Votes: 17 8.7%
  • Less than 40%

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • More than 70%

Votes: 30 15.3%

• Total voters

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
While I see him as a 3-4M player I dont agree on the part of third line being killed

Our 3rd line wingers are ass and so is Tavares mostly

Bobby McMann rode 5 hot games and had like 9 pts in them. Hes a scrub.

Jarnkrok is declining to with his play being poor before he got injured

McMann shouldnt be in the NHL
Jarnkrok is a 4th liner whose 2 years from being out the NHL
Tavares ia 3rd line whose 3 years away from being done in the NHL
his wingers aren't much but they do work hard and cover for him while he floats in open spaces and McMann as you said was on a heater before JT came to save to 3rd line , lol

he also got Nicky Bobbie demoted to the press box

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
then I guess panarin is just the best contract of all time

his worst season is better than tavares's best. similar playoff performer too LOL

and he'd be overpaid at Deceber 31 too, go back to november 17 where he had 19 in 16 and then you'll get maybe a guy worth it, but he had to play with a guy who had 25 in 16 to do it.
He would've only been overpaid by 40% or more on December 31 if he was overpaid by 40% or more the day he signed the contract (he quite obviously wasn't).

The other is some very weird logic that no one believes that you likely made up to make someone else look dumb but did the opposite. Nice work?

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
EVERYONE knew the end of this contract wouldn't be pretty.

I'm just looking forward to the day we can use that 11M on some new players to bring better depth to this team.

Reactions: Obo and CincoHolio

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He would've only been overpaid by 40% or more on December 31 if he was overpaid by 40% or more the day he signed the contract (he quite obviously wasn't).

The other is some very weird logic that no one believes that you likely made up to make someone else look dumb but did the opposite. Nice work?
Are you trying to argue a player can’t be overpaid unless they got overpaid at the time of signing?

Wtf does his abilities at the time of signing have to do with his past 2 years of shitty play.

So it’s not possible for a player to underperform a contract then?

What did I make up btw? That panarin is a better player? That’s obvious to anyone who has eyes

That he had to play with a 130 point player to be over a ppg? Go check hockey reference and you’ll see

So nice “thoughtful” response

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
The question is much easier answered if you think of it like "if JT was a UFA this coming summer, what would you sign him for?"

Maybe like a 2 yr deal at $4M per?

Then consider he's actually signed next year and there is the possibility of a further regression. So he's definitely overpaid now but 12 months from now we may be looking at moving on altogether (or one of those Spezza league min deals even)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Lol, this thread. This place sure does love to massively undervalue our players and show zero understanding of contract valuation.

Reactions: Craig Button

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
He's definitely overpaid for what he brings. He's on pace for about 60 pts this year, and isnt great defensively. So based on this year, he probably should be making around $6.5M. Comparable is Sean Monahan in numbers. So > 70%.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Why are we talking about cap hits with the playoffs near. JT is a beast and he's gonna bring the compete level like he always does. That's all you should care about.

• Love
Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Meh, He's got one more year after this same as Mitch, and then everything changes.

I don't really like calling him overpaid because that was the price to get him. You can argue "well we shouldn't have signed him" and that's fair enough I guess.

It is what it is. Not really a big deal to me.

Reactions: CincoHolio

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What's the going value for a center who's 51st among centers league wide in PPG?

The names surrounding him are Yegor Sharangovich, Sean Monahan, Tomas Hertl, Wyatt Johnston, and Casey Mittlestadt.

So he's being paid as an elite #1C yet his production is about in line with average 2nd line C's, a bit worse actually.

He's atleast a solid 50% overpaid. To the people who still defend this good freaking luck with that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What's the going value for a center who's 51st among centers league wide in PPG?

The names surrounding him are Yegor Sharangovich, Sean Monahan, Tomas Hertl, Wyatt Johnston, and Casey Mittlestadt.

So he's being paid as an elite #1C yet his production is about in line with average 2nd line C's, a bit worse actually.

He's atleast a solid 50% overpaid. To the people who still defend this good freaking luck with that.

He trails Ryan O'Reilly by 10 points in the scoring race... while having not very evident leadership abilities quietly leading nobody to nowhere.

Just like how Winnipeg took a big step with a new set of voices with Blake Wheeler gone, I think I would let Tavares go just to have that culture shift.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The back end of UFA deals like this generally always hurt. Hence why it was so important to be at our best when we got prime years out of him. Realistically, he probably needs to be moved to the wing due to his lack of foot speed, but we don't really have a strong 2nd line center to replace him. No one expected him to be as good in year 6 as he was in years 1 and 2. Anyone who expected any different is just ignoring traditional player curves as they age.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
There's a lot of hate on Tavares here. He's the silent leader type. It's pretty clear this group of players cannot operate under a silent leader. There's a reason Reeves was brought in, and it wasn't only to punch faces.

Reactions: Ports

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This reminds me of those games where you guess how many marbles are in the glass jar.

Closest to the actual number wins something. Except we're guessing how much the boat anchor weighs. And the prize is nothing.

Apparently most fans think Tavares is anything from $4M to $8M overpaid.

I don't think anyone is arguing Tavares is earning his fair keep. The best anyone can do is say it was expected to age poorly. Nobody is defending his compensation as appropriate though.

This is where we are at.

Everything fans said when Tavares was signed has come true. The chickens have come home to roost. The most celebrated day since the Tavares signing will be the day he comes off the books.

How much you wanna bet they use his cap space to sign another over the hill big name UFA to a retirement contract.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The back end of UFA deals like this generally always hurt. Hence why it was so important to be at our best when we got prime years out of him. Realistically, he probably needs to be moved to the wing due to his lack of foot speed, but we don't really have a strong 2nd line center to replace him. No one expected him to be as good in year 6 as he was in years 1 and 2. Anyone who expected any different is just ignoring traditional player curves as they age.
He is 33

Look at Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, OV, Kopitar etc during their 32/33 year seasons

His decline is really quick when compared to other superstars of his generation

Heck RoR and Kadri from 2009 draft are better players than him at the same age

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is 33

Look at Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Kane, OV, Kopitar etc during their 32/33 year seasons

His decline is really quick when compared to other superstars of his generation

Heck RoR and Kadri from 2009 draft are better players than him at the same age
Stamkos has been bailed out by being moved to the wing. Tavares until recently was getting tough usage as a do everything center and his lack of foot speed is showing. I do think Tavares has a 2nd wind in him, but he probably needs to be moved to LW. We just don't have the center to accommodate it.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
GM’s generally structure deals to overpay players in their final years. He’s obviously declining but to be honest it could be much worse. He’s still chipping in from time to time and shows a lot of “intangibles”. His skating is a concern and I like many others would like to see him on the wing. I’m sure he would have gotten the same deal elsewhere but it was questionable for us to sign him to that figure before our core came into their own as he’s exiting his window when he would have had the biggest impact. It was a silly move in hindsight, but at this point that’s what it is.

Reactions: Ports

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Regardless of what anyone thinks, he is the only 10mil+ guy who consistently goes to the dirty areas. That matters.

I actually think he is better away from the other 3. But should be on PP1.

Reactions: Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Nice game-winning goal by the Captain tonight.

I didn’t notice many other Leafs going to the front of the net like that. He put himself in the right place at the right time.

Leafs win in regulation, thanks to the Tavares goal.

Very nicely done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad