How would you do the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Not sure how the draft will be decided. probably some kind of a weighted system. Since we obviously cant go by last years stats how about this format. All teams that won the cup in the last 5 years gets 1 ball and every five year segment before that gets 1 more ball with a maximun of 5. So in other words:

1 ball = Tampa Bay, New Jersy, Detroit and Colorado
2 balls = Dallas
3 balls = New York Rangers, Montreal, Pittsburg and Edmonton
4 balls = Calgary
5 balls = All other teams

mackdogs*

ToMaLe said:
Not sure how the draft will be decided. probably some kind of a weighted system. Since we obviously cant go by last years stats how about this format. All teams that won the cup in the last 5 years gets 1 ball and every five year segment before that gets 1 more ball with a maximun of 5. So in other words:

2 balls = Dallas
4 balls = Calgary
Well, just like you I would use some formula that ensured my team got maximum picks. All teams start with 3 balls and any team that made the playoffs the previous season, or 01-02 loses 1 ball per year.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Wow! Finally a thread discussing how the draft order should be determined. I wonder if anyone on here has strong opinions on the issue :sarcasm:

One thing I`ve noticed: a lot of the fans who are insistent that only the teams near the bottom of the standings should have a crack at #1, at the same time don`t want the Rangers to have a shot at it.

cjbhab*

Komisarek8 said:
30 balls, 30 teams ..1 chance each but a snake draft.

NO WAY! toronto doesn't deserve crosby, nor does detroit, its unfair and it will be weighted in some way.

how many times do I have to go over this? :shakehead

cjbhab*

ToMaLe said:

2 balls = Dallas
4 balls = Calgary

By the way you draw this up, Im not surprised your a toronto fan, pfftt. there all the same. And i think komisarek8 might be a closet fan too.

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
cjbhab said:
NO WAY! toronto doesn't deserve crosby, nor does detroit, its unfair and it will be weighted in some way.

Probably until you make an airtight argument! :)

I can understand those teams wanting to have an equal shot. They are losing the most with the CBA. There was no season so there's no telling where they would have finished. And why penalize them for being successful?

The snake style draft should definitely be used. There's no reason for the same team having the first pick in every round. 1 through 30 and then 30 down to 1. Whoever gets Crosby shouldn't pick again till the end of Round 2.

That way, the last ball picked isn't cheated

cjbhab*

matthew94 said:
Probably until you make an airtight argument! :)

I can understand those teams wanting to have an equal shot. They are losing the most with the CBA. There was no season so there's no telling where they would have finished. And why penalize them for being successful?

The snake style draft should definitely be used. There's no reason for the same team having the first pick in every round. 1 through 30 and then 30 down to 1. Whoever gets Crosby shouldn't pick again till the end of Round 2.

That way, the last ball picked isn't cheated

i agree with the snak style thing, but Detroit would have been good and you know it, so why do they get it, a team who REALLY needs him should get him.

A Good Flying Bird*

ToMaLe said:

2 balls = Dallas
4 balls = Calgary

Ain't we killed this horsey yet?

Look, I don't want to get banned. So I'll just ask this question to you nicely.

I ask you from a Wings fan's perspective.

Look at Detroit's team. How in the world can you say that Detroit deserves to get the worst pick in the draft?

How in the world can you count Detroit's playoff success from 2002, when the team had Yzerman, Fedorov, Hull, Hasek, Larionov, Chelios etc. and count that against TODAY's Red Wings team, which has NONE OF THEM?

If you can answer justify that in a logical manner, then by all means, let's give your idea a shot.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
shut up!..

i'm not a leafs fan ...

I'm a habs fan but i'm making it FAIR for all teams. If Toronto ends up with Crosby, so BE IT! .. I'm not going around trying to find the best possible draft order for the Montreal Canadiens.

All those "horrible years" by Washington, Pittsburgh and whoever else alraedy got them GOOD PICKS....why shoudl those years be taken into consideration AGAIN when they have already been taken into consideration..

A team like Toronto spends ..what..? About 60-65 M $ payroll ...yet they make so much profits every year, they got locked out for a year and they deserve to get a decent chance at a #1 pick. They will lose Nolan, Possibly Belfour , and possibly other players as well. Same thing with Detroit, Philly and Colorado.

You think Colorado will be the same when Sakic, Forsberg, Blake leaves because of cap issues? You think Selanne and Kariya are going to stay?

Here's certain players the Habs had 2-3 yrs ago and they aren't with the team anymore, why does that "year" be taken into consideration when the team isn't even close to what it is today:

Czerkawski instead of Ryder
Berezin instead of Kovalev
Petrov instead of whoever
Hackett instead of Huet
Gilmour instead of Ribeiro
Perreault instead of Bonk
Dykhuis instead of Souray
Traverse instead of Komisarek
Audette instead of Perezhogin?

the team's are COMPLETELY different then what they were...there is absolutely no reason to go back many seasons to try to make it fair when fair is right in front of our faces by making it all equal chances draft.

I'm sure many teams can do exactly what I did with their lineups, it's not FAIR... Colorado,Detorit, Toronto, Boston, and many other teams won't be even close to what they were last season yet we are suppose to go back 2-3 yrs to see how they did and put them in the end of the draft or a very low chance of getting a good pick?

A Good Flying Bird*

cjbhab said:

Explain why Detroit or Toronto, two aging teams with serious cap issues and no room to sign UFAs, and who might have to buy out long time players like Lidstrom/MCarty, deserve no chance at drafting Crosby.

Explain why Washington, which has a ton of young talent and the cap room to go out and purchase several UFAs at rock bottom prices, deserves a chance?

Seriously.
30 names in a hat is the only equitable way.

Or get rid of the draft and hold a huge draft next season, when we have ACTUAL RESULTS.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
cjbhab said:
By the way you draw this up, Im not surprised your a toronto fan, pfftt. there all the same. And i think komisarek8 might be a closet fan too.
And the only poster to dump on someone in this thread is you, a hab fan, their all the same!! And by the way the Leafs wouldnt have a better shot at #1 then the overwhemling majority of the teams in the NHL.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Newsguyone said:
Ain't we killed this horsey yet?

Look, I don't want to get banned. So I'll just ask this question to you nicely.

I ask you from a Wings fan's perspective.

Look at Detroit's team. How in the world can you say that Detroit deserves to get the worst pick in the draft?

How in the world can you count Detroit's playoff success from 2002, when the team had Yzerman, Fedorov, Hull, Hasek, Larionov, Chelios etc. and count that against TODAY's Red Wings team, which has NONE OF THEM?

If you can answer justify that in a logical manner, then by all means, let's give your idea a shot.
ummmm how did Detroit get the worse pick in the draft? they could get the #1 pick, a chance that they would never have gotten had there been a season. Since there wasnt a season then go by the NHL's history. Look this is just my opinion, you have yours. If it upsets you then dont post, no need to get banned. This is what posts are for,opinions and people stating thir opinion for or against or giving their ideas. I know everyone wont agree with this method, or with any other method of doing the draft.

A Good Flying Bird*

cjbhab said:
i agree with the snak style thing, but Detroit would have been good and you know it, so why do they get it, a team who REALLY needs him should get him.

Did you watch Detroit in the playoffs two years ago, when they BARELY squeaked past Nashville. And then they couldn't generate any offense against a Calgary team that had an AHL defense?

Did you know that that same Detroit team then lost Brett Hull, Chris Chelios, Matt Schneider and maybe Steve Yzerman?

Did you watch the year before when Anaheim SWEPT Detroit in the first round?

By the way, I think it's also time to change the draft format. I agree with the snaking format, from here on out.

But I also think we need to change the reliance on the regular season standings. Everybody knows that the regular season is just the test you pass or fail before moving on to the REAL season.

I think the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs should all be in the lottery for the #1 pick.
The worst team gets 14 balls. The best of the non-playoffs gets one ball.

Then the first eight teams eliminated would get the next eight picks, using the regular season to determine where they go, from 15-22.
Teams knocked out in the second round pick from 23-26, with regular season points used to rank them ...
etc etc, until the Stanley Cup finals looser gets 29th overall and the winner gets 30th overall.

And then, by virtue of the snake draft, you turn it around and the cup finalist gets 31 first overall ...

cjbhab*

ToMaLe said:
And the only poster to dump on someone in this thread is you, a hab fan, their all the same!! And by the way the Leafs wouldnt have a better shot at #1 then the overwhemling majority of the teams in the NHL.

thats the problem, they shouldnt have any shot at number 1, there should only be 5-7 teams who have a shot, and they should be crap teams like chicago, atlanta, columbus, pittsburgh, and dont tell me they already have prospects cuz it doesnt matter.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I have very low expectations for the draft this year. The only hitch that would annoy the living hell out of me would be if they docked Florida and Washington for winning the lotto the last few years after years of teams like Atlanta and the Isle picking multiple top 1-3.

1 for 30 would be fine w/me, but if it's weighted, nothing beyond the past 3 years.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Explain why Detroit or Toronto, two aging teams with serious cap issues and no room to sign UFAs, and who might have to buy out long time players like Lidstrom/MCarty, deserve no chance at drafting Crosby.

Explain why Washington, which has a ton of young talent and the cap room to go out and purchase several UFAs at rock bottom prices, deserves a chance?

Seriously.
30 names in a hat is the only equitable way.

Or get rid of the draft and hold a huge draft next season, when we have ACTUAL RESULTS.

I couldn't have said it better. The best way is to cancel it and wait until next season, but that won't happen so give every team an equal chance.

cjbhab*

hell, we might as well just raise the draft eligibility age to 19 and hold the draft next year, and have 2 drafts. That might be interesting.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:
shut up!..

i'm not a leafs fan ...

I'm a habs fan but i'm making it FAIR for all teams. If Toronto ends up with Crosby, so BE IT! .. I'm not going around trying to find the best possible draft order for the Montreal Canadiens.

All those "horrible years" by Washington, Pittsburgh and whoever else alraedy got them GOOD PICKS....why shoudl those years be taken into consideration AGAIN when they have already been taken into consideration..

A team like Toronto spends ..what..? About 60-65 M $ payroll ...yet they make so much profits every year, they got locked out for a year and they deserve to get a decent chance at a #1 pick. They will lose Nolan, Possibly Belfour , and possibly other players as well. Same thing with Detroit, Philly and Colorado.

You think Colorado will be the same when Sakic, Forsberg, Blake leaves because of cap issues? You think Selanne and Kariya are going to stay?

Here's certain players the Habs had 2-3 yrs ago and they aren't with the team anymore, why does that "year" be taken into consideration when the team isn't even close to what it is today:

Czerkawski instead of Ryder
Berezin instead of Kovalev
Petrov instead of whoever
Hackett instead of Huet
Gilmour instead of Ribeiro
Perreault instead of Bonk
Dykhuis instead of Souray
Traverse instead of Komisarek
Audette instead of Perezhogin?

the team's are COMPLETELY different then what they were...there is absolutely no reason to go back many seasons to try to make it fair when fair is right in front of our faces by making it all equal chances draft.

I'm sure many teams can do exactly what I did with their lineups, it's not FAIR... Colorado,Detorit, Toronto, Boston, and many other teams won't be even close to what they were last season yet we are suppose to go back 2-3 yrs to see how they did and put them in the end of the draft or a very low chance of getting a good pick?

Couldn't agree more ! :clap:
For example, Washington made the playoffs six times out of the last 10 seasons. After a horrendous start 18 months ago, they tanked the season, dealing several stars (Jagr, Gonchar and Lang), as well as other valuable assets (Konowalchuk and Grier). Such moves rewarded them with numerous draft picks and a few more solid prospects. Still, for the one season they tanked, they ended up with the first selection in a draft, acquiring ovechkin whom, at that time, many felt was miles in front of everybody else. In fact, after making the playoffs 6 times out of 9 years, they had one very bad year and then acquired one of the best prospects available in the last 5-10 years. Furthermore, Washington exactly has 4 players under contract for the 2005-06 season (Kolzig, Semin, Gordon and Darcy "superstar" Verot), with a dozen more restricted free agents, the most part who will probably have to settle for the team's qualifying offer (Pettinger, Peat, Emonger, Sutehrby, Wilsie, Whitfield, Morrisonn. etc.). You see the picture, Washington will have millions to spend on the unrestricted free agent market. If they are somehow committed, they could definetely acquire two top-6 forwards and one top-3 defenseman. That's how much cap room they have. With that in mind, why does Washington deserve Crosby more than Detroit who will probably have to buy out one or two very valuable players ?? How can we condiser 04-05 projections when there was no season, and when crappy teams of the season before were already rewarded in the 2004 entry draft ! I root for a 30-ball lottery, each and every team having a legitimate shot at Crosby. I'd be very disappointed if the league settles with a somehow weighted lottery. And I swear that if my team, Montréal, ends up picking 25th, I will live with it, probably being sad but not cursing against an unweighted lottery. :habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad