Player Discussion How overpaid is Timothy Liljegren?

How overpaid is Timothy Liljegren?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Someone was saying earlier this season we should lock him up to a 5Mx8 and it’ll be a steal.

Personally I feel he’s not the type you win a cup with. He’s a great bottom pairing defender for regular season hockey but I don’t want him back there in the playoffs.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Everyone was hoping he would finally take the next step in solidifying a top four role. Unfortunately he hasn’t and he’s being exposed against strong heavy teams due to his lack of physicality. As of right now he’s more of a third pair defenceman that doesn’t really excel in anything specifically… He’s not great defensively and he’s not great offensively.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The league must be heading toward a lockout if he's overpaid to any great extent.

Reactions: banks

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It is too early to make any calls on Lily .. he has made a ton of progress in his pro career .. clearly this season has not gone as everyone has hoped .. but as I tell you guys pro D take a long time to develop and as an org we have made brutal calls too early on many D in da past .. to me I would offer him da minimum wage increase next season on a 1 year deal and see how things pan out .. if he does not accept that then he becomes a holdout .. my guess is he will accept

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I've been a harsh critic of Liljegren before. But there's been really good stretches from him this season.

He doesn't seem overpaid, to me.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Crazy how Leaf fans pile on Dmen regularly. Kid is 24 and still learning the game.... He's done quite well most of the year, though it's been a rough patch lately. He's the second best D, in GA/60, next to Benoit on this team.

If we actually trade him, we will absolutely regret it in a few years... just no patience, and a tendency for dramatic judgement on young players. It's like you are either a star, or crap with this fanbase.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For now I think he is about right. That next contract is where things get interesting, he really hasn't done enough to deserve a major raise.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I understand the sentiment, but Stralman was for the most part an average NHLer. 3 seasons scoring over 30 points is decent, but TOR as a franchise can't be losing sleep over that.

I mean think of all the players let go by this club who never made it. Travis Dermott seems to be rotting in AZ right now. Stuart Percy in a Czech League, etc.

OK TOR drafted Liljegren in the 1st round (#17 OA) and didn't "hit" on him. It's ok. If he reaches average some day are they really going to regret it?
That was a weak draft. He fell for a reason.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
It was a good gamble at the draft just didn't work out

Definitely was a great gamble I thought at the time.

He really hasn’t developed anywhere near how I thought he would. His offensive abilities didn’t translate at all and I remember all the hype about his skills at the draft. Defensively he’s pretty mediocre to straight up bad like against Boston.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Short term rfa deals like Lilys arent exactly the type to fixate on value/contract comparisons since they're mostly made with a mix of potential/desire to gain more time to evaluate the player.

Like giving an elc to a potential bust - I'm not going to worry about it too much since part of the point of such a deal is to help their development

Lily's contract is in line with what similar unproven rfas tend to get in similar circumstances

Reactions: arso40

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
In an 82 game season, there will be ups and downs. The last 5 games or so don’t define Liljegren.
I think you're referring to the last 5 years, not 5 games. He's been bad for a long time now. Even when he was playing "good" he wasn't anything special and still had all the same problems, he just passed a little better and shot more.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
How would you feel if he got the Sandin contract? He only has 3 less points this season. Yikes...
I don’t understand that contract, at all.

But about Lili. I’m a firm believer in the player. People saying he hasn’t developed haven’t paid attention to how he’s evolved.

Last year his partner most of the year was a declining Gio. This year, dirty play early by Marchand leaving him with a high ankle sprain, which is slow to recover. Lots of variables contribute to his inconsistent learning curve.

The narratives are currently focused on perceived flaws without that context . The same will likely apply with playoff narratives- where he’s played a grand total of 7 games.

It’ll be a shame if he gets run outta town right when he’s liable to blossom.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don’t understand that contract, at all.

But about Lili. I’m a firm believer in the player. People saying he hasn’t developed haven’t paid attention to how he’s evolved.

Last year his partner most of the year was a declining Gio. This year, dirty play early by Marchand leaving him with a high ankle sprain, which is slow to recover. Lots of variables contribute to his inconsistent learning curve.

The narratives are currently focused on perceived flaws without that context . The same will likely apply with playoff narratives- where he’s played a grand total of 7 games.

It’ll be a shame if he gets run outta town right when he’s liable to blossom.
The reason that Liljegren struggled is due to Giordano? And this year it's Marchant? Now you're preemptively blaming the fans? At least you're consistent.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Are we serious here complaining about Lilly’s salary. OMG some really need to get some sun :)

What has the kid played just over 2 season of games ? Guess his development is over.

He plays a avg of over 19 mins a game and he is overpaid? Reaves plays what 6 mins and is a plug and can’t skate and is constantly a minus player

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad