Confirmed with Link: Hronek Loaned to Mountfield HK (Czech Tipsport Extraliga)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Kronwall was 2 years older than Hronek is now when he became a regular in the NHL but missed most of that season with an injury.
The following season when he was 3 years older than Hronek is now he scored 22 points in 68 games and was a 0 in the =/-minus on a powerhouse Wings' team.
Hronek is way ahead of Kronner at the same age.

Kronwall was 32 years old before he averaged the icetime Hronek did last year.
I remember when Kronwall was drafted... people scoffed. He was like 5'9 160.
He was always going to be a project.
And he had guys like Lidstrom, Chelios, Fischer, Schneider, etc ahead of him. So they took their time.
And then when he was ready, he got hurt. And then he got locked out. And then he got hurt again. So I'm not so sure Kronwall at 22 was all that much behind Hronek.

And even if Hronek is ahead at 22 - will he be ahead at 25/26?
My guess is that Hronek, probably not this season, but next, will start to see a decrease in TOI as Seider begins to soak up all but the top unit powerplay play minutes.

So Hronek will get his 24 minutes a night this year, but I'm guessing he falls back starting next season, which will probably hurt his production. And if Seider ends up working the powerplay too, even more.

I like Hronek - he's beat expectations every step of the way. He salvaged the Datsyuk trade.

If Hronek has Kronwall's career, even without the cup, I'll consider it a success.
950 games. 83 goals. 432 points.

Even with that late start, Kronwall, with a lockout that cost a season and a half, and with the injuries, Kronwall goes down as among the all time Wings:
* 10th all time in games played.
* 19th all time in points.
* 4th all time in points among defensemen.
* Maybe the most devastating hitter in the Red Wings history.

He was far from a super star. Far from a hall of famer.
But for a guy who spent his prime playing the second pairing and 2nd unit PP, he had a fine NHL career.

If Hronek matches him or surpasses him, kudos to him.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The reduction in TOI (& reduced pts.) for Hronek starting in 21-22 as you surmise, is offset by the addition of skill injected into the lineup + Hronek will grow his game, improve & become stronger, maybe slightly heavier by 10lbs (hopefully). Also his QoC% will be lower since Seider will be likely tasked with the hardest matchups like Hronek is now...this means even more pts & better +/-.

Reactions: wingerdinger

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The reduction in TOI (& reduced pts.) for Hronek starting in 21-22 as you surmise, is offset by the addition of skill injected into the lineup + Hronek will grow his game, improve & become stronger, maybe slightly heavier by 10lbs (hopefully). Also his QoC% will be lower since Seider will be likely tasked with the hardest matchups like Hronek is now...this means even more pts & better +/-.

And yet every year we see guys go from shit teams to good teams and be unable to maintain production as their roles shrink, PP time sinks, etc.

I see Hronek as a solid 2nd pairing RD who can play your first unit PP. He'll play his 21-22 minutes a night. And if he's playing more than that, he's probably punching above his weight.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
And yet every year we see guys go from shit teams to good teams and be unable to maintain production as their roles shrink, PP time sinks, etc.

I see Hronek as a solid 2nd pairing RD who can play your first unit PP. He'll play his 21-22 minutes a night. And if he's playing more than that, he's probably punching above his weight.

Yes, but that isn't the norm. If anything, it's usually closer to the offsets, which I referred to.

Either way, I agree with your solid 2nd pairing RD + 1PP assessment of Hronek. 21-22 sounds about right, but it's nice to know he has the ability to play 24-25 when needed, except he'll have a lot more help on D & F when doing so. I imagine he'll have numerous 40-50+ pt. seasons over the next decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Kronwall was pretty good offensively.
Offensively, I give Kronwall the edge in passing, skating with the puck, and jumping into the rush.
I give Hronek the advantage on point shot.
Hronek potential is better than Kronwall. Don't forget how old is Hronek. Him and Seider needs mentors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad