Post-Game Talk: Howard plays great, Wings still lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
So what? In the past 10 games he has 0G 3A and a -4 to go along with it. In those 10 games he has averaged 17 minutes, and if he was so dynamite while on the ice during 5v5 situations his stats would look a lot better.

Vanek was the one driving the offense early on, and once he got injured Nyquist has done nothing but become another problem/passenger on the ice.

newsflash....players go through ups and downs throughout the season and don't produce at the same consistent level all 82 games

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So what? In the past 10 games he has 0G 3A and a -4 to go along with it. In those 10 games he has averaged 17 minutes, and if he was so dynamite while on the ice during 5v5 situations his stats would look a lot better.

Vanek was the one driving the offense early on, and once he got injured Nyquist has done nothing but become another problem/passenger on the ice.

No they were cleaning up together. And the whole team has been trash for like the last 2 weeks. Think we are like 1/24 on our last 25 PP's or something terrible like that.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Glad nobody suggested trading Tatar and Sheahan for Fowler back in the summer...oh...wait...

It's not really all that surprising that the team is going through a very rough stretch. They haven't had a high draft pick in decades, they haven't made an impact trade in a decade, and elite free agents hardly ever hit the market anymore, but when they rarely do, they don't choose to come here.

Eventually, every run is over, and you regress. Father Time is undefeated that way.

It was an historic window of success, but the piper needs to be paid. I just hope there aren't any last-minute desperation moves still in the works, and the front office lets this mess play itself out with an eye toward the future at long last.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I just don't understand how Nyquist and Tatar regressed so much within two years they are becoming non-factors. The two players that were going to be a major part of the new core are just invisible now...

Life happens. We committed to Nyquist for 4 years, it was a hopeful proposition. I think surrounded by the right players (not on the Wings, haha) the Goose could be let loose again. He kind of deserves to be on a better team, honestly. Tatar, why is there such expectation he's supposed to lead us? And hurtful emotion when he can't? He's not a core guy like Abdelkader, Nyquist, Nielsen, Helm, Ericsson, Kronwall, Zetterberg, etc. Tatar makes 2.75 mil and is a FA this spring. We've seen prospects such as Emmerton and Andersson fizzle out, not the end of the world.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Glad nobody suggested trading Tatar and Sheahan for Fowler back in the summer...oh...wait...

It's not really all that surprising that the team is going through a very rough stretch. They haven't had a high draft pick in decades, they haven't made an impact trade in a decade, and elite free agents hardly ever hit the market anymore, but when they rarely do, they don't choose to come here.

Eventually, every run is over, and you regress. Father Time is undefeated that way.

It was an historic window of success, but the piper needs to be paid. I just hope there aren't any last-minute desperation moves still in the works, and the front office lets this mess play itself out with an eye toward the future at long last.

Don't think Tatar for Fowler was ever a possibility, not while Lindholm remained unsigned.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Don't think Tatar for Fowler was ever a possibility, not while Lindholm remained unsigned.
At the time, the talk was that Anaheim considered moving Fowler to free up cap space to sign Lindholm. Who knows if there was any genuine interest, but the rumors were flying, and many Ducks fans were keen on Tatar, although the additions sometimes were greater than Sheahan (some wanted AA or another forward instead).

Water under the bridge now, but the point is that the strategy of, "we like our team" is not indefinitely sustainable.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
this year so far. wo de do. Where did they finish last year again?
In the basement, due to a massive rebuild, complete with drafting high and playing said young players. Which means this year - at least thus far - they have improved.

Kinda the opposite of the direction Detroit is headed in.

Oct 18, 2006
Sorry I refuse to buy the Tatar is no good theory. He scored 29 goals just a few years ago, somethings happened.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
At the time, the talk was that Anaheim considered moving Fowler to free up cap space to sign Lindholm. Who knows if there was any genuine interest, but the rumors were flying, and many Ducks fans were keen on Tatar, although the additions sometimes were greater than Sheahan (some wanted AA or another forward instead).

Water under the bridge now, but the point is that the strategy of, "we like our team" is not indefinitely sustainable.

There's been a chance to make moves with the interest in players like Mantha and Larkin but Holland doesn't strike while the iron is hot. Tatar held more value 2 years ago that would've been the time. Amazing the Wings are months if not years behind the decisions fans would make immediately.

The defense, since Nick retired should have been bolstered by any means necessary. Within all the trade rumors- Edler, Myers, Phaneuf, Fowler, Shattenkirk, man on and on, I have this feeling the one we may have truly missed is Bouwmeester! Any thoughts on this? Watched him in the WCH and was impressed. He'd be a "solid" #1/ #2 for the Wings.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Ideally we pull a SJ. We suck, get a decent pick, let our kids develop more and come back for a run in 17/18.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
In the basement, due to a massive rebuild, complete with drafting high and playing said young players. Which means this year - at least thus far - they have improved.

Kinda the opposite of the direction Detroit is headed in.

So you're saying the coach isnt the winning formula.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Sorry I refuse to buy the Tatar is no good theory. He scored 29 goals just a few years ago, somethings happened.

I don't either. Lets also not forgot that he was second in points getting less than 15 minutes a night just last year...

I also don't buy that he isn't trying. If there's one thing Tatar does every shift, its try. Perhaps too hard.

What I think his problem is is that he's not great at distributing the puck. He should be a goal scorer. He should be next to a smart, pass-first center and his primary job should be finding open space. Unfortunately, we just don't have the centers who attract coverage and even if we did, we don't have the personnel to make the passes under pressure that a small sniper like Tatar needs.

He's just a bad fit right now.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Yep.

It seems like all of the friends I've made in almost two decades of a paid military vacation are from the New England area. They overreact over the Pats & Sox like it's their job. Assuming most of us are fans of Detroit sports, we have little sympathy for that.

I'm fully on the 'terminate Holland with extreme prejudice' bandwagon, and probably won't ever revise history to give him the predominant role in the Wings managerial success; regardless, I can respect the fact that the club had a historic ride. This shouldn't stop us from calling this turd sandwich for what it is though. What they collectively accomplished was legendary, what they are trending towards is equally legendary. What other team has spent beyond the cap, in its short existence, to put out such a putrid product? It's truly historic in this new age. It has become impossible to polish the joke any longer.

If Holland, willingly or unwillingly, commits more of what the collective have lamented about ad nauseam, then there is no denying organizational insanity. The respect is due, but not at the cost of encouraging delay in icing a respectable team. Nobody here wants the Wings to replace the Oilers or Leafs as the NHL's running joke... so we shouldn't let the accomplishment cloud the epic and growing failure.

Remember that the Oilers made a cup run in 06, and had a running dynasty until the early 90's. It seems like nostalgia inside management may have played a part in the last decade of futility. Let's not encourage the same here. Scorch the earth... both management and the roster, save the reminiscing for the cute alumni games, hope that this isn't a profit driven directive from the spoiled kid of a billionaire, and get a clean start.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
If Tatar would actually have some finish this season, it'd be a very different game with us up 1-0. Story of the season, I guess.

If Vanek continues his play from the start of the season, we'll start winning games when he's back. To the plight of many apparently.

"we can take some positives from this game"

NO, Riley, you can't. I'm so sick of this garbage. How about they take accountability for their terrible play. The only positive was Jimmy Howard, that's it.

The Caps had 1 actual scoring chance and Howard's the only positive? Damn, the Caps must suck more than us.

Yup. Was stellar at the World Cup too.

I blame that silly tournament.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Jimmy deserves better. This team is either pretty good or lifeless. Losing happens to every team during a season but the inconsistency is what annoys me the most.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Vanek was never going to sustain his play and him getting injured should of been a surprise to nobody. If vanek comes back and is resumes even 50 % of his previous pace I'll eat every one of kronwalleds hats.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Ideally we pull a SJ. We suck, get a decent pick, let our kids develop more and come back for a run in 17/18.

Us and SJ are in completely different situations. SJ missed the playoffs because they had elite talent but no supporting players. We have tons of supporting players and no elite talent. It's not a quick turnaround for us.

Thornton, Pavelski, couture, burns, and Vlasic are top tier talent. Each of those guys is better than any player on our roster.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Tatar is good, but he was playing with some damn good players in the World cup, some.damn good players that we don't have on our roster. Simple as that. Tatar was never going to be the lead guy, always looked like a really good secondary piece. This is what happens when you play him out of his role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad