Player Discussion How overpaid is Timothy Liljegren?

How overpaid is Timothy Liljegren?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Underpaid for how Keefe has sabotaged his career.

keefe is not responsible for liljegren lack of hockey IQ. He dont recognize whats happening in front of him. keefe cant still continu tk babysit him come game 70 of regular season or playoff game 1, he need to be able to trust him when its matter and he never showed he was able.

Crazy how Leaf fans pile on Dmen regularly. Kid is 24 and still learning the game.... He's done quite well most of the year, though it's been a rough patch lately. He's the second best D, in GA/60, next to Benoit on this team.

If we actually trade him, we will absolutely regret it in a few years... just no patience, and a tendency for dramatic judgement on young players. It's like you are either a star, or crap with this fanbase.

hes also the dman who played the easier matchup amount all leafs D.

1-Liljegren progression last 3 season is pretty bad

2- Liljegren is only 7 month younger than Benoit, the difference between both is Benoit progression still continu to increase. So if i have someone on who i will bet to become 1 day a top 4 dman between both, its Benoit.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The reason that Liljegren struggled is due to Giordano? And this year it's Marchant? Now you're preemptively blaming the fans? At least you're consistent.
I didn’t say he struggled. He was pretty average, the metrics bare that out. I think there’s a perception flaw with two way D. Relative to the year before, he was seen to be struggling when he wasn’t and his partner was declining.

A high ankle sprain is legit.

And I’m more talking about the team making that error than it being fan driven, but there’s some influence from media and fans I’m sure. I just wish fans considered the context before the narrative.

The gymnastics is Olympic worthy.
This comment just illustrates an unwillingness to consider factors that effect play. You do you.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I didn’t say he struggled. He was pretty average, the metrics bare that out. I think there’s a perception flaw with two way D. Relative to the year before, he was seen to be struggling when he wasn’t and his partner was declining.

A high ankle sprain is legit.

And I’m more talking about the team making that error than it being fan driven, but there’s some influence from media and fans I’m sure. I just wish fans considered the context before the narrative.

This comment just illustrates an unwillingness to consider factors that effect play. You do you.
Fans don't make trades.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Relax people. Typical leafs fans pushing a kid out the door. He’s played 187 games. The old adage is that it takes a defenceman about 200 games for them to start understanding the position. He has his ups and downs.

It was a good gamble at the draft just didn't work out
That’s the spirit. I mean shit, the kids 24. Might as well retire by now.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
keefe is not responsible for liljegren lack of hockey IQ. He dont recognize whats happening in front of him. keefe cant still continu tk babysit him come game 70 of regular season or playoff game 1, he need to be able to trust him when its matter and he never showed he was able.

hes also the dman who played the easier matchup amount all leafs D.

1-Liljegren progression last 3 season is pretty bad

2- Liljegren is only 7 month younger than Benoit, the difference between both is Benoit progression still continu to increase. So if i have someone on who i will bet to become 1 day a top 4 dman between both, its Benoit.
Keefes job is to babysit these guys. Liljegren is still learning. It’s takes defenceman a lot longer to learn at the nhl level. The path to the NHL isn’t always a straight line.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Keefes job is to babysit these guys. Liljegren is still learning. It’s takes defenceman a lot longer to learn at the nhl level. The path to the NHL isn’t always a straight line.

keefe job with leafs is winning not babysitting. he can babysit game 15-20 but he can still babysit anymore game 60-70. He need player he can trust coming playoff time.

Sep 18, 2009
Relax people. Typical leafs fans pushing a kid out the door. He’s played 187 games. The old adage is that it takes a defenceman about 200 games for them to start understanding the position. He has his ups and downs.

That’s the spirit. I mean shit, the kids 24. Might as well retire by now.
Exactly

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
keefe job with leafs is winning not babysitting. he can babysit game 15-20 but he can still babysit anymore game 60-70. He need player he can trust coming playoff time.
He has players he can trust. The veterans. He still has to babysit the young guys. That’s what coaches do.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
He has players he can trust. The veterans. He still has to babysit the young guys. That’s what coaches do.

come playoff time, he need to get the final roster ready for playoff, not babysitting young player. Its time to get ready for playoff

Thats what every coach in playoff team doing. Right now thats doesn't matter if you're 35 or 20 y/o, the only thing matter is can i trust enough in important situation to keep you on the ice

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Are we comparing Liljegren's salary to the league's standard or to the Leafs own internal cap structure?

Because it seems to me there's a pretty big difference. If we're gonna compare Liljegren to the rest of the bottom pairing defensemen in the league he's probably grossly overpaid. Compared to the stars on this team, however, and he's criminally underpaid.

It's all relative.

Liljegren stinks. I don't need another 13 games to know that. I'm pretty sure the magical 200 games number only counts if he hits it before age 22.

It doesn't apply to struggling 24 years olds seven years after they've been drafted.

The Leafs aren't a development team. This is supposed to be a contender doing everything they can to win a cup. Guys who still need developing should be getting traded for players who know how to play good hockey now.

That includes Lilybust and his $1.4M cap hit.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Are we comparing Liljegren's salary to the league's standard or to the Leafs own internal cap structure?

Because it seems to me there's a pretty big difference. If we're gonna compare Liljegren to the rest of the bottom pairing defensemen in the league he's probably grossly overpaid. Compared to the stars on this team, however, and he's criminally underpaid.

It's all relative.

Liljegren stinks. I don't need another 13 games to know that. I'm pretty sure the magical 200 games number only counts if he hits it before age 22.

It doesn't apply to struggling 24 years olds seven years after they've been drafted.

The Leafs aren't a development team. This is supposed to be a contender doing everything they can to win a cup. Guys who still need developing should be getting traded for players who know how to play good hockey now.

That includes Lilybust and his $1.4M cap hit.
So many words when all you had to say was “I don’t know what I’m talking about”.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Yeah, and then he will go somewhere else and become a regular and same twats will be lamenting another Leaf prospect that got away. He hasnt played 200 games in his career yet ffs.
Bust. He should be a Cale Makar or Quinn Hughes on RD by now. Pathetic. Jake Gardner or Justin Holl 3.0. (Just kidding).

I don’t like the new deadline deals because Lilly deserves ice time and needs it to grow plus Benoit deserves to be in the lineup every night.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Bust. He should be a Cale Makar or Quinn Hughes on RD by now. Pathetic. Jake Gardner or Justin Holl 3.0. (Just kidding).

I don’t like the new deadline deals because Lilly deserves ice time and needs it to grow plus Benoit deserves to be in the lineup every night.
Bench Brodie put Benoit bacc in period

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad