract go much beyond $4M.

If not signed by camp, this tells me he is going to be a chronic malcontent. Tallon will ship him out when the opportunity arises.

Actually he holds most of the leverage here. Dec 1 is long time from now and the team needs him a lot more than they can afford to wait. It's brinkmanship but he has the leverage.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Actually he holds most of the leverage here. Dec 1 is long time from now and the team needs him a lot more than they can afford to wait. It's brinkmanship but he has the leverage.

That's fine, I'd like to see what smith or pirri can do on the top line. Huberdeau won't wait out half the season or the entire season, he's not the next one.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
It's smart on Huberdeau's part to only go for the short term for now. If his play increases, he's setting himself up for a big payday.

It'll get done.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Trade boards have alllll kinds of proposals going on and some offer sheet stuff too. Jeeez. People are salivating.

Which should make some understand why Huberdeau is taking his time planning out his financial future.

Common sense.

He has been around the team all year at events, and is in the best shape of his career, he is planning to make a move this season, and it will be for the Panthers rest assured. Will be fun to watch.

Rockaway Rob

Jun 30, 2007
We are all speculating that it's over dollars but maybe the holdup is about a no trade clause? Maybe huberdeau wants one and Tallon isn't willing to do that?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Man, I like Wang's philosophy of not negotiating past the start of camp with RFA's. In essence if you don't sign......you are done for the year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Is there more unnecessary worry in this thread or the preseason thread last year where Florida didn't win a game and looked awful. He'll re-sign, not many other options for him.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i don't get it. he wants it a bridge? well here you go. what does he honestly think he's gonna make on a bridge deal? bridge deals are never THAT much and are always cheaper than longer term deals. especially given what he's done so far, how much does he honestly think he's worth at this moment? sign for like 3.0-3.333per or something and wait to get something bigger after 2yrs if thats the path he wants. be reasonable. apparently this is the panthers "best offer" or something? so I'm gonna assume its something of fair value, and this is coming from tallon who isnt afraid of overpaying.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We are all speculating that it's over dollars but maybe the holdup is about a no trade clause? Maybe huberdeau wants one and Tallon isn't willing to do that?
Huby wants a bridge, so it can't be that. A player isn't eligible for a NMC/NTC until they've reached UFA status, so 7 seasons or 27yo. Huberdeau is going to reach the 7 seasons in 2019, when he's 26yo.

It's possible that if Huby sign a long term extension after this bridge, that the deal could include a NMC/NTC that kicks in from 2019 onwards. Stamkos is an example of this, as he signed his current contract in 2011, but 2015-16 is already his 8th year in the league and he was given a NMC for this season when the contract was done in 2011.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
When billionaires and millionaires fight, i'm always siding with millionaires.

What's the salary cap situation for Panthers? something like $67 million including Savard's contract and bonus transfers to next year (bonuses or percentage of them are eligible for transfer) ?

JOL

It's not only about Hubby's contract... It's about setting a precedent for future negotiations with Barkov, Ekblad, etc.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I wish we knew what the offer on the table is. I assume its 2 years at somewhere around 8-10 million total. If we're offering less than that, not a wise decision. Personally, I think between 4-5 per for the next 2 years is pretty fair for both sides.

Also, for those saying that since Bolland makes 5.5 then it's only fair that Huberdeau should ask for more....No, that's not how it works. Huberdeau is coming off his ELC. Bolland was going into UFA in his mid-late 20s....completely different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad