How would you do the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjbhab*

ah .. im done with this, toronto doesn't deserve it. Case Closed!

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Did you watch Detroit in the playoffs two years ago, when they BARELY squeaked past Nashville. And then they couldn't generate any offense against a Calgary team that had an AHL defense?
QUOTE]

AHL defense ?
Come on, Calgary's defense is well-rounded, solid and physical. Talent-wise they might not seem as a top-10 squad, during the Flames' run, they definetely played at such a high level.

MontrealCruiser_83*

ToMaLe said:
Not sure how the draft will be decided. probably some kind of a weighted system. Since we obviously cant go by last years stats how about this format. All teams that won the cup in the last 5 years gets 1 ball and every five year segment before that gets 1 more ball with a maximun of 5. So in other words:

1 ball = Tampa Bay, New Jersy, Detroit and Colorado
2 balls = Dallas
3 balls = New York Rangers, Montreal, Pittsburg and Edmonton
4 balls = Calgary
5 balls = All other teams
Hahaha... are you serious? That's the worst idea I've seen to date. As if it wasn't clear enough that Toronto is heavily rewarded, you found the need to screw over the teams that are usually listed alongside Toronto as the big teams that don't deserve a good shot at Crosby (Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, New Jersey). Absolute genius.

Last edited by a moderator:

cjbhab*

MontrealCruiser_83 said:
Hahaha... are you serious? That's the worst idea I've seen to date. As if it wasn't clear enough that Toronto is heavily rewarded favored, you found the need to screw over the teams that are usually listed alongside Toronto as the big teams that don't deserve a good shot at Crosby (Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, New Jersey). Absolute genius.

I agree, worst idea ever, its heavily biased. Is this guy working for the CBC? :shakehead :biglaugh:

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
Hahaha... are you serious? That's the worst idea I've seen to date. As if it wasn't clear enough that Toronto is heavily rewarded, you found the need to screw over the teams that are usually listed alongside Toronto as the big teams that don't deserve a good shot at Crosby (Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, New Jersey). Absolute genius.

Thanks for verifing what i said earlier....the only posters who dumps on everyone are habs fans....they never have anything constructive to say, as in your post of course, on how the draft should be done, just open your arogant mouth and put people down....as i said earlier the Leafs wouldnt have any better shot at # 1 as 20 other teams...thats heavily rewarded as you say?.....sorry pal but ive seen more brains in a retarted clam then you!! and thanks for calling me a genius, sorry i couldnt return the favour!!

cjbhab*

ToMaLe said:
Thanks for verifing what i said earlier....the only posters who dumps on everyone are habs fans....they never have anything constructive to say, as in your post of course, on how the draft should be done, just open your arogant mouth and put people down....as i said earlier the Leafs wouldnt have any better shot at # 1 as 20 other teams...thats heavily rewarded as you say?.....sorry pal but ive seen more brains in a retarted clam then you!! and thanks for calling me a genius, sorry i couldnt return the favour!!

They shouldn't get as good of chance at 1-20 as everyone else, its just unfair. As for montreal we deserve # 15-18.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Toronto Maple Leafs might be the team that gave up the most in this lockout and they wanted to go for one more cup run with all the old players they have. What position do you think the Leafs will be in next season? THey are going to have trouble, you know it and I know it. Stop Being such a hater. Make it fair for everybody.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
give all teams a chance, but weight it. Give less chance to teams that have recently made the playoffs, and give less chance to teams that have recently benefitted from multiple high picks.

NYIsles1*

I think the fair way to do a lottery is a three year avg based on where a team finished overall with every team having a chance. Not total points or wins but where a team ranked among all thirty at the end of each season.

If your final avg is in the bottom five you receive the most chances.
5-15 second most chances.
15-30 third most chances.

A Good Flying Bird*

I think it should be weighted to count the last three years, plus two out of the last three leap years!

Everybody finished last last year, people.

A Good Flying Bird*

hab 4ever said:
Newsguyone said:
Did you watch Detroit in the playoffs two years ago, when they BARELY squeaked past Nashville. And then they couldn't generate any offense against a Calgary team that had an AHL defense?
QUOTE]

AHL defense ?
Come on, Calgary's defense is well-rounded, solid and physical. Talent-wise they might not seem as a top-10 squad, during the Flames' run, they definetely played at such a high level.

Look, all credit to Calgary. I routed hard for those guys in the conference finals and cup finals.
And all credit to their inexperienced defenseman and their great coach.

But come on.

Look at games 5 and 6 of the Wings-Flames series.

Look it up.

Who played defense?

And besides, this is just a way for you to avoid the overall point. It doesn't change the fact that the Wings have lost in the first and second round the last two seasons. It doesn't change the fact the Yzerman, Chelios, Schneider and Hull are gone.
It doesn't change the fact that an old team on the decline is older.

Good Lord. Consider what I am saying.

We have no idea if Detroit would have been that good last year.
No idea. I and many other Wings fans believed that the Wings era, as we knew it, was over.
And yet you guys blindly give them the worst shot at the #1 pick, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If you're being honest with yourselves, you know that it is unfair.

Come up with a fair solution, and I'll listen to it.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
I would rig it so vancouver wins the draft.

Everything after that doesnt matter, throw darts at a list.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Teams pick by alphabetical order, starting with L :D

Seriously, I think some weight should be applied, but I can see the "equal chance for all" reasoning as well. I'm just at the point where I'll be happy when we have the draft. Kings could pick last in every round, and while that would suck... at least we'd have hockey again.

But if it's going to be completely random, then I think every round should be random. If Detroit picks first, fine, but let's not also give them 31st, 61st, and 91st. Same thing for Washington.

AG9NK35DT8*

Teams that made the playoffs last year get one ball all non playoff teams get 2 balls or , they could just give NYR the first overall pick.

But what i really feel is fair is take all 14 non playoff teams over the last 5 years, take there records and avg them out and work from there. Basically the first 14 picks should go to all nonplayoff teams only in the first round. Then second round on do a regular one ball per team.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Newsguyone said:
Look, all credit to Calgary. I routed hard for those guys in the conference finals and cup finals.

But come on.

Look it up.

Who played defense?

And besides, this is just a way for you to avoid the overall point. It doesn't change the fact that the Wings have lost in the first and second round the last two seasons. It doesn't change the fact the Yzerman, Chelios, Schneider and Hull are gone.

No idea. I and many other Wings fans believed that the Wings era, as we knew it, was over.
And yet you guys blindly give them the worst shot at the #1 pick, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You are right. We have no idea what would have happened. The only things they have to base the draft on is a) historical records or b) a straight lottery. Neither is inherently fair or unfair, just different. To claim one isn't fair strains credulity.

I don't direct this at you, but I would love to see a breakdown of weighted v unweighted based on franchise. This would be an interesting poll...

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Newsguyone said:

But come on.

Look it up.

Who played defense?

Ok, serously I was just arguing with your assesment of Calgary's defense, who IMO played very well down the road. But for the rest, I completely agree. I mean, before bashing me, have you gone through the entire thread : http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=150294&page=2&pp=15 ? (page 2) Because one message above the one where I talk about the Flames'defense, I have a message much longer when I say exactly the same thing you are telling me right now. Heck, I EVEN USE DETROIT AS AN EXAMPLE !! Come on.éé :shakehead
BTW, my solution is no weighted lottery, 30 balls, one per team .... Everyone has an even shot to Crosby. Everyone has an even shot at the 30th pick . It also goes for Detroit.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
20 balls/team
every time you made the playoffs the last 4 years subtract a ball for every year making the playoffs
every time you advance in the playoffs a round take away a ball for each round advanced
each team that's won the SC (Tampa, New Jersey, Detroit & Colorado) take away 2 balls
every time you get the #1 pick take away two balls
every time you win the lottery take away 1 ball

A Good Flying Bird*

hab 4ever said:
Ok, serously I was just arguing with your assesment of Calgary's defense, who IMO played very well down the road. But for the rest, I completely agree. I mean, before bashing me, have you gone through the entire thread : http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=150294&page=2&pp=15 ? (page 2) Because one message above the one where I talk about the Flames'defense, I have a message much longer when I say exactly the same thing you are telling me right now. Heck, I EVEN USE DETROIT AS AN EXAMPLE !! Come on.éé :shakehead
BTW, my solution is no weighted lottery, 30 balls, one per team .... Everyone has an even shot to Crosby. Everyone has an even shot at the 30th pick . It also goes for Detroit.

Err ... didn't think I was bashing you. Sorry if you I was.

drbill28

Feb 25, 2003
Pomfret Center, CT
Visit site
I came up with a random solution. Take the last 3 or 4 seasons. Average out each team's point totals. Rank them highest to lowest. The highest 10 averages get one ball, the next 10 get two and the bottom 10 3 balls.

I don't know if you should factor in playoffs in this system. But perhaps you get an extra ball for missing the playoffs 2 of 3 or 3 of 4 seasons. Maybe limiting that to certain teams based on top or bottom half.

I even made a spreadsheet with all the points over the last 4 seasons and the average for the last 3 and 4 seasons.

But you'll never get the Rangers off the high end of the list. The only way to do that is to say they don't deserve it and take it away.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Err ... didn't think I was bashing you. Sorry if you I was.
anyways.... maybe bashing was not the good word... maybe more misinterpreted.... Anyways, since we share some ideas, let's spread the good news : an even (and really even) shot at Crosby for each and every team in this league.

A Good Flying Bird*

hab 4ever said:
anyways.... maybe bashing was not the good word... maybe more misinterpreted.... Anyways, since we share some ideas, let's spread the good news : an even (and really even) shot at Crosby for each and every team in this league.

I agree.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see him in Montreal.

I'd love to see Montreal reclaim past glory with Crosby at the helm.

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
This is how i would do the draft...

- talling up all the teams points from the last 10 seasons.

- for every 100 points a team has it is a 'ticket' in a lottery

you start picking from the highest pick (30th) to the lowest (1st) seeing as the worst teams will have less 'tickets' in the lottery they have a better chance in getting that number 1 spot

KL*

There is no reason why the NHL should allow Crosby to go to a bad team. As I proved in my thread (that was deleted), the NHL is best served by having Crosby playing for a good team in a big US market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad