Votes: 31 14.4%

• Total voters

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Really solid over the last 10 games.

5v5 goal leaders over the last 10:

Taveres: 5
3 others tied at 3

Solid underlying numbers too as he's had all year.

Was more or less the usual Tavares till near the end of the last calendar year with 31 points in 34 games to Dec. 29th but had a horrible stretch from then to the all star break where he had only 4 points in 14 games.

Since then, he has 7 goals and 11 points in 15 games while getting almost no PP time and playing most of his minutes with two rookies.

Earned the demotion with his play in January but never complained and has been a huge plus to the team post all star.

Add in the fact he's having the best defensive season of his career and is till a top10 in the NHL faceoff guy and I'd say his value is a lot higher than many around her are saying.

Was his 5th game winning goal of the season tonight for those who care....

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What's the going value for a center who's 51st among centers league wide in PPG?

The names surrounding him are Yegor Sharangovich, Sean Monahan, Tomas Hertl, Wyatt Johnston, and Casey Mittlestadt.

So he's being paid as an elite #1C yet his production is about in line with average 2nd line C's, a bit worse actually.

He's atleast a solid 50% overpaid. To the people who still defend this good freaking luck with that.
He's currently 102nd in p/60 at 5-on-5 among centres with at least 30 games.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Matthews marner and nylander can coast for the rest of the season and JT leading his bottom 6 buddies will still see to it that we have a > 50% points percentage over the remaining games

Simply don't understand hockey if you can't see how important JT is for this team. This thread is embarrassing. It feels like a Leaf-hating main board thread. How do you guys sit here talking so much shit about some of the best players in the league all day long.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Matthews marner and nylander can coast for the rest of the season and JT leading his bottom 6 buddies will still see to it that we have a > 50% points percentage over the remaining games

Simply don't understand hockey if you can't see how important JT is for this team. This thread is embarrassing. It feels like a Leaf-hating main board thread. How do you guys sit here talking so much shit about some of the best players in the league all day long.

It must be because the team has been so horrible lately.

I mean, over the past 20 games, they are only the 3rd best team in the league!

Not good enough!

Reactions: 4thline

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Instead of constantly whining and crying about JT… I would love to hear exactly who these wanna be armchair GMs would have signed instead of JT.

It’s always, but, but, we coulda had D and a goalie.

Name them… who could you have signed?

Reactions: The Podium

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
What's the point of this discussion in year 6 of 7? The Leafs organization shat the bed and didn't capitalize on those first 3-4 years of the deal. Complaining about this now is completely pointless
It was a bad signing at the time. They had a 2 slot centre in house with Kadri. (Yes, I know "but he was nuts") Could have and should have focused on D. If they kept Kadri,................I even wonder if the super kids would have been as greedy. Shanny moving Lou out, replacing him with Dufus. Then signing Taveras, Turning point once again of one of the biggest mickey mouse organizations in the league

Reactions: hotpaws

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Instead of constantly whining and crying about JT… I would love to hear exactly who these wanna be armchair GMs would have signed instead of JT.

Petroangelo

and i guess it's just coincidence that the Islanders with a team i kept hearing was JT and a bunch of AHLers have had the most success they've had in 40yrs the second JT walked and on the flip side he did nothing to elevate our team since he's been her

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You guys are out to lunch at 3-4 mill :laugh:

Tavares is still good for 60-70 points, solid on the dot, decent defensively with positive on ice impact.

Probably a 6-7 mill guy right now

Reactions: 4thline

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This reminds me of those games where you guess how many marbles are in the glass jar.

Closest to the actual number wins something. Except we're guessing how much the boat anchor weighs. And the prize is nothing.

Apparently most fans think Tavares is anything from $4M to $8M overpaid.

I don't think anyone is arguing Tavares is earning his fair keep. The best anyone can do is say it was expected to age poorly. Nobody is defending his compensation as appropriate though.

This is where we are at.

Everything fans said when Tavares was signed has come true. The chickens have come home to roost. The most celebrated day since the Tavares signing will be the day he comes off the books.

How much you wanna bet they use his cap space to sign another over the hill big name UFA to a retirement contract.
I like to think JT and Mitch coming off the books after next season looks really enticing to McDavid :)

Maybe a pipe dream, maybe not.

Reactions: Ports

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
When Tavares originally signed here, he was (IIRC) the second highest paid player in the League.

So, in truth the question should be how much did we over pay then ?
Because, I highly doubt even then anyone would rank him top 5 or even top 10 in the League.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
When Tavares originally signed here, he was (IIRC) the second highest paid player in the League.

So, in truth the question should be how much did we over pay then ?
Because, I highly doubt even then anyone would rank him top 5 or even top 10 in the League.

It's all hindsight as the cap was set to explode up before covid and we would have higher contracts all over league now and he was the big name UFA. Panarin signed his 11.6 contract the summer after and then covid hit and we havnt really seen the like since with all contracts having cap increases baked into them and the crazy uncertainty that's only now just lifting.

You really think Pietro was getting only 8.8 if covid doesn't happen?

Cap teams, especially any that signed big deals before covid, got absolutely screwed by this leagues mickey mouse system.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
After last night's big game, (70.88 xGF, +2, 8-4 on faceoffs, scored game winner), athletics valuation on the year currently:

Offensive rating: 86th percentile
Defensive rating: 82nd percentile

Market value: 8.4 million

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Petroangelo

and i guess it's just coincidence that the Islanders with a team i kept hearing was JT and a bunch of AHLers have had the most success they've had in 40yrs the second JT walked and on the flip side he did nothing to elevate our team since he's been her
Word on the street is Alex didn’t want to come here… got anyone else?

Seriously, who were you gonna sign in July 2018?

And yeah, the Islanders, still suck.

Reactions: banks

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

I was thrilled when we signed him it's not about 'who would YOU have signed' for the majority of people.

It's about this guy making double what he should be during what will be a couple of this teams prime contending years. The contract was signed in 2018, most were over the moon, the issue is what we do now in 2024.

BUT to answer your question Alex Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Word on the street is Alex didn’t want to come here… got anyone else?

Seriously, who were you gonna sign in July 2018?

And yeah, the Islanders, still suck.
yup the old word on the street that everyone who Dubas could have signed didn't want to come here . lol , pretty standard line from his followers

could have also signed Tanev as well as Brodie . i guess however the little birdies told you he didn't want to sign here either

we could have used the money and the large amount of picks Dubas traded on rentals on a D with term . i guess however there were none traded the last 5 years that fit that description

and the Islanders may suck but they suck much much much less without JT

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports and TMLife17

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
After last night's big game, (70.88 xGF, +2, 8-4 on faceoffs, scored game winner), athletics valuation on the year currently:

Offensive rating: 86th percentile
Defensive rating: 82nd percentile

Market value: 8.4 million
Amazing value for someone in the last 2 years of a UFA contract.

Everyone knew the last few years would see a regression, but you're not thinking about the last 2 years of a contract when you get to sign a number 1 C in free agency. The team unfortunately squandered those first 5 years and the covid crunch hurt a lot.

But wow.. you'd think he was a donkey like matt duchene or ryan johansen but no, JT is still out there killing it, still a top 30 C in the league, only paid a few mil over on the tail end of a UFA deal. Amazing value

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think he is a 6 million dollar player.

What is that in %? 80-90%? I read it like if he were 5.5m player he would be 100% overpaid. I guess you could say he gives you 50% of his 11m pay in performance.

I wish you used $

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
Do we resign Tavares when his deal is done, I personally would only do it if hes agrees to 4m for 3 years. Anything over that, I will let him walk. Currently he's probably playing around a 7m dollar player.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
could have also signed Tanev as well as Brodie
We did sign Brodie, and these names are from 2020, not 2018.
we could have used the money and the large amount of picks Dubas traded on rentals on a D with term
We did use our picks on a D with term - Muzzin. We also got multiple years out of Giordano.
and the Islanders may suck but they suck much much much less without JT
Actually, they suck more without Tavares. They suck less with competent goaltending, competent coaching, a peaking defense core, and expensive short-term benefit moves.

Reactions: WillyC

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

Kept Kadri and Hyman? Signed Pietrangelo? Signed Markstrom? Ian Cole?

Why did we have to strap ourselves in immediately in 2018? Sign some plugs until we could fill the holes with the right players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad